Home General Discussion

need sound help:(

stownr
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
stownr polycounter lvl 17
hello all,i was wonderin if there was a way to change the sounds in q3 models? im not a model maker(of course)but i wanted to see if it was possible to swap sound files.ie.take the taunt/death sounds from one model and put them in another model? any help would be appreciated:)

Replies

• adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yes there is.
    Use Winzip/WinRAR/similar ZIP program to open Pak0.pk3 (it's just a renamed Zip file) ... then navigate to the sounds folder and make a note of the path and file names.

If you compile a new Zip file preserving paths with the same name .WAV files, and save it as something like Pak33.pk3 in the Baseq3 folder, it will load these new files after the originals, and use them instead (without overwriting the existing sounds).

So make a folder like c:\sounds\players\sarge and put death1.wav or whatever the filename is in that folder, then zip it up and save as a PK3.

Hope that helps ... may be a bit garbled... I'm tired... but hey, it should put you on the right track to use your initiative to figure anything else out.
  • stownr
    Offline / Send Message
    thanx yall:) i tried here first adam,i thought ya'll would know more.i think most of the q3w guys dont really play anymore:(
    and thanx MoP thats kinda what i tried,but i tried replaceing the files instead. ill let ya know how it turns out!
    btw this is a great site!!!
  • stownr
    Offline / Send Message
    i think im still abit confused as to where all this goes,do i zip the c:/sounds then leave it there? or in the base q3?
    also do i create a new zip w/ everything included,or with the new sounds only??
    sorry bout my level of noobness on this,but i really wanna learn how this works.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    the reason you make the c:\sounds\players\sarge dir is so that directory structure is present in the zip file. so you've got the sounds in that dir, you zip it, rename the zip to Pak33.pk3 ( as per mops example- the lower number paks are the original game files so a high number ensures no conflict).

The only files you need to put in that are the ones you want replaced. so you want to replace death1.wav (or whatever), only place that wav in there.

place the pak file in baseq3, and when quake looks through the .pk3s it will see yours with the same dir structure and sound name as the original quake sound, and use that instead.

If the sound isn't replaced after you've followed these steps, either you've not got the dir structure quite right, or the sound name isn't exactly the same as the one you want replaced, or the sound youve made isn't using the same format settings as the original (stereo/mono, sample rate etc)

I think thats right..
  • stownr
    Offline / Send Message
    awww yeeaahhhhh!!! thanks abunch !!!!!! success!!
  • sal_manilla
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    Remember, also, no one will be able to hear the changes unless they install your modified file, too. smile.gif