Home Technical Talk

3DMAX & VRML

whiplash
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
whiplash polycounter lvl 17
Hi all,

Im new to the forum and i chanced upon this when searching on 3D creation for games...

I was just wondering if anyone here has had experience in exporting animated block meshes with multi sub materials applied to the mesh that also contain opacity maps using 3DSMAX to VRML97(.wrl) format successfully?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used VRML a long time ago with Max, but just used vertex colors, no maps.

Have you tried posting on Autodesk's offical Max forum?
  • whiplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whiplash polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    I used VRML a long time ago with Max, but just used vertex colors, no maps.

Have you tried posting on Autodesk's offical Max forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope..i might just do that... thanx..
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You asked in email about how I did the vertex colors and animation export, IIRC.

I can't really remember all the tech bits. Some stuff I posted before... We were able to instance characters in that VRML game, to keep the download super small. The fish, bubbles, and seaweed were all instanced.

We used some primitives, since they greatly reduce your file sizes, but they can increase poly counts dramatically, since they use a fixed tesselation. It's a tradeoff.

Vert color worked fine, don't recall any troubles. Animation was done at the lowest framerate possible, again to conserve file size.

I had a coder working with me, who helped get the animations to trigger and playback correctly, among lots of other things.

BTW, you can still find the player, and you might be able to actually play this ancient game.
    Cosmo VRML player is here:
    http://www.karmanaut.com/cosmo/player/
    Game is here:
    http://www.ryerson.ca/dmp/courses/vrml/media/Chomp/chomp.htm

If not, you might be able to grab the VRML files and examine them directly.

edit... got it to actually run. After instaling the player, ran it in IE, wouldn't run in Firefox. Also all the source files are installed with the exe, into C:\Program Files\CosmoSoftware\CosmoPlayer\Examples\Chomp, and you can open the WRL files in any text editor, see how it was done.