Home Technical Talk

Photoshop CS2: new layers system explained.

admin
Offline / Send Message
System admin
Since i saw a few posts about people being frustrated (to the point of uninstalling) by the sudden change in layers' behavior, i thought this would interest quite a few people here.

http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tutorials/jennifer/tips-cs2-layers.html

I haven't actually used cs2 yet, but i hear it's nice, and it's a shame if people would force themselves to miss out on all of the new things for such a small issue.

Replies

• moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Its not really an issue of the new layer selection, that stuff is actually pretty cool. Its the overal performance of CS2 that is an issue smile.gif

The reason i do not use CS2 is because of its crappy performance when working with a large number of layers, the visual size of the layer sets compared to the actual thumbnail size chosen (i know its picky... but if you used CS, CS2's way will make you mad), selecting multiple layers, and quickly maneuvering between layers is sluggish, switching between documents is sluggish, etc etc etc... all things that i *do not* have a problem with in CS.

I have occasionally gone back in and "given it another go..." but each time to my same conclusion to use CS, and not bother with CS2.

I will hop between the two, because the mesh deform thing within transform is *badass*

Layer groups are cool, but a collected group does not have its own channels, as the layer graphic / icons would suggest. Ie, organizing layers into a group to become a blue channel is possible, however; using groups to overlay multiple normal map bits, then recombining a blue channel in the overall group is not possible. I can somewhat see this, as it'd futz with the individual layers in the group... but argh.

When working with groups, the only way to access the layers inside it is to open (double click) the group, which brings you to a new window and transparent background. Doesnt work too well if you're using it to add stuff in specific places - with an image outside of the group smile.gif Layer sets, still the way to go... but those may be the cause of my slowdowns.

One thing i did do right off was assign a hotkey to link layers, which is badass. Its just a little sluggish when you just want to unlink one layer now. I like the icons better smile.gif

CS2 is ok, but not as good as CS imo.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Moose: Your talking about smart objects with the double click thing...not groups.

Layer Sets are now called Groups
    But yeah, I feel your pain on the channels thing.
    I however, love CS2 and have no performance issues with it.

Its been a dream to work with so far. I use CS at home, and now I tear my hair out, wishing I had a 2nd license of CS2.
  • Fordy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
    Iv been using CS2 now for 4 days solid at work (I use CS at home) and I dont have any performance issues with it either. Mind you, the PC at work is fairly well specced ie 2GB memory. Infact I like it so much im going to upgrade to CS2 Shortly.

I did start the week hating Adobe Bridge but having had a lot of images to work on, I like it a lot. Ok it can take a while to start up but if you keep it open, it's really fast and very handy.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I still prefer ps 6. i seemed to paint better then.
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    I just started using it and really enjoy being able to multi select layers omg, it took how long for that? Also I have been waiting for the longest time for something like the Warp tool but of course you can't multi select the lattice points or change the number of them. I suppose they can't get it right the first time or there would be no reason to buy vers 10 now would there.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I used to be like ruz, and refused to upgrade to 6. then ubisoft 'made' me use 7 and I eventually changed the hotkey associations in my brain away from 6 and now i cant use 6 at home anymore without being confused. i love layer groups now, and could never do without them.

My buiggest gripe with adobe is changing hotkeys...That's ridiculus! hotkeys are intinctual...you should never change them.

-R
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    You can customize your hotkeys in CS2 anyway, and can import your settings from previous PS versions so your settings stay consistant throughout each version.

Layer groups, and groups within groups rocks my socks. I usually run up to around 30-35 layers on a 512x512 texture and never notice any sort of sluggishness happening. If you're getting some sluggishness from the application and use it quite often, perhaps its time for an upgrade?
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Still with 6. 7 is horrid, and CS2 doesn't seem to like my tablet as transparency doesn't work with it, odd.