Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

game model

jimiyo
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
jimiyo polycounter lvl 17
i started this long ago but im reviving it now that i have upgraded to maya 6.5 and a better computer. ill post more as i work on it.

this is based on gerald broms blackwing.

about 3700 tris. still working on the textures.

btw... how should i render game models? below is a screenshot. is there a better way?

blackwing3.jpg

Replies

• nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Regular screengrabs are fine when it's in progress and more than one preferably. Wireframes are also handy. Looks really good smile.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    face looks manish to me
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    jimiyo from teh eatpoo!
    hello & welcome

the better the renders the easier it will be for ppl to give you critics,
    if that's what u'r opting for, of course..

mesh looks real solid, good proportions.
    hands seem too small to me,
    there's a lot of UV mirroring going on,
    and the face does look manish and even too small compared to the acrual size of the head,
    but the helmet may be misleading.

keep going! it looks promising.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    The model looks quite promising but the mix of photo-sourced (wings) and painted (rest i think) doesn't go, and makes the wings look awkward
  • jimiyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the quick replies! thanks for the crits too. i need/want em.

i got some questions if anyone can help out...

how do i get good renders for game models? i lose saturation and crispiness when i use the standard maya rendering globals. is there some standard render globals? and light setup?

im using lamberts right for the maps. havent got to specular and others yet. is this ok?

blackwing4.gif
    blackwing5.jpg
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
    overall i like the idea. are you going to use an alpha channel on the wings. its my opinion that you should to give the feathers more definition from eachother without looking like one mass. Here is an example of a model i did this too.

http://img498.imageshack.us/img498/6609/gothpose21fk.jpg

hope that helps
  • jimiyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i design nascar tees at work. but i really want to be doing game textures and making more money... so im going to cajole them into letting me model out a monte carlo, ford fusion, and a dodge charger, cause it would help us with the shirt designs and it would help me beef up my portfolio for another round of 3d game job hunting...

car.jpg

pretty crappy topology. am redoing it, will hopefully look good and smooth as subd.

also work on blackwings wing texture. spider2cool. good suggest. i am using alpha maps on the wings. will model some kind of weapon, floss the textures up, and im going to move on.

shot1.jpg

any recommendations for someone who wants to be a texture artist?

i feel like im getting too old though. ill be 29 next april. i told myself i would be in games by april 05. thats long gone.

bleh.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    You're not too old mate. I'd say about 80% of the people I work with are between 25 and 35. I'm 32 myself.
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
    most people i have met that are actually working for a company are older chaps. I now feel like i am too young being 22.