Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

2 Animations and a Plane texture

Jelmer
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jelmer polycounter lvl 17
Besides the human study I've also been working on these 2 short little animations this week. It's nothing special, but I'd just like to share them. I'm starting to like animation.

#1st Assignment: Pixar Animation
Appearantly the guys over at Pixar are given 1 week for 1 second of animation for their feature film projects. The assignment for us was to re create 1 second of pixar animation in a week. I picked 1 second from Pixar's animated shortfilm: 'Geri's game'.

I've used a very basic character for this, called slippy. We use him pretty much for all our early animation excercises.
The lighting in this scene is mine.

slippy_geri.jpg
Download: http://student.vfs.com/~3d58jelmer/3d58Jelmer_Geri.mov
Sorenson 3 Quicktime, 1.5 MB

#2nd Assignment: Jump Animation
My first animated jump. Assignment was to create a jump animation, again with slippy.
jelmer_slippy_jump.jpg
Download:
http://student.vfs.com/~3d58jelmer/Slippy_jump.mov
Sorenson 3 Quicktime, 810 KB

I'm also working on a high poly texture project. Texturing a plane (color / spec / bump so far) all w.i.p
1st pic = render, 2nd pic = spec map, viewport capture.
jelmer_plane.jpg

Replies

• Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silva_Spoon polycounter lvl 18
    Great plane. The chess animation has an issue where his shoulder/clavicle pops down at the end, looks odd. THe jump animation looks decent, although I think he glides through the are like he's got a cable attached to him, sorta Crouching Tiger Hidden DragonISH. Work on the speed while airborne. Great work though man, keep it up!
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    there is a little problem in the first animation when he puts the chesspiece down. It looks like he puts it infront of the white piece whihc would make it fly towards him rather than away from him.

great job otherwise.. always fun to see what u come up with smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey Jelmer! Great job on these. The plane you've already heard my crit so I'll just keep to the animations.

Animation #1: His shoulder pops down at the end of the animation, right when he places the piece.

When he places the piece, he places it to the right of the white piece, yet it flys forward - doesn't make much sense to me.

Animation #2: His jump starts off great, but with that little of a push he goes very far - looked wrong IMO. Also, he seems to glide across the space in his jump. For about 8 frames his legs are posed the same way. Instead, I believe, that they should be brought up as high as they can at the pinnacle of the jump, then brought down - rather then jump, glide (holding pose), then land.

Make sense?

Jou're doing a great job Jelmer!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    I know you're texturing the plane, not modeling it... but what plane is that supposed to represent? Doesn't look like any one model in particular to me... but maybe I need boning up on my WWII planes. smile.gif
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
    Ze plane is a FW190 Dora. Late war German fighter.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Good stuff! Very good indeed!
    other than what's been stated, I think I see a problem with his landing. You see, his feet sort of rotate at the ankle for about 3 frames when he comes in contact with tho floor. It interupts the speed at which he's going at from the fall, and it looks very out of place. Make the tranision much faster, almost instantaneous.
  • KaosNKorruption
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KaosNKorruption polycounter lvl 18
    What i notice about the jump the most is that both ankles rotate at the same time but one foot lands before the other one does. His right foot starts its rotation to its landing position before it makes contact with the ground.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    the FW190 model is quite stylized though, it is never good to put curved front glass on the cockpit as it distorts the pilot's version.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    thanks Syaped... i knew it most closely resembled the FW 190, but the variant i'm more familiar with isn't quite so elongated forward of the wings. i was wondering if it was just a loosely drawn version of a 190 or if it represented a particular variant, and now i know the answer. smile.gif

nicely done Jelmer. it's great to watch your variety of projects progress.
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jelmer polycounter lvl 17
    Hey thanks guys! Usefull crits once again. Can't apply them to these anymore, but I will certainly keep everything in mind. About the chesspiece going forward. In the original pixar piece they actually let the white piece crash through his finger. I thought placing it slightly between of the white piece and the camera would make it look better. I've finished the plane today as well, which is indeed (forgot to mention) a focke wulf, german war plane. Picturess
    3/4:
    threequarter.jpg
    Side:
    side.jpg
    Beauty render:
    Beauty_render.jpg
  • Etienne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Etienne polycounter lvl 18
    Why is the shadow splitting when the roach lifts his hand and sets the piece on the table??

Is he on Tatoeen or something?

Etienne
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Can't see the animation for some reason.. On the aircraft, the texture is not bad, but the Germans had been kicked out of Africa by the time the FW 190 Dora was operational. Not to bad, but would you like reference on differentCammo schemes?

Scott
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    You need to wear down the front paint on the wings. Any place where the wind would be hitting it at full force. Any place that would cause high friction from the air needs it. it also needs some sut marks in areas after the prop and litle side thingamajig. you might want to check out the textures done by kman/xenobond for operation anubis.