Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

quick next gen scene

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
just a quick random art test that i used to mak a "nextgen" scene. I dont really concider it "next gen" because its still low poly as hell and only using a 512 for most all of it and two 64s and a 128 for the glow crap.

scene.jpg

id post the textures but they are nothing really special.

Replies

• DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthRevanII polycounter lvl 18
    Hasn't this been posted before? I'm pretty sure ive seen it before, or something like it (even if it has been posted before, it neat to look at laugh.gif)

My only crit is that the ball in the center of the beam doesnt really stand out too well. You can definitely see it, but its pretty boring how it is, but thats just my take on it

Pretty neat scene though, what is it suppose to be exactly? or is it some random creation?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    It'd be cool if you posted that it's the art test for http://nlgames.com/Art_Test/#txtr

It looks pretty close to the source. Your colors aren't quite as punchy, and the orb/beam dealie in the middle doesn't seem to the focus.

I don't see what is "next gen" about it at all.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    slum, either do i, but to me nothing i have seen is "next gen" to me. We have had the ability to use way more polys on everything but we never go there because someone once told u games were supposed to be super low poly. To me "next gen" is about forgetting about that rule and making chars 15-20k and the world around them just as highly detailed. MGS4 looks cool to me but only in some ways, the wolrd around him dosent look as good as his body, and his body doesnt look as good as his head, and his head is over powered by his hair.

As for that art test, yeah i didnt see much reason to post that art tes link being as i was only folowing it in some ways.

oh and here are the wires.
    scenewire.jpg

about 1800 tris
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darksun polycounter lvl 18
    i dunno, looks like you followed it in most every way. Just a few minor changes.

Looks neat tho. Could use a lot of work on the meterials, maybe give the metal a bit more character.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    hehe looks cool. I started the same test, but got bored with it and moved on another idea.

I started to model it in high poly, and then do some normal mapping. Maybe for some of the textures, you could do the same. Maybe even make some specular maps for the shine.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I've seen this art test a few times before from other artists and this is the best one yet. Good job.