Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Get a move on!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
I would just like to share some items I've worked on, or finished recently. Not something I do often, but I should have a more productive role in this community. I'm doing my best to add as much content to my site as possible. I've shared these with many of you in the IRC channel, thanks for your help.

galleon.jpg

http://www.elysiumvisions.com/home/3d/galleon/galleon.html

A ship. Took 4 days I think (can't keep track of time anymore), and it's for a small project I'll be sharing later if I can work all the bugs out. Yes, it's suppose to look more like a toy than the real thing. It's all hand painted using a tablet, and no photo overlays. I'm mainly proud of that as my texturing methods are terrible.

arctica.jpg

http://www.elysiumvisions.com/home/3d/gstone.jpg
http://www.elysiumvisions.com/home/3d/arctica/arctica.html

Those two I started over the summer for a project that didn't go as planned. Half the time I didn't know what I was doing, but I'm happy with the results for now.

female05.jpg

http://www.elysiumvisions.com/home/3d/hunters/phpslideshow.php?directory=male
http://www.elysiumvisions.com/home/3d/hunters/phpslideshow.php?directory=female

The two hunter characters I designed for my first paying job for an indie game developed by a team in Raleigh, NC. The game should be on store shelves early next year....hopefully. confused.gif

That's it for now. I'm trying to get serious about this game design thing, and hoping to start sending out applications for more work in the near future.

Questions, comments, concerns, cash? Ready, go!!!

Replies

• pogonip
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Wow man considering the specs that is out f-ing standing !
  • Showster
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    Great to see your new stuff bud!
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    holy crap... I'm working on a pirate ship also and your hull looks almost identical laugh.gif
    You're way further along that I am though. Finals have kept me away from my work. Mine's sort of for an indie project also.

Nice job.
  • JKMakowka
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Uhhg, the body texture of the hunter looks horrible... It doen't look like a carmouflague texture, but a simple photo of some forest ground slapped onto a model frown.gif

The rest is quite good though, especially the asian girl (but she has one ugly looking big toe wink.gif ).
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    As Lead Artist, I found Will lying on the street begging for money, amongst the sea of talent in the raleigh area, he helped save the game and stopped a really bad hunter player model from being released.

ps. You're gonna die in Soul Calibur 2 tonight laugh.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Nice work, good to finally see some artwork! 8-D

I think the woman in asian garb is the most quality, some nice stuff going on in her outfit.

Like Makowka mentioned, the camo suit is less successful. Some subtle shading or clothes patterns would have helped it read better. Most hunters wish they were that camoflauged!

Keep it up, and post more art!

poop.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Good stuff!
    Do more!
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice work Elysium. Arctica turned out pretty sweet. grin.gif
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Im just going to echo largely what others have said. The boat looks nice, but I think you could achieve that level of detail with a smaller texture size.

The asian girl looks great, particularly her outfit, but there is something about the face that looks off.
    Same with the female hunter. Faces look squished or something.
    And yeah, that camo is horrifying.

All those critiques aside, inspiring work! Keep it up!
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys.

Notman: yarr!

JK and Poop: I agree with you on the camo. I could have done much better, but I was under the impression that time was short and money was "tight". The camo are actual patterns given to me for use in the game. There are folds and details in the cloth, but the patterns are just too active. Under looser guidelines, I think I could have done much better. They look good in the torque engine with the environments. The team agrees it's a large improvement over the previous hunter. They only wanted a male at first, but I went ahead and did a female as well. In any case, it's a foot in the door for me with a shipped title to list.

dfacto: glad you like. hope you don't mind I strayed from the concept a bit with the colors. I only wanted her in a finish state to share since I put a lot of effort into her for you guys. If I could try again, there are many areas I would have done differently. Like her toes.

Scoob: There was a conflict on whether or not the "asian" girl should be oriental or not. I guess she's somewhere in between. The proportions were originally asian, but the texture started as 'not asian', to go with the storyline. Those eyes are definately not asian. I don't even know what to call the hairstyle.

Lee: Crap, I didn't find time to practise. Hope you didn't either. laugh.gif

Thanks again, everyone. Hope to show more soon.
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    cool work man, especially with the specs you mentionned.

great job on the arctica model it has some nice style smile.gif though more color variations may have pushed the skin a bit more.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Good stuff man, haven't seen anything from you in a while. I particularly like the Arctica girl. She's all fresh and clean, just how I like 'em smile.gif I think you could have transitioned hair to head more softly. Her nose is a little narrow, and she doesn't look particularly Asian, but I don't know If she's meant to or not. There's perhaps a few too many hi-lights going on in her eyes, but this is nice stuff.

