Home Technical Talk

zbrush question....straight lines?

fritz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
fritz polycounter lvl 18
is there any way to make straight lines in zbrush? something similar to the shift key in Pshop?

Replies

• Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    There is, but I'm afraid I can't remember how to do it.

If you dig through the zscripts that come with the program (can find them in the help menu I think) there is one that shows how to make the sword that shows up in the splash screen when you launch zbrush. In that he uses some tool to make lots of straight lines (and some other nifty tricks).
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    i've looked...haven't found it yet. i found the one where it lets you "draw" on a 3d object. but what i need to know is how to make perfect straight "valleys" or "depressions" in a character models armor....to get that panel effect.

***also, is there some way to get your model into perfect quads if it's not already? or is that something you have to execute in to modeling from the start.

thanks guys!
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    You can make straight lines while in projection master mode. You set the stroke type to "line". I don't think you can do straight lines using the normal sculpting tools outside of projection master.

When you sub-divide an object, it ends up as all quads, although you certainly can have problematic quads that are long and narrow. The best way to get nice, evenly distributed quads is to build the original lo-res model with them to begin with.
  • Nefarious
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nefarious polycounter lvl 17
    You can do it without projection master. Hold control and select the area you want to flatten. Inverse the mask and then go to Tools -> Deformations -> Flatten. You should experiment with some of the other deformations too, you'd be surprised what a powerful and underused technique it is.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for the tips guys. i will definitely try!!!

cheers!!!
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Found the script.

Go to Help>List all Zscript tