polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
zer0s polycounter lvl 17
Title: Undecided
Engine: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War

Open Positions on Team:

Coder
Effects Artist
Concept Artist (transposing to model sheet is optional)
Level Designers
Web Designer/ Webmaster
Animators
Texture Artists
Modelers

Design notes can be obtained by interested parties by talking directly to me.

The idea is to create the ultimate RTS from the engine of Dawn of War. The art will be completely driven by the whole team. All ideas and concepts will be taken into consideration and implemented into the modification. The plan for the initial release is to include the infantry and light armor units for player use. Creation of new races is planned for the later phases of development. The environments will be designed and inspired heavily by the ideas put forth by all the developers on the team. It is essential that we get everyone's input on the matter so that we can have the most diverse environments.

Development will begin once we have a good and diverse roster of modders; ultimately we are shooting for late this month or early february. Reviews of incoming team members will be handled by showing one's portfolio to the team (you can send me your links to your online portfolio, if u don't have one, get a hold of me and we can work something out).

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The idea is to create the ultimate RTS from the engine of Dawn of War.

Come and join me! I'm going to conquer the world and you can all become my minions! I haven't worked out the details such as what to do yet but I'm sure together we can think something up.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    theme? story? experience? how is this a mod? what are you changing or adding?
  • zer0s
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zer0s polycounter lvl 17
    http://zer0s.liatsis.com/quick_storage/RTS_design_notes_3.rtf

i might as well share this more openly now. its not exactly well refined for the time being, but itll give u a good idea of the direction we are headed.

Now one thing i need to make clear is that this mod is entirely open architecture. so the team as a whole will decide on how the design plays out. Whatever help you are willing to offer is appreciated, even if its just helping us work on the overall game's design.

there is no story as of yet for the mod, but it will be multiplayer focused for the first release so a fully drawn story isnt required as of yet (just a background to describe the setting).
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fix the link.

it uh sounds exactly like dawn of war...whats the point other than graphical replacements?
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    ummm, this is the most half-baked doc i have ever read.

GL

-R
  • zer0s
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zer0s polycounter lvl 17
    the link has been fixed.

and please read the post...... its open architecture.... nothing is set in stone

now, as for the "half-baked" comment my notes had been dubbed, its only the result of removing some of the unique parts (destructable terrain, unique selection tools and strategic views), which were cut out due to lack of suffient resources in hardware as well as difficulty coding granted the amount of source relic had openly released for their sdk. I wasnt happy that i had to cut it out, but it would have put too much on the coders' shoulders to simply leave all that in.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=23

Chris Taylor's Design Document Template, download it, and use it.

Your ideas are half baked, and will never attract a team as they stand. Open architecture means 'you dont know, have no ideas fleshed out and you wont be able to guide anyone'. So basically you want this to be created for you by a team. At least that is the impression you give. Draw, write, pay for concepts if you want this launched. As of now, it's a 15 year olds writing a random story with no design at all.

it's dawn of war, with new graphics, which you barely describe or hint at, at all. get my point? i wish you luck, but its not as easy as you may think. and the lack of resources comment is a joke. the engine is'nt capable of destructable terrain, so fake it. Make buildings that look like terrain peices that take explosion damage from nearby hits.

It's also a very simple RTS, i dont know what hardware limitations you are talking about. Look at the minimum specs. Know your tools, and your engine. How about you try to put some dummy models in there first to get that experience?