*edit* just read the whole 'Asian; to be, or not to be?' thang ;-)
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    hes actually not that far off with the camo.
    Its realtree brand
    http://www.military-vehicle.net/Camo14.htm

and of course
    http://www.realtree.com check the pattern guide link
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    hey ely, good looking stuff as usual ... i think artica was exectuted especially well smile.gif

it looks like you showed your godstone + your flats .. are we now able to display those freely ? i wouldnt mind posting mine for crits..
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Well, if you never got payed for them, then any contract you signed was invalid and the work is all yours. So if that's the case, then you can show whatever you want.
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse: I was never paid. So according to contract, this work is mine. Which is better then money for me atm. After a few weeks of quiet time I asked brc what was happening. He basically said the idea is being scrapped while he continues to code, and will approach something similar again later. I couldn't just leave these unfinished. If I were brc, I would focus on a good idea next time, less complex, and not offer payment.

Vailias: close. it's Mossy Oak.
    http://www.mossyoak.com/section_html.asp?id=23&section=camo
    But same idea. Similar camo is used for each specific hunting environments. Grassy patterns for wetlands and such. I didn't feel like I had a enough time to make two characters, each with 7 textures. The team didn't want me slowing them down. I think Lee had to beg them to let me help...after he pulled me off the streets and all. laugh.gif So I just used the camo i was given, and overlayed them all in the same PSD file, with the cloth folds multiplied onto them.
    The original hunter was over 4000 polys, with much less visible detail, no correct proportions, and a poor texture with lots of mirroring seams and generic camo. My goal was simply to improve that quickly.

Thanks guys. I really need to post more here, and get helpful feedback.
  • EarthQuake
    color variation on the girl and some baked in shadows would go a long way here, great to see her finaly textured dude.
  • Zcubed
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    I actually saw this stuff on your site last week before you posted it here, awesome work! My favorite pieces are the ship and the god stone. The boat texture looks really sharp; such variation in materials while still maintaining the hand-painted look! The girl is looking great too, though the skin seems quite monotone.

A quick question for you, as you seem to be one of the resident XSI guys. How do you find the UV toolset? I've been doing all my unwrapping in Wings thus far, but I'm trying to pick up the XSI workflow and I wonder how it handles the job.

Thanks, and great work! grin.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    The skin could use more color, thanks.

Z: I think the XSI UV mapping tools are very basic, yet efficient. Generally I start by selecting my mesh object, then from the Modeling toolbar, select Property>TextureMap>UV (or whatever is best). From there I use two viewports, one with perspective, and the other with the texture editor. Make selections of faces from the object, then repeat pressing Planar or Cylindrical Subprojection>Best Fit on the editor toolbar until I get the whole model mapped out properly. Occasionally you have to adjust the texture support yourself in the perspective to get the best fit, and it updates in the editor. Disconnect certain edges on the mesh to unwrap complicated shapes. I've also found the "Walk on the Mesh" tool to be helpful. After I've finished mapping a few areas, I select the object and click freeze to clean things up. In the texture editor I often use the Match, Relax, and Heal tools. Z zooms and pans with mouse buttons, and X,C,and V scale, rotate, and translate...using middle and right mouse buttons for specific axis. And on the mesh I right click for the Symmetrize Polygons tool (triangulate first) to mirror textured faces. It welds edges automatically.

That's about it. poly112.gif
  • Zcubed
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the lengthy response, much appreciated. I've been playing around with the Texture Editor a bit and it seems to be very nice. It's very easy to assign planar/cylindrical maps and then manipulate them with your "X,C,V" sticky keys (Exactly as you said). I'm a little confused as to how you stitch the islands together, but I've taken up enough space in your thread. To the manual! crazy.gif
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    dude add an extra 6 polygons for the flags so they can be animated in the wind properly.

sheesh, some people!
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    ElysiumGX to make the details of the cloth more readable you can lower the opacity of that camo until you can see both. I am doing that with my tanks since the camo paint is too distracting in game plus it makes the damn tanks almost invisible. I always hated hunters camo paint, it quite ugly in my opinion. Looking foward to seeing more. wink.gif

Alex