Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Roman caestus fighter

Goemon
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Goemon polycounter lvl 18
Hi,

This is the first thread I have started here, and I wanted to get some feedback on this character I have been working on. He is a Roman fighter that wears Caestus, which is the leather straps with heavy iron rings on the knuckles. I wanted to show the concept along with the model I have built so far to get some feedback. Please any Comments , critiques or paintovers on the concept or model are welcome.

Thank you caestus.jpgfront.jpgside.jpgback.jpgper.jpg

Replies

• ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    Nice model! I dont know if the arms are a litle short, and in back view the ass is a litle strange. Keep it comming!

ultra.
  • Omar_Nabiev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Omar_Nabiev polycounter lvl 18
    The arms look too thin, especially the biceps area.
  • Goemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for the suggestions!!! Its always great to have a different set of eyes to look at your work. The arms, might be a little short, I will look into that. Yes the rear it does seem strange now that you say that. Thanks Ultra.
    Good observation Omar on the biceps and arms being too thin, I want to fix that. I have been meaning to update, but Christmas preperations have kept me busy for the last few days. Can't wait to get back in and do more work on this one.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My crits are not so much with the model, that looks like you are off to a good start =)

My suggestions are about the concept.
    caestus.gif
    Lighting:
    The lighting seems like it is coming from a flash light the artist is shining on a model. Direct light from the viewer isn't always the best way to light a subject. Normally light from above and slightly off center is a good default light to go with.

It also reads very flat. people are round so when light is cast on someone it shows more like a cylinder gradient:
    cylinder001.jpg

Form:
    Think of skin as if you where to vacume seal a big slab of meat. Or imagine that you took all the skin off of a person and replaced it with a giant vacume seal bag. At some point you just can't get it into all the nooks and crannies. Skin won't follow muscle into and under another muscle unless it is really over developed. Even so someone who fits that discription might have one or two places on thier body where that happens but not ever muscle, joint and tendon. Becareful not to draw muscles and have the skin follow the muscle down to the bone.

Referance:
    Make sure that if you are looking for referance that you get acurate referance. What I mean is if you are looking to make an acurate gadiator don't go looking up seriod freaks in muscle mags. The guys with arms so big they can't put them down wouldn't last 10min in an arena and more than likely didn't really exsist back then. Even though hollywood would have you believe different.
    It looks like for this project you should consult ref that looks like this:
    bodybuilding.jpg

and stay away from ref like this;
    huge_muscles.jpg

Yes after looking at enough male ref you begin to wonder if people start to think your gay. This is why most game art has really hot chicks or dudes in body armor.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Wow. Sorry to post rather off topic, but if the guy on the right actually is real he must have like...NO testicles.

Nice model, btw.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    lol, no the guy on the right isn't real (Look where legs connect to the hips). But it is a damn funny image wink.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also look at his hands/wrists. All the bulky parts are "grainier" than the rest of the image so they where obviously enlarged. Not to mention he is about 7.5 feet tall.

Is that Eddie Murphy on the left?

Ahem, ok back on track...
  • Goemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for some sound advice on the lighting on the concept Vig. That’s a excellent suggestion about the muscle reference as well. I updated the concept image on the original post. Just wanted to show some updates on the model as well. Again any critiques or comments are welcome. Plan on to start working on the uvs next.

perfront.jpgperback.jpg
  • DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthRevanII polycounter lvl 18
    Great looking model, good improvements, only two things i see wrong frown.gif

Everything has a pretty good poly flow except the forearms...Although im sure you ment it to be a pretty flat and straight arm splint/bracers, it doesnt match the rest of the model with the poly flow, maybe add at *least* one more ring in it, or suck some out of the rest of the model (upper arm could also use maybe one more ring)

that also being said, the shoulder/upper chest area seems a bit dense in pollies compared to the rest of the model, i think you could get rid of a couple there

Everything else looks great, i might use this as a good anatomy ref when making my next char :P