Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SciFi Support Beam

Replies

• moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Wooooo cool! I'm going to write up a couple things for tips on texturing this chunky pillar.

Before the write up, ill suggest to you if you're texturing to not be afraid to manipulate the Normal Map beyond what was processed out of Max. The initial render is an excellent base to work with, but in the end you can take the texturing sooooo much further with additional love in the normal, and compliments the work in the Diffuse and Specular. This is true for all normal maps, regardless of engine or application.

Just as with "old tech's" fancy ways of skinning to work with the mesh; this is no different - except for the fact that you now have 3-4 textures to worry about smile.gif I hate thinking about it as "old school" and "new tech," because in the end its the same exact goal: make it look freakin cool.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    Can't wait to see what you add to this moose. This thread keeps getting better by the day.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, its all so horribly, horribly complicated. For once I'm glad I'm working on hand-helds.
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    I hear that Jackablade.
  • Zatoichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zatoichi polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, Moose. Do you texture artists there at work use Zbush, or just the modelers? How is the workflow broken up?

Thanks, and many thanks for this thread!
  • oliver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oliver polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah 10x for the example...I cant wait to put "normal maps" in my map !!!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    whats the bet that the specs on tis decraese tremendously by th time gears of war is released.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I worked on this image combo in about 5 minutes for the relief mapping thread, then somehow lost my post. So, I though I'd post it here. I'll try and put it on the model if I get some time this weekend, but It's most of the way to a finished diffuse and specular map, thanks to Ror's great source images.

rorbeam1.jpg

It's basically a high pass filter applied to the heightmap and lightmap in varying degrees, then the two are combined. Extremely quick and very useful in getting close to final textures.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey that's a cool idea.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    screengrabs from Max, about 2 hours on top of the above texture.

rorbeamshots1.jpg
    rorbeammaps1.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    superlative work thus far doctor. smile.gif
    the metal definately needs love for this project. i totally want to try another round.
  • Bryan Cavett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bryan Cavett polycounter lvl 19
    meh... was bored... only a couple hours on it. Could definately be tightened up!
    animated gif here to show speculars beam rotate

beam.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That looks awesome, Bryan!
    Nice work too, doc_rob... very interesting thread here.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I really like how you went subtle with the specular, its not too in-your-face NEXT GEN!! although the pipey bits could maybe do with a bit more
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    cool stuff guys! heh ill have my skin updated soon, got caught up with some things.

Zat: i will occasionally, if i need to go in to add some major damage / texture to the normal map that is not easilly done in phtoshop (subtle ripples, bubbles, etc). Most of the time though, its all ps.

One of the problems with the ps filter is that it has difficulty creating really deep looking things, but if you want to get around that, you can:

- duplicate your layer 3 times (grayscale layer to make into a normal map)
    - create a layer filled with 127, 127, 255 (normal map blue) and put it at the bottom. this can be bypassed, not really needed.
    - Gauss blur layer 1 at 15 or 20. the idea is to get a "major" impression of the dents.
    - guass blur layer 2 at 5 or so, capturing minor stuff.
    - leave layer 3 as is, or put a unsharp mask on it (unsharp is a decent idea) for the details
    - apply normal map filter to each layer, with varrying depths. layer 1 (heavy blur) gets the deepest number, say 15 or 20. Layer 2= 9, layer 1= 5 (or whatever you need)
    - put layer 3, 2, @ 0% opacity
    - adjust layer 1, or put it at 100%
    - tweak the other two layers, until you get a nice blend of detail, depth, and midground.
    - Merge layers, go!

This technique is good for organics in ps, and will make most all organic textures look like the normal map was modeled.

Bryan: looks hot man, dig the orange. Try taking your orange paint layer, ctl clicking its opacity, filling with white, and making a normal map overlay for added height. it will add a lot. If you do overlay the layer (that you run the filter on), be sure to copy the "clean" normal map's blue channel, pasted it into a new layer, Overlay, merge, and put that blue chan back into the image. otherwise, the overlay blend mode will destroy the darks in the normal. after looking at the anim, you may have that in there already and my eyes just suck.

Doc: HOT! i think the dirt stuffs by the latches could be blacker in the specular, to really make a stark contrast between it, and the dirt / rust. Max is kinda funky about showing speculars though. sweet!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hey moose, thanks for those tips on how to get the most out of the PS filter for normalmaps. Useful stuff indeed!
  • Gizmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gizmo polycounter lvl 17
    Just to confirm my suspicions; this render with the normal map is wrong. My hardware is too old to render normal maps am i right?

normbumpsup.jpg

In the left image, there is an estranged highlight on the edge of this dint. What i think is happening here is that its being rendered as a bump map (like each RGB channel is displayed as the 3 gray scales that they are). Does this sound right to anyone? I'm using mental ray and the shader is set to use tangent space normals.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    nah, looks like oyu just need to flip your green channel home slice. I dont think you would see bump at all if you had old hardware and tried to dispaly a normal map. Go into PS and flip ythe green channel on your normal map and then giveme a high five like you MEAN IT.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    What Joe means is Invert the green channel, not flip it. smile.gif
  • Gizmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gizmo polycounter lvl 17
    normbumpsupYinv.jpg

We have a bonus bumpy lump bump lumpy bonus bump! Jackpot grin.gif

I have a Radeon x850xt on its way that should take care of it. smirk.gif
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    thats so cool. You rock.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    here's what i made for the beam textures. I dunno why but i love the yellow contrasting so much from the green swirly designs, the yellow being so bright and all. You can't really see the spec well from these max renders but there is/should be a lot of interesting color variation in the spec frown.gif
    beam01.jpg
    beam02.jpg
    beam03.jpg
    beam00tex.jpg
  • Gizmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gizmo polycounter lvl 17
    I've read the part about 3/4 mapping many times, but i just can't understand what that means, is there an illustration of this type of mapping please? grin.gif
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "3/4 mapping" is a made-up term for something related to the process of mirroring the UV mapping coordinates. Except here you offset the seam from the middle of the model, so only part of the surface is mirrored. The middle area is not mirrored. The UV seam then occurs off the center line.

Here's an example, courtesy b1ll...
    http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/b1ll/leuge.jpg
    The ear is mirrored, but the face is not.

There are more extreme examples of this, where the seam is closer to the midline, like only the eyes/cheeks but I just can't remember where.
  • Gizmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gizmo polycounter lvl 17
    What is the point of object space normal mapping (apart from it merely existing as an alternative option to sampling tangents)?

Is there any reason one would ever use object space normal mapping? In what situation would you sample with an object space normal map rather than tangent space, and why?
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    tangent space:
    works when animated,
    can be handpainted (well converted from classic bump/height map),
    less memory, can be reused on different surfaces (think map brushes)

object space:
    faster, no problems with all the "what renderer uses what tangent creation method"
    not flexible, not applicable to different object,
    cant mirror uvs -> more memory, unique mapping needed
  • Eric Chadwick
  • PrayingMantis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All the links are broken ?
    My brain is also out. Too much information, that's a totally new world I'm trying to conquer, but that's awesome.
    Thanx for sharing.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Links are broken because the thread is over a year old, welcome to the interweb-u-tron =P I think someone has it archived and saved in PDF format. I forget who tho =/
  • Gizmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gizmo polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    All the links are broken ?
    My brain is also out. Too much information, that's a totally new world I'm trying to conquer, but that's awesome.
    Thanx for sharing.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Here is the valuble PDF which helped me imensly. Thanks again Rorshach!

Pleased for you you found this, and that someone (me) still has some files from it.

GOLD
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    This thread is how I found the polycount forums
    TRUE STORY
  • PrayingMantis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry,
    The thread is old but still valuable, thanks for the link.
    I hope I will not boring you but I can't understand how do you make the 3/4 trix for the map.
    How do you manage your uv to be able to do a things like that 3/4 trick
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    big thanks to you kev. Lots of valuable info in here
  • Eric Chadwick
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Juicy, thanks Eric.