Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

another portfolio needs critiques

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
http://members.cox.net/kpgeorge
Hey guys, I need some feedback.
I kept it simple, i'm hoping to get a job based on what I have there, and/or suggestions and advise. Thanks! crazy.gif

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Hooray for a simple layout! You may consider posting materials with your models. Navigation could be improved by taking the full sized images to html pages with Back, Main, Next buttons.

For the content, get more fully completed characters, as in modeled, textured, rigged and posed if you want to be a character artist. For general knowledge sake, at least have a full bodied realistic male and female. As it stands, you don't have any characters that show a command of male/female anatomy or texturing, and this is very important to landing a character artist job. I could see you landing an entry level environment asset job with this if you added a few more completed works to show more of your texturing prowess.
  • Mr Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Ray polycounter lvl 18
    Also if u dont want to make ur images into html pages, id suggest making them open up in new windows. So when the viewer goes back, it doesnt have to reload all the thumbnails again when u add more of ur art.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Cholden and Mr Ray, i'll fix the navigation. The content is very wip right now, but i'll definitely get to busting out some more. Thanks guys smile.gif
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Just wanted to add, what Johny is doing here is a really good idea for someone wanting to become a character artist
    http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=92181
    and as always, b1ll's portfolio = character artist perfection, Daz too wink.gif
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    i'd like to see your texture maps. I would like to see how well you laid out UVs.
  • Misanthropy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Misanthropy polycounter lvl 17
    interesting work...but some of the textures for the characters might need better textures..
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think the texture on this: http://members.cox.net/kpgeorge/images/amber.jpg does more to hurt you than help, the flat grey render looks better imo and that texture looks far from finished.... also looks to be more like a low poly texture slap on a high poly model?(shading and such....??)

The texture here: http://members.cox.net/kpgeorge/images/bugger.jpg again looks far from finsihed and i think hurts more than helps.

I really dont want to sound harsh here but i dont see this site as it is right now getting you a job anywhere.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    I don't know about getting a job with what you have as some of the models look unfinished. I would go back and add some more detail to the Imp and the little robot. The Bruce head model shows some promise and it would be nice to see the whole character done. I love the Sylia model; even without the textures it’s your best piece. I would suggest making a normal map model out of it and skinning it. All in all you've got skill and it looks like you know your tools but you just need to polish your work up some. Just my 2 cents, good luck Kevin.

Marcus Dublin
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for all of the input, the texture for the girl's head was an experiment heheh, but i'll use a different technique since I agree it doesn't do the high poly justice.
    Eventually everything you see there will be skinned, rigged and polished up, i'll be busting my ass to make sure of it!