Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pimp My Ride - WIP

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
I've been working on this the past two days, plus some Wednesday evening. I wanted to try a high poly vehicle to learn some tools I wouldn't normally use for low poly characters, such as curves (splines) and deformers. Since everyone has done all the super cars, I just picked my own vehicle. I'm taking all my own photos for better reference.

stratus_ref.jpg

It's an 03 Dodge Stratus R/T Coupe. Very similar to the Eclipse, and actually manufactored by Mitsubishi. And here's what I have so far...+3.
stratus05.jpg

The Dodge emblem is actually modeled. I'll have to start baking out detail later. All the more reason I really should pick up XSI version 5 soon.

Thanks for checking it out. I'm going to start the body soon. Advice? Go easy, it's my first time. blush.gif

Replies

• Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    looks like a nice wheel smile.gif. Did you follow that tire tutorial? or is that a displacement? because its very well done.
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Yo dude, it's good that you are trying something quite different. High poly cars is my thing so I'll give you some crits.

The wheel really isnt very accurate, I think your about 80% of the way there. Hope I'm not being too harsh here but just telling it like I see it.

The main things that jump out at me is:
    -The depth of the tread
    -and everything Per mentioned.

The mix of hardedges and bevels is a bit odd and causing you mesh problems. I think the lump in the middle bottom of each spoke could be resolved with an extra couple of segments each (from centre out direction).

You have done really well, theres just a few things that need improving smile.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    good observation from both of you.

I noticed the shading errors, still trying to tackle them. I'll try to smooth the transition between the spokes and rim. They're not connected, and the edges of them don't line up well. I forgot to round out the back of the spokes. And yeah, the outside ends of the spokes didn't round out well.

The treads shouldn't be as deep, and mabye more rounded on the outsides. I should still be able to fix that.

Lee: I traced the pattern of my tires with splines, converted to polygons, extruded them, connected, then duplicated it with proper spacing 57 times (it actually takes 58 of these to go around my tires...i counted laugh.gif). I tried rounding with with a bend deformer, but it didn't work the way I hoped. So I deformed it along a curve I took from the untreaded mesh, to get the right size.

I'll work on the tire some more while I try tracing out the shape of the car body with curves. As it's my first try, I'm more concerned with getting it finished, than making it perfect.

Thanks guys.