Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Space Thug

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Hatred polycounter lvl 18
polycount: 3450 triangles
texture: 2x 512x512 + 1x 256x256

finally its finished him smile.gif sth about 6 months ago I tryed myself in CGCHAT competition... I've finally found some time to finish what I'd started.
15gb.jpg
c&c welcome
enjoj!

Replies

• stoofoo
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    neat character overall.

The texture is incredibly noisy, though. I'd be interested to see the actual texture as it looks like MOST of your shading is done by your lighting setup. You do not appear to have painting in much into the diffuse map.
  • Hatred
    Offline / Send Message
    I've painted it duble sieze and after this sharpened so maby because of that it is so noisy

in first render I used standart light setup that was in max (i didnt place any lights)
    screenshot11mo.jpg
    screenshot26pm.jpg
    screenshot31dw.jpg
  • Zatoichi
    Offline / Send Message
    Zatoichi polycounter lvl 18
    Yah, its the sharpening that's making it not feel right. It makes the texture have a psudo embossed or contrast-y feel that looks wrong if overdone.
  • Matabus
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

in first render I used standart light setup that was in max (i didnt place any lights)

[/ QUOTE ]

The soft light tracer-esque shadows seen under and around his feet would suggest otherwise. I would personally like to see a 100% full bright shot of this.
  • Hatred
    Offline / Send Message
    the soft shadow whas from gi wire render, when Ill be back home town ill post viewport view smile.gif if You dont belive me smile.gif
  • Hatred
  • spider2cool
    Offline / Send Message
    spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
    wow! completly love the texturing. good model overall. bravo. I just want to give him a big rusty hug. keep up the good work.
  • Zatoichi
    Offline / Send Message
    Zatoichi polycounter lvl 18
    What filter are you rendering it out with? I find Catmull-Rom to sharpen the edges up nicely for WIP shots. These look quite aliased. Anyway... that's just me being picky. He reminds me of Warhammer meets Unreal Tournament.
  • Cubik
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Guessing Hatred wants a render without AA since it looks to rendered without filtering too (lowend ingame render, whatever). Way too sharp texture, his beard looks like steel wool when the texture is this sharp. Try toning the sharpening down to get rid of the annoying pattern of black and white pixels that's currently dominating the texture.
  • Hatred
    Offline / Send Message
    heh thnx for comments
    Zatoichi: I used Lanczos 1:1 filtering
    I supse my friends conceprt (Krezel & Yoshi) artists were inspired by UT smile.gif

here is link to thread where all concepts are smile.gif if anyone want http://www.cgchat.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21548
  • Matabus
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    With the viewport grab, it is easier to read that you barely painted any of the lighting information into the texture at all. A little bit of shadow love would help this guy out tremendously. It looks like you went in and micro-detailed out all of these tiny tiny tiny details without stepping back and looking at the broader scope of things. A lot of your detail is lost when you squint or step back a foot from the computer screen. Try roughing in larger more pronounceable details before working on the little ones and I guarantee a better look. Also, the unsharp mask or the sharpen filter or whatever you used here is really hurting you more than helping. Less is more.
  • Hatred
    Offline / Send Message
    thnx Matabus I'll remember that, and use your hints in next model!
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hmm, he's good. Few comments though...

I find his overall design to be quite unoriginal and boring. When I first saw this guy I immediately thought of Gorge from UT2K3 with a splash of Warhammer 40k marine.

I see a lot of sharpened detailing in the grittiness of the material used to create his armour, but no depth what-so-ever. There's a little bit of shadow here and there, but what would make his armor "POP" more is some shadows painted in, aswell some looser highlights. This almost looks like a diffuse map that was painted with the intention of being paired with a normal map.

The artificats (the little white dots that show up on the edge of colours transitions when using the sharpen mask too much) are hurting the quality of this texture, rather than adding to it.

He's a thug, he's had rough times, we get it. That's cool. Having 90% of the edges of his armour scratched and white is a overkill in my opinion. I'd much rather see wear and tear showing up in other ways; paint marks from other materials hitting his armor, dents, stains, etc etc. Throwing a black spotted texture overlay then doing some scratched edges isn't enough.

I like the colours you've chosen, I'm a fan of this range of tone. I just believe he could go through some changes here and there to make him better.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: It'd be interesting to see what a character modeller has to say about the actual creation of this guy. Seems as though he'd run in to problems when it came time to animate.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    adams hit the nail on the head with regard to animating him. the upper arm will be severely impeded by the shoulder plates. and the knee looks like its meant to be a solid cap, but the way youve modeled it seems as if it will be flexible. i would advise looking at the space marines from Dawn of War to get a better feel of how armour like this should be modeled.

overlapping elements/objects are key here.