Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SUPERMAN

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
OK, so my previous posting of this had been in the "So What Are You Working On" thread up until now. I figured it's at a point i'll just go ahead and start a thread for it. I'm working on a Superman model right now and my inspirations are coming from Christopher Reeves, Alex Ross' art, and some of what I like to think of Superman being. I'm currently working on the hair at the moment. The difference between this and the last post I did in the other thread is that I've tweaked the ear proportions and placement as well as the forehead a bit. Hopefully i got it right. Anyways any crits are welcome and appreciated. Hoping that I'll get some crits from those that are more seasoned at this stuff as well. Till then.

tkfrog_wip_01_2006_004t.jpg

Replies

• blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    looks pretty good chris... the nose looks a little small in the front and 3/4 view though.. maybe consider widening it a little. It might be the jawbones juts out too a little far in the front view too and that's whats throwing it off..

nice idealized feature though, I'm looking forward to seeing how you treat the hair!
    -joe
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Not bad at all, I can see the Christopher Reeve Likeness.
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darksun polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool. I'm interested to see how this will turn out!
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    He looks like he is growing horns, maybe you should pull the points on his forehead back a bit.
    Other than that, it's looking good, the face reads as that of superman, great character.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it!

Ears seem about a cm too high up on the head. Do you have any side-refs?

It's always tough, for me at least, to see what's wrong after working on something for awhile. But it's looking really great.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Those lines around the mouth and brow are great! The ears seem a bit far back on the side view there.

Nice work.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    The ear is a little too far back and you may be slighting the fore & aft dimensions of the cranium as well. These might help.

page21.jpg
    page27.jpg

But other than that, the likeness looks a bit like Christopher Reeve.

Scott

Scott
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick update. I tweaked a few things that were a lil off in placement and proportions. Namely the ear placement and skull/forehead shapes. A few other minor tweaks were done as well but not really worth listing. I think this is a better model now for it. Anyways here's a small update. I haven't had the chance to touch this model again till this evening because I have been sick with a severe case of bronchitis. :/ Not exactly a good thing. I look forward to doing more this weekend though if I can. The hair is coming along but not yet where I want to show it. That'll be the next update. Let me know what you think.

tkfrog_wip_01_2006_005t.jpg
    Easier to see the changes here;
    tkfrog_compare_wip.gif
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darksun polycounter lvl 18
    I like the changes.. the sides of his skull may stick out a smidge too much, and i'm not ENTIRELY sold on the nose profile (Although it IS Reeves'). Top notch!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great style! Love the clean-cut look. Where's the neck?
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not really a "real" update but I figured I should share this as well since I posted it over at Glen Southern's Sub Division Modeling board at request. I adjusted the ear placement I believe to be the final time. Last night's sleepy/sick tweaking left me with having them a lil' bit too high on the head still. Should be fine now I believe. I didn't want to post another update until I had the hair shape finalized and neck leading into the torso but this was upon request. Look for a "real" update soon since the weather is going to be crap this weekend and I have the time to work on this.
    tkfrog_wip_01_2006_005bt.jpg
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    keep up the good work, man. i enjoy the synthesis of all the "classic" superman references... he's larger than life as he should be. great stuff.