Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

x5

Mr Ray
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mr Ray polycounter lvl 18
Aint modeled anything for a while so i thought i'll have a go at some car modeling. its jus over 5k atm and was aiming towards something you would see in gran turismo for the ps2. 1st time modeling a car so not too sure what details to add in or take out, like the edges of the window frame..

th_x55.jpg th_x56.jpg th_x57.jpg th_x58.jpg

Opps, sorry bout that. Links fixed now

Replies

• flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Ray, all your links are coming up a text.
    Looks pretty cool in the thumbs, tho.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    looks great Mr Ray, id like to see a texture on that bad boy
    where did you get the reference blueprints?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good! I'm not too up on the PS2 specs but I would imagine some of that detail would have to come out? What is the polycount?

- I would suggest taking out the verticle grill bars and doing that with an alpha, same with the grill vents on the hood.
    - You might be able to get away with using just a nice texture on the front bumper, and get rid of those polys that make those two cuts in.
    - Even if the polycount is right where it should be, you might want to do make those changes and add more polys to the outter edge of the tires to round them out a bit. If you really have to watch the polys maybe leave the inside fo the tires with the a lower polycount? Compaired to the rest of the car they are really blocky.

I'm not sure how that would change if they where animated, it could smooth out while in game or it might show off the blockiness more? Testing it or seeing the tires on a PS2 GT car would prove one way or the other.
  • Mr Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Ray polycounter lvl 18
    Here you go steady smile.gif
    http://blueprints.onnovanbraam.com/blueprints/cars/
    http://www.smcars.net/

Im not really sure how to uvmap this, do i just uvmap the peices that needs texturing or do i texture the full mode, assign the colours and add refective shaders in max?
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Looking great Mr. Ray!
    I agree with Vig though about the unecessary details, although they're well done, right now it's probably in the 7-8k tri range.

About your question, you would need to uv map the entire body if you want to have a reflection map on it.

edit- I just noticed you also have quite a few n-gons smile.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    As above - the vents use too many polys and the wheels dont use enough.

A cheap trick is to have 2 sets of wheels - high poly for static shots or when the car is stationary or moving slowly, and lower poly when they are rotating fast in game, as you wont notice the edges. To be honest this hack is pretty much obselete these days.

Looks great though!

I don't model cars BTW, but a know a man or 4 who do.