Home General Discussion

the problem with 'tech' these days

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
flaagan polycounter lvl 18
http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2006/01/22/all_for_one/1.html

In my opinion a spot-on article about the tech being released these days. I mean, when we got our new cell phones... i really just wanted a good quality phone without any wizz-bang features... no dice. Had to get one with camera and verizon's damn 'get it now' stuff integrated into the menus and whatnot. It's annoying. And as much as I love the psp (and have used it's video playback features to show stuff to friends on the go), the number of random gizmos that do random junk is growing at an exponential rate... I mean, look at the ipod... who can really say they enjoy watching video on a screen smaller than the palm of their hand?

Replies

• Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Everything has to be multifunktional nowadays it seems, even tho the customerbase doesnt propably use 80% of the features.
    It started with every electronic thing having a clock.
    Soon you can surf teh web with your microwave and store mp3s on a spoon.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    One word: iLoo
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It started with every electronic thing having a clock.
    Soon you can surf teh web with your microwave and store mp3s on a spoon.

[/ QUOTE ]

That made me laugh out loud! laugh.gif

That being said, I like all my electronic devices having a clock. I'm useless at keeping track of time.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I built a clock into some sticks of dynamite I had lying around, didn't work out
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My cellphone is an ancient Nokia one that has neither a color display nor Java. I've never thought "man, I'd love to do __________ with this thing". Mostly because I have a DS and don't need any crappy cellphone games.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    ditto KDR. it phones people, I've never understood why I'd want it for anything else
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The phone..
    You see it has reached its limits, you cant make the phone part much better so people would just keep their old ones and use them and company making the phones gets no profit?
    HELL NO!!
    So you turn it into a multifunktional THING!
    Its not a puny phone its an accessory with all the cool in the world brewn into it, with cool phone you can achive ANYTHING and the opposite sex just cant resist you.
    OH YEAH!!

..i hate phones.
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    Not all of the added features are a waste, they may just not be used to their potential. Some of the stuff I'm been working on at work (can't really say much more than that) is really freaking cool and would add some real functionality to it, which wouldn't be possible without some of those extra bells and wistles.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I mean, when we got our new cell phones... i really just wanted a good quality phone without any wizz-bang features... no dice. Had to get one with camera and verizon's damn 'get it now' stuff integrated into the menus and whatnot. It's annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya and Amen! Almost 2 years into my contract and I still have days I can't get into my voice mail because someone, somewhere, decided that for some reason my pass code is invallid and I have to call to get it reset. My pass code is set to automaticly enter when I select voicemail. So its not like I am entering it incorrectly. Its the same as it was the day before. It doesn't expire or so the tell me. This happens about once a month even if I change it several times.

Maybe things have progressed in the 2 years I haven't been looking at phones. The ads I see, sure seem to feature phones with tons of crap I don't want and or need. Based on this lil bastard I own right now, I feel the urge to break all cell phones in my reach anytime it acts up. I feel like this guy sometimes.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Since we are targeting the phone here, I'll bring up my observation/irritation wink.gif Have you noticed that as phones have 'advanced' the reception has gotten worse? My phone drops out all the time and I can hear my voice echo through the phone sometimes. Prior to them going all digital, I had a Motorola that sounded great and rarely lost a call.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    it keeps me employed, so shhhh..
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I mean, look at the ipod... who can really say they enjoy watching video on a screen smaller than the palm of their hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

thats why you get the Nano.

primary function: Look good
    secondary function: play music

i love my ipd nano laugh.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    I have been saying this for years (well at least concerning phones), and my current phone is the most basic I could get back then (hmm is it really older than 4 years already?).

But the interesting part is that I could very well imagine extra features I would use (and sometimes hear rumors about stuff like this in Japan) but it just isn't available in Europe, and every attempt to establish anything like that (i-mode for example) was so utterly flawed and insanely overpriced that it was predestinated to fail.

But screw those tiny cameras and other gadjets in phones that have basicly no real use and only deplete the battery.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I'm actually on the opposite end. My phone has a 2 mp camera, and a 2 gig MP3 player, FM radio, and I use all of it. It's a darn good phone too. Tons of battery life, even when using all the features. I like carrying one gadget to be my mp3 player, radio, casual camera (takes great pictures) and cell phone.

poop.gif
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    poop dont forget the mention the built in creme brulee torch!
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    also, sound cards are getting better by adding more speaker support too! Pure innovation and very creative right?
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    People with the Walkie-talkie built into the phones coordinate to all show up any time I go to the movie theater.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I don't like the idea of breaking down in the middle of nowhere and my battery is dead because of some gwar song.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I don't have much of a preference on whether MP3 players are built into cell phones because I own neither.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I just got this super fancy cellphone. samsung sgh-d600 slide phone.

