Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Shambler

Zergxes
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
This fellow went from polys to sub-ds to polys again. My plan is to put him into zbrush next, but I figured I should get some crit before I rush ahead and finish UVing him.

shamble_inprog_thumb.jpg

Turn-Table 2.94 MB Quicktime

He's changed a bit since the turntable, the stills are more current.

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Hey he looks kind of cool. I think you should present it on a lighter background, it's a bit hard to see what's going on at the bottom. A three point lighting set up would help too. When I first saw it, because of the presentation, I couldn't see the interesting stuff you had going on.

Very nice meshwork, and post your progress as you go, this guy should end up pretty nice.

poop.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I think its a really cool model, I like the general proportions.
    To my personal tastes, I think it should be more muscle-bulky than fat-bulky, and the mouth doesn't seem very threatening- I think its the flat teeth, which are reminiscent of a herbivore. He looks as if he'd be more comfortable chomping the leaves off the upper branches of a tree, rather than rending me limb from limb.

of course its your interpretation of a shambler so maybe thats your intention- look forward to seeing where you go with it. I've always wanted to do a high poly shambler too!
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's the cool thing about the shambler, I've seen no fewer than 4 different interpretations of it. I think the original model had enough specifics and enough vagueness to get people's imaginations running.

I think the way he moved he always struck me as fat. Yeah, I gave him naked mole rat face. I figured he didn't kill efficently so much as he kind of toyed with his prey, maliciously. I kind of saw him as the "Lenny" of the Quake world.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took a break from this guy and now I'm back to it. Too many unfinished projects on the stove. Still pretty green with the Zbrush. I'm going for a naked-mole rat shambler with electrical burns instead of fur. Crit away!

shamble_thumb.jpg
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Lookin better. More Zbrush detail would be cool even. Deeper scars, more minor fat folds and skin stretching stress points maybe? Hes also pretty smooth still, give him a subtle texture in zbrush ( projection mapper kinda stuff)

Also I cant wait to see him posed if you ever get around to it.
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    shambler-po.jpg

Wish I'd looked at this thread sooner so I could've helped earlier, but I did a bit of a paintover. You look like you've got hints of the anatomy underneath his skin, but aren't totally sure of how everything goes. I don't know if you'll want to go quite this defined with it, but I agree with rooster it might be better if it looked more muscley than fatty, at least in areas where muslce would show through (arms, back, legs).
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great paintover! It helped a billion. This fix isn't exactly paint-by-numbers but hopefully it is an improvement.

shamble_inprog3.jpg
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yet another update...

the epic shambler toss.

shambler_toss_med.jpg

Yep, obviously have some weight painting to do and some more painting passes.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet.
    Best High poly shambler EVER.
    Everony else insists on making them so muscular. I always assumed they were flubsy bastards. I love you.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yeah damnit its looking sweet laugh.gif
    it looks a lot more threatening with the new version
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! I like your version a lot, too Rooster. The teeth are killer.

I was thinking it would be cool to get him into Q4 as a monster to add some mayhem to CTF, and for level folks to use if they wanted. I'm forseeing the need for a lot of tech advice in the near future.

Anyone know the particulars of efficent rigging for Q4? I took a peek at the mb's off the iddevnet site and they were fairly alien to me, especially the setup for the floating joints and why they chose to go with a reverse-foot.

-- Swamp and N_G, yeah I agree about the height map. some blood is definately in order, too crazy.gif
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I think you need to add some more texture to his skin, I mean, making a bump map for him, or do an overlay onto the normal map. Because it's looking too smooth. Look up some elephant skin texture samples, that should look pretty sweet on him.
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darksun polycounter lvl 18
    Have to agree with Jimmies. This IS the best high poly shambler.. looks sick Zerg. Any plans to make him with fur?