Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Props and Textures

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Ooghijmiqtxxa polycounter lvl 17
Hi there Polycounters! I've been lurking here for awhile and decided this might be a good time to show some of my work since I just started doing some texturing for models. What I usually do is world textures for level designers. I didn't want to be a one trick pony, so I decided to try my hand at skinning some models. So please, if any of you have any feedback or crits I'd love to hear it to make my work better.
lantern.jpg
concrete.jpg
ammobox.jpg

intwall.jpg
stone.jpg
hi.jpg

Replies

• JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Those are some really well made textures... somehow they don't look that great on the models though... not sure why.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    the textures on the models look blurry, but the textures themselves are nicely done, if a bit over detailed for my taste
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome! yeah very detailed indeed, nice work. What does your screenname mean and how do you pronounce it? hehe
  • Ooghijmiqtxxa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

JkMakowka: No idea why they don't look as detailed. I just started using 3D Studio Max and really have no idea to get the best results for this kinda of thing.

Marine: I do get a little carried away with the detail. I think I need to tone it down a little bit in some areas of that lantern there.

Steady: Oog-e-mick-taag. It's from the Aqua Teen Hunger Force, it's Klingon for Super Intergalactic Intelligence, or so they say.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Absolutly wonderful textures man! Looks almost like Half-Life 2 quality texture work!

Where they all hand painted?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    cool work man, thats some name you got smile.gif Maybe lighting the models similar to how theyd be in a level might help, as the lack of shadows makes things seem a bit flat. If you're getting problems with blurry textures in renders, you could try turning supersampling on in the material editor
  • Ooghijmiqtxxa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff: It's a mix really. A lot of the detail and dirt are hand painted with custom brushes. I work with a photo ref base and mess with it so it looks purty.

Rooster: I've heard of something called baking the model to better view the shadows on the model itself. I'm pretty new to this whole thing so I'm pretty noobish when it comes to that kind of stuff though. Thanks for the tip on supersampling. wink.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Welcome Oogh. You've definitly got the process down so I am going to comment on the textures individually.

oogh_cement_crit.jpg
    On this texture you've relied heavily on a crack overlay to portray proper cracks. What you've posted looks decent, but unbelievable. In the green area that I've highlighted I simply flipped the selected surface horizontally. What this does is breaks up the continuing cracks that go from slab, to indent, to slab, to indent, to slab again. Breaking the cracks up in such a way will keep it more practical. Also, there's some heavy cracking going on here but very little high or low lighting - were you planning on doing normal maps for these?

oogh_ammobox_crit.jpg
    Good job on this one man, I like the wood you've chosen and it's particular state. To me, it's very realistic. The only thing lacking some more realistic details are the edges of the crate. Rather then darkening them up (green outline), try painting an edge in like I have done (red outline). Normally, when crates are built the flat narrow surface at the end of the planks of wood are showing on one side of the crate.
    EDIT: I've noticed your planks are very straight. Normally wood that is as old and used as this has rough edges. Using a 1 pixel size brush is perfect for what you've done, but adding in some breaks here in there to break up the straightness of the woods edges would help a lot.

oogh_intwall_crit.jpg
    This texture, when offset 256 pixels has a very noticable seem running up it horizontally (red outline). As a texture artist you should be checking for seems as you go along. In Photoshop, go to Filters > Other > Offset then imput some numbers to offset your image vertically or horizontally.

oogh_stone_crit.jpg
    Be careful of repeating items within your texture. If you're going to do something that is 512x512 try and use the space as efficiently as possible. Having it repeat this much within a texture isn't needed. If you can't get away with not using the same bricks within a texture a 256x256 might be better.

Also,
    oogh_stone_crit2.jpg
    Your dark bricks repeat quite noticably when patterned. Although a texture like this wouldn't be repeated in-game as much as this in all directions, it is still good practice to check your work out at about 25% to see how it is repeating. Dispersing the darker bricks more evenly throughout this texture would have gotten you more loose repeating.

Well Oogh, like I said before you definitely have the process down - I'd say some fine tuning is in place and you're all set.

Good work man,
    -Adam
  • Ooghijmiqtxxa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! Thanks Adam!

I shouldn't of uploaded that grey wall picture, it's an old one I was showing team members before I made it seamless. It's fixed in finished product.

The things you said about the brick texture are great. I'll fix those as soon as I can.

I was planning on putting a normal on the concrete barrier. I just need to figure out how to get them to show up in max. Thanks for the slab/crack info. That'll look a lot better now.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Do you have a portfolio? The one listed in your profile is just some squatters page.
  • Ooghijmiqtxxa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, yeah. I'm building it at the moment and I just bought that page. I have tons of textures and other prop textures done, all I need to do is put them on a page. smile.gif
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    that's a really good critic adam
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message