What a waste of money.

They cant even get Interactive design down. I'm selling it and I'm gunna buy a 60$ shit phone.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    screw phones man, my belt buckle gots mp3 support and video out!, gives my girl something to do while shes S'n the D.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/7c60/

its not that cool, but i thought this ws the appropiate thread.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    My but aren't you the gentleman, that belt just screams I want attention too much for my taste, though I am in the market for an obnoxiously large belt buckle now that I don't have a gut to get in the way...
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    "A friend of mine during the football games last week bleeped (“walkie talkie ”) me like 40 times during the whole fu^%ing game! The funny thing is he was just 20 feet away from me in a sports bar." Talk about abuse of technology!

Marcus Dublin
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    my phone is one of those normal ones, it doesnt flip open, it doesnt have a camera. it calls people. ive never wanted it to do more, so i dont get when people have these razor things (my girlfriend has a razor i hate it) that have all these functions and are hundreds of dollars and look really fragile. my mp3 player is a creative 30 gb one, they dont even make them anymore as far as i know, i havent found one anywhere else since may. it is large, and people always talk about that first and foremost. not "30 gigs! wow!" but "thats huge you should have got a nano" and i say "a nano sucks because it cannot hold anything and has the shortest lifespan i have ever seen on anything ever"
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Some of the features are superb - like when they added address books.

I like that my phone has an alarm function that is different for weekends than weekdays.

I like that the bluetooth is a remote that I can use to control my itunes from a different room (i have networked audio)

I love my text messages

it plays MP3s, but I have an ipod, if i didn't have an ipod i would be 130 quid better off by using the phone.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, I hate phones, all phones cell or land lines.

I would never own a cellphone because I would never, ever wanna be able to be phoned anywhere I am and I would not want to feel hypocrital about all the stupid people I've cussed at who are talking on their phone while driving.

I do know two different guys who's marriages have broken up because they did not have the flip phones. smile.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I see the same problem with game consoles that play DVDs. Not that they have them, but that people think they are required on a console. I don't want my Nintendo to play DVD's. I already have a DVD player. THREE actually! Just keep it simple and play a game.

And those stupid PSP movies. $300 for a fragile handheld device that plays low quality movies and old PS1 games.

The problem with tech today, is the marketing team behind new gadgets have fooled us all to by their useless toys in order to "be cool". Expendable income, gone.

I use a cell phone instead of a home phone. Seems stupid to have both. I answer it when I feel like it. Never while I'm driving, or in a theater. No cool features on my phone. No need for a camera, I already have a camera. Text messaging on a phone = dumb.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Text messaging on a phone = dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

I type "Pub. Malt Shovel, 7pm" send to Woody, Erik, Fin, Ian, Alan. Much better than 5 phone calls.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Text messaging makes sense because it doesn't require the receipent to be able to phone at the moment, it'll be there when he turns on the phone and unlike the "mailbox" it's automatically received and doesn't cost anything to check.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    Seems to me anyone bashing multi-functional technology from a computer is a bit hypocritical laugh.gif

It all comes down to what you need and what you already have: My dad has been looking for an MP3 player and a new digital camera for a trip overseas, if he can get them both in one unit for $200 less than they'd cost separately, only have to deal with one set of batteries, one thing to plug into his laptop, etc, I think that's great. If my cousin can get a cheap camera, celphone and portable email system in one package she clips to her backpack, what's wrong with that?

And if someone wants to spend all that money so he can have the newest multifunctional gadget to show off to his friends and never actually use, hey, that's his choice too, and it's nothing new either.

I've never had a problem getting as little or as much technology as I want, and if I don't have a use for something, that doesn't mean no one else does.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My computer is fast and responsive and has an optimal interface despite having all this functionality (though the CPU could be a bit more optimized). My cellphone is slow and the interface sucks. Plus my computer doesn't need to fit into my pocket. If I need any of the extra stuff cellphones offer I just take my PDA with me that has an interface that's vastly superior to that of any cellphone. And yes, that PDA does fit into my pocket though I prefer to keep that stuff in the backpack.

