Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Normal Mapped Creatures

frostymoose
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
Lookin' for some crits on these 2 monsters I worked on in Modo + Zbrush (w/ zmapper to generate the normal maps.) Neither of them have a texture because I'm terrible at painting them! Maybe I'll give it a go on one of these guys when I feel up to it.
Both are based off designs from the HL mod natural selection.

Skulk ~ 5182 tris
skulk-zmapper.jpg

Gorge ~ 5614 tris
gorge-zmapper.jpg

The seam on the leg is fixed now, but I was too lazy to get new pics grin.gif

Click for Wires

Crit away please smile.gif

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    very cool stuff, but I've gotta ask, do you really expect the first creature to be able to walk on those spikes?

If I could make a suggestion, give him 3 spikes coming out from each limb, then connect them with webbing in between them, and say its a swimming creature.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    i thought it was a sea monster,
    like a sea cow or something.
    no fins tho :>

really cool stuff anyways
    i love the first one
  • Mr Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Ray polycounter lvl 18
    Aesir, they are jus higer representations of the default models of a hl mod called natural selection.
    They are nice and u've kept true to the originals. The gorge however doesnt give the same "lets chase it" feeling as the original tho frown.gif
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the comments!
    aesir: Like mr ray said they're just my redos of the original designs so this isn't going to change

shotgun: yes, some other people have told me it looks like a seamonster. I guess it might have something to do with how I modelled the front legs in that hanging pose.

To clarify how it's supposed to be standing it should look a little bit like this but this is just a really quick grab + rotate job

skulk-l-walk.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I'm not sure why this isn't getting more replies, this is awesome stuff.

Can you post a wireframe or a faceted shot of the model without the normal map? What about shots of the actual high poly?

You had better texture these guys, they look great. Pose them too.

poop.gif
  • Ozymandias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ozymandias polycounter lvl 18
    This is great stuff frostymoose. The details are great, and I especially like the anatomy, I get a really good feel for just how these guys would move. The only crit, which isn't really much of a crit, is that i'm not so sure about the second mouth thing in the gorge. It just seems to me that his jaws would be more powerful with a long row of teeth for grinding and chomping. Other than that keep it up, can't wait to see them textured.