Home Technical Talk

Photoshop CS2 ---> Max 7 problem

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Hey all, if there's any place that could help me with this issue I'm positive it's here.

I always work with Max 7 and CS2 open at the same time so I can update my textures on the fly. The process for me is to work on a .PSD then save .tga. The material in Max is recognizing .tga's. Now, normally when I save the file it automatically updates the texture in max. However, after doing this for an hour or so Max will decide to no longer update the texture. I have to save my work and reboot the application.

The texture I'm working on is 2048x204, my machine has 2gb's of RAM and is a brand new, high-end, machine.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, weird... I've never had that problem.
    What I'm wondering is, why don't you just use the PSD you're working with? Max reads them fine - no need to use a TGA, surely?
    Or are you working with some sort of non-standard shader material?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I've had this problem before, but only when working with large PSD files. I've found that if your file is too large, when you save it Max and Photoshop fight over it, and Max wont update it. Not sure about the targa issue though. How large is your texture file?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'd rather work with the file as how it'll be saved. I know I could use the PSD but that'd take even longer to load.

:S
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Slum's right, PSD's over a certain file will error when being read directly by Max. Saving as a TGA is the way to go. Adam, when you have that update problem, try changing your save action to a different file name, then have max look at that new file name. Toggle back and forth each time you reach that problem point. Not sure if that will work, but it's an idea.

poop.gif
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i have had the same problem with the .tga not loading after a little while in max. but i did find a small work around. if its something i plan on working on all day, like 8 hours or so i make a little macroscript, here is an example

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> Bitmaptexture fileName:"C:\Documents and Settings\arshlevon\Desktop\SP_1.jpg".bitmaptex.Reload()</pre><hr />
    this reloads my texture and views it in its current state in max. all you have to do is change the path from what i have to what you need. just copy it and paste it in max script window then select the code and drag it and drop it on a toolbar someplace. i usually drop it up by my render teapots. you can even go further and make it a full on macro script and assign it to a shortcut key in max and just change the file path. you can also copy the script several times like 3 or 4 and replace the mulitple paths with that of several textures if the model you are working on contains more than one texture, and when the script is executed they will all update at once.

hope this helps.