Home Technical Talk

Vig the destoryer?

Here is my dilemma, I made some low poly buildings and I need to destroy them beyond repair but still retail most of the original shape and detail to make them recognizable. I can't do it the easy way with texture work I need to actually cut polys away and leave giant holes in walls but I need to do this quickly and as low poly as I can, because I have many more buildings I need to make and destroy.

My question is can anyone think of a good way to add damage quickly? These are the only two ideas I have.
1) Boolean shapes out of the walls and deform from there.
2) Cut, cut, cut and more cutting.
I'm not looking for a one button miracle "destroy building" but any tips or tricks that could be handy and help me out are MUCH appreciated.

Here are the first two buildings I need to destroy. They are for a Dawn of War mod and the light blue units are there for scale.
building_03.jpg
building_01.jpg

Replies

• CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    hm if shadowing doesnt need correct silhouettes, you could use alpha-masked textures to fake some holes.
    however you would need to put something inside the model. some sort of rubble textured block.

otherwise, well I guess it would be cutting, or boolean + repair ugly boolean leftovers.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like you're working in Max, if so, you might want to look into the "ShapeMerge" compound object. It lets you draw a spline shape and then use that to cut that shape into your geometry.

To keep the Boolean process less painful, make sure to use closed, low poly meshes for both objects, and keep everything as editable poly objects to make it easier to quickly remove unwanted verts that will be left behind.

And here's a script that will remove any verts on an open edge with only two edges connected to it, basically the types of verts you get after using the ShapeMerge or Boolean operations:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>macroScript PMT_cleanVerts
    category:"HaywoodTools"
    (
    obj = selection[1]
    if classof obj == Editable_Poly then (
    openEdgeArr = polyop.getOpenEdges obj
    vertArr = polyop.getVertsUsingEdge obj openEdgeArr
    selVertsArr = for i in vertArr collect (
    if obj.getVertexEdgeCount i == 2 then i
    else continue
    )
    polyop.setVertSelection obj selVertsArr
    obj.remove selLevel:#Vertex
    )
    else messagebox "Selected object needs to be a collapsed Editable Poly object."
    )
    </pre><hr />

Beyond that, a lot of cutting and shift dragging edges to create thickness in the walls you break up.

Have fun. smile.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am working in max, since the mod tools don't really support any other 3D app.

FatAssasin: ShapeMerge huh? Cool I'll have to play with that. Thanks for the script that will save me some time. I kind of wanted to stay away from Booleans because it makes such a mess. But it might be the fastest way.

Per: yeah yeah, I was afraid I already knew the answer, but you guys did give me some tips that will help and really that was what I was after so, win win!
    About modding DoW;
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=73636
    The mod I joined;
    http://joust3d.com/forums/
    It seems like they actually have a shot at finishing and having a really nice product to show for it.
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    Another way of doing it would be to create a PArray, select the building, for the particle type use object fragments, and then change the number of chunks and thickness. That'll blow it up pretty well, but it uses the existing polys, it won't add any new cuts or anything, just breaks apart what you have.

Other than that I'd probably just go with booleans and just clean the up if needed. Little dirty at times but quick and simple.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3 Booleans and 2 hours later... I still have some destruction to deal out before I can call it done.
    building_03a.jpg
    I was suprised at how un-messy the booleans turned out. The last time I played round with them was in Max4 and it wasn't pretty.

I have to keep the counts under 3000 so I might have to resort to CrazyButcher's idea of using alpha-bits.

I tried playing around the PArray, wow that was crazy. I could see it working if the objects where higher poly.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    if you took the whole roof off it would save a hell of alot of polys you could use more more rubble.