The computer has only a single purpose: computing! laugh.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Seems to me anyone bashing multi-functional technology from a computer is a bit hypocritical laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, because multifunctionality of computers has never caused any issue :P
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    My computer is fast and responsive and has an optimal interface despite having all this functionality

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, because multifunctionality of computers has never caused any issue :P

[/ QUOTE ]

Red-D3DLAMAYA-2.jpg

laugh.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you've NEVER had your computer crash or lose performance? I can pop a bunch of windows up also and take a screenie, that doesn't mean it was doing it well wink.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It crashed a few times, yes, but I'm not going to pretend I haven't seen other devices crash. It's especially interesting with cellphones and PDAs (hell, my PDA crashes almost every day I use it!).
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    It will be a dark day for the world indeed when your fridge crashes or your oven gives you a bluescreen.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    So you've NEVER had your computer crash or lose performance? I can pop a bunch of windows up also and take a screenie, that doesn't mean it was doing it well wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Er, yeah, that was my point, which is why I chose a shot of Maya wink.gif
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    i agree, text messaguing is useful
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How is text messaging useful? It takes ages to type anything.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    E-HELMET ROCKS YOUR WORLD!!!

edork28.jpg
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    How is text messaging useful? It takes ages to type anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Predictive text actually makes it pretty damn quick now. It can be really useful. Sending someone directions or times or what bar to meet at. I dunno, but it can be useful. Particularly If youve just spoken to someone, need to exchange further info and can't be arsed to call them again. Plus as Rick says the feature of mass texting is pretty cool.

One thing I've noticed after just spending a month there is that text messaging in the UK is absolutely prolific. Coming back here nobody uses it at all. Weird. Perhaps it's just that Americans simply love to talk, and the more reserved Brits would prefer to arrange something without picking up the phone. I dunno, odd.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    also texts can be saved, if someone calls you and goes "party at 8, between 45th on 46th on lex number 403 apt 7a ask for timmy" then you forget, you dont have to call them. you jusst look at your text. then again this is a poor example as nobody has ever invited me to a party. frown.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So are you using another device to actually type in long strings of letters, or are you actually standing there punching that into your phone? Can I send a text msg like an email? Or use any kind of device that was actually built for typing? Because a phone, even though it has little letters next to the numbers is not an efficent typing tool. I've never signed up for text msg because I always thought it would take me 3 years to stand there pressing numbers until my fingers fall off;
    "7,2,777,8,999 space 2,8 space 8 space 22,33,8,9,33,33,6 space 45,8,4 space ect..." (party at 8, between 45th )

That is my biggest turn off to text messaging, it seems like a big waste of time. I have things to do and none of them involve spending the next 7 hours pretending to be a German code breaker in WW2.

If that isn't the case, if you can use a "computer" to send text msgs then there needs to be more pupblic education and less stupid comerical about people with big strong thumbs who are "text champs".

Oh and why do people think that because the volume of thier phone is cranked up they have to yell back? So not only do you hear the person on the other end screaming, they are screaming also...

Ok and what is up with the nextel walkie-talkie phones? Not everyone wants to hear your conversation no matter how important you think you are. If you have one or know of the benifits I would love to hear it.

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Vig, like Daz said, with predictive text messaging, it really doesn't take long. I can type and send "party at 8, between 45th" on my phone in less than 15 seconds. How is that a big waste of time?

Have you ever phoned someone when they're at a party or in a noisy area and can't work out what the hell they're saying? You just end up shouting "What?!" into the phone - with text messaging you can just read it, no trouble.

I'm not one of these people who sends text messages to everyone all the time ... but sometimes it's cheaper, easier and faster to just send a 2-line text message with vital information, than it is to actually call someone.

Seriously, it's not as bad as you think it is.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Jeezus tap dancing christ! Alright, FINE! There's nothing wrong with text messaging! If it's that important to send two words to five guys...fine! Unless you're driving at 85 mph. Don't give me that look. I've seen it happen. I was the passenger.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you punch him in the face afterwards? (And wasn't 75MPH the highest speed limit within the US?)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In Montana we have a rule "as fast as conditions allow". Which means there is no speed limit but use common sense. They tried to impose a 75mph speed limit state wide but it was repealed a few months later.

And yes people only do the speed limit when a B/W is behind them, so doing 85mph is not uncommon in uncongested areas.
    On most highways in urban areas you are lucky if you can get up to the speed limit most hours of the day. In outlaying areas where cops and traffic are sparce you start to gather a line up of cars if you do only 10mph over the speed limit.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig you have to sign up for text messsages??
    Thats like weird...
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    No, there's a few rare 85's in Florida and out west.

People go the speed limit in the states?

Ok, some of the older folk do, and occasionally cops do the speed limit.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In Montana we have a rule "as fast as conditions allow".

Let me guess, most drivers just drive their favourite speed with blatant disregard of the conditions?