Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Silent Hill-ness

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Darksun polycounter lvl 18
First of all.. if you haven't seen the intro to the Silent Hill movie site... I cast level 3 shame uppon you. YOU GO NOW
This may be the first real game/movie folks!

Second, they have a poster making contest which i'm working on, and wanted som feeback, crits. Here are the 2 things I've got so far:
posterB01.jpgposterB01a.jpg

I like the visual feel of the first one more, but the text(from the site intro) in the second one adds a lot n terms of informing the viewer. It instantly makes a connect between a parent & a child, it connects the child to Silent Hill & declares Silent Hill as a place.

anyways, whaddya think? (gonna work on some darker designs)

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, like the site, it really has the Silent Hill feel to it. I plan on avoiding watching any trailers or reading any info on this movie, I want to go to the theater and be surprised.

edit: just realized this wasn't general but pimping and previews! Looking cool man smile.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Both are damn nice.

What about combining them? Put the text on the top one, over the running girl? or does that look super-shit?
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    They're a bit too symetrical for what you have. Generally speaking, if you're going to do that you'd want to keep it minimalist. The top image however is shaped like an exclamation point. It's heaviets at the top with the large, dark text and gradually get's lighter as it reaches the girl. then there is a break and the dark ground.

To remedy this, you might try nixing the eye slot thing. It would then be a pseudo minimalist movie poster, emphasizing the fog fog and bleakness from the series, something that fans could relate too.

Lastly, the quote in the second one is a nice touch, but centered text can be boring, and as a rule of thumb, movie posters talk to the audience, even if it is a quote from the movie. For example "Don't go downstairs..." That said, the addition of the pet name, 'honey' feels awkward here.

As for the movie itself. If they can remain true to the series and stay unforgivingly derranged, surreal, artsy and Argento-like erotic- then it has a chance. I am getting really tired of mother/child horror movies though. It's not a macho thing, but I really want to see a head strong guy as the lead in a horror movie. Hollywood uses women as they're easier prey to the goings on in the movie. Then again, Silent Hill 2 is one of my personal all time favs, maybe I just want to see that into a movie.
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally, I tend to make my designs minimal. At first I just wanted to have what you were pointing out.. the image with her in the fog, a title, and some details around the edge.

I keep getting the feeling like I should be using the assets more, instead of just 1 photo and some deatails.. I also want to comunicate some things to veiwers who might not know the series.

As for the quote, it's the only one I have from the movie.. It's ok, but not great.

I continue!
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    uhg... that gasp scared me shitless, ive got my speakers up and its 3am here... thanks! >.<

Personaly, I like the second one better. smile.gif Both really look great though. Good work.
  • Zatoichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zatoichi polycounter lvl 18
    Wow. O.K. this MIGHT be the best videogame adaptation yet... I hope. They have the look and the music right so far.
  • Crylar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crylar polycounter lvl 18
    .... um is it just me or this a joke? the site is just black empty. I can hear the gasp and I see a sound mute button, but else but that it's just a very very very dark grey cloud like background just above black. Is there something wrong with my computer, cause it's the same in both firefox and explorer.

Any how, them pics are great.
    In the first one I think it looks like someone is looking out this little window and that scene is kind of what he sees, the secound one it seems it's more seprated and the looking out the window and runging isn't thet connected. Both are very Silent Hill like, The secound one allso has a more empty feeling to it just as the city in the games.
    Love 'em both and can't really give any crits beyond that.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Crylar- Get Flash 8
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Part 1a:
    posterA01c.jpgposterA01b.jpg

(edit) I just realized i need to lose some saturation on that picture of Alessa's eyes.. hmm
    feed backers?
  • Crylar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crylar polycounter lvl 18
    it was awesome
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crits? anyones?
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haven't really refined this one yetposter02.jpg
  • EdgeTurn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EdgeTurn polycounter lvl 18
    Having more of Alessa's hand show through the fog is good, but I'd lose the buildings in the fog behind her; they detract from the effect of the fog also being the plastic shroud that she is pushing through. And I'd lose the text from the intro - it's too long and not really compelling enough. I also prefer the Silent Hill title placed on the bottom of the image than at the top - looks bolder and, again, you don't want to detract from the awesome fog/plasti c sheet motif you have going on (which is quite clever, I must say).

PS - I'd also make the Alessa image a little smaller than it is in the more recent version, since her hand kinds looks like it's detracting from the silhouette of the running woman. Make it a little smaller and raise it up just a tad maybe?
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I like the very first one the best, it has the simple yet disturbing imagery, sorta like SAW.