Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jumbojet in trouble

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
ewooz polycounter lvl 18
I worked about a month on this project for Autosim, a company doing realtime simulation. I did most of the models, based on reference found on the net. I did the Boeing 747, the Rosebauer Panther 8x8 Fire Truck and a low poly version of Singapore Changi Airport. I also modified a 737 model originally done by Orjan Nilsen at the site I'm working at, and the same goes for the small Voyager car that was a civilian one which I had to modify into a Fire Brigade one, originally done by Joakim Simonsson.
The firemen inside the Panther are done by Robert Frick (Edit: I had to remodel the head of the Firman model.)
I did all the models in 3D Studio Max and photoshop for textures.

Here are some shots of the models,
panther_747.jpg
panther2.jpg
panthers.jpg
boeing747_400.jpg
burning747.jpg
747_wire.jpg

The images are from a rendered sequence I did in 3D Studio MAX, a demo of what we aim for in realtime. Therefore I allowed for a bit more polygons than what will be in the realtime simulation that eventually is our aim. Feel free to download the avi's.

747-400 360 degree circle (clip)
Fire Truck Demo (DivX Clip)

Replies

• ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    Nice models and cool composition, great job. Btw your 2D roks.

ultra.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    nice models! very interesting to see something put together like this. what engine were you aiming at?
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Awesome, these look fucking cool! I'm very surprised to see some actual artwork being used for a simulation, pretty badass.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Considering how great the entire thing looks the fire seems out of place (because it's the only thing that doesn't look realistic, at least to me).
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    it could look better as sprites being emitted, of actual flames, but there's only so far you can go with realtime.
    The videos are really cool, but the one thing that bugged me is the foam... wouldn't it look better if you gradually sized up a pool of foam on the floor under the engine?
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    This looks really cool, I would love to try to learn how to fly a jumbo jet using one of those giant simulators. The models are all top notch.
  • ewooz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ewooz polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks all! I'm really glad you liked it. And also thank you Ultra for that feedback on my 2D work, alas these days I only get the chance to do 2D when texturing :-P

Hawken, we're actually using an open source engine: Open Scene Graph. But we will be using real pixel shading and different shaders, I guess the result will be really cool when we get the visual process the way we want it. These renders I did is sort of a concept on how we want it. The system will run smoothly on a couple of PCs. Yeah and the foam bit is also something I need to get done, but I had to cut down on the number of particles to speed up the rendering. It takes ages to render particles in max...

KDR_11k: yep making the fire was a pain. I only used the basic particle system of Max, but the OSG particle system we're using for the realtime simulation has a lot of similarities to the Max particles.

Now I'll do a bit more since I got another week to polish stuff, perhaps I get the chance to fix the issues you guys pointed out, thanks again.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I thought it was pretty cool. I really like the plane animation smile.gif

The one with the firetrucks bugs me on a few details, but not biggies... like Hawken pointed out, the foam would build up... but I understand your reasons wink.gif
    The other things are, the engines continue running on the jet... I would think they would stop the engines.
    Second, I'm not sure why the firetruck would drive around the jet before it would start applying the foam... maybe to check for other fires?
    Last nit-pick, the trucks seem like they try to avoid the lawn but turning down the runway, then making hard lefts to the jet... why not just drive straight to the plane? Especially when the run onto the lawn afterwards anyways wink.gif

Like I said, small, nit-picky items, otherwise very nice smile.gif
  • ewooz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ewooz polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for your feedback Notman. I have added some more build-up of foam in the updated version of the demo. The thing with the engines running; well, I don't know the exact procedures in an emergency like this, but I thought it had a more dramatic effect if I added some engine noise. When it comes to the fact that the fire trucks are driving on the taxi-way instead of cutting through the grass; there are some deep ditches and stuff outside the taxiways at Singapore Airport, you don't see them in the film, but they are there. If they were to crash down in one of these ditches that would be a bummer smirk.gif We aimed this demo at the staff at the exact airport, so I actually made the trucks behave in this manner because of their requests.

I also have added interior scenes like this:
    intwm_1809.jpg
    The new demo, with added scenes is available here:
    Fire Truck Demo (DivX Clip)
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I like the new video... the view from inside is cool smile.gif

I figured you didn't have them come off the runway for reasons like you suggested, but they run off the runway after they go around the corner wink.gif No biggy... I'd say ship it wink.gif
  • ewooz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ewooz polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers Notman. I'm not allowed to work any more on this officially. Since the budget already has been busted shocked.gif But I would like to be able to spend more time on the water and fire simulation and other details. Perhaps I'll sneak in some stuff... Still the detail why they're not driving on the grass on one side and on the grass on the other needs to become clearer. So if I get the time and the chance I'll work on that bit...
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Turn up the 'threshold' on the fire, hmm I guess that depends on what your app calls it. Your stuff looks great.
  • ewooz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ewooz polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Zergxes, I guess you mean the output as it is called in MAX. Yep, I guess I need some better plugins to be able to make convincing flames. Looking at games like Q4 or Battlefield 2 I see really ace work on flames, however I guess they have 1 guy more dedicated to do effects and particles on their team. I'm doing everything myself, being in danger of turning into a generalist with to many pans and kettles, hmmm messy smile.gif

Thanks Zergxes, your stuff looks good too, I like you latest car in the "What're you working on"-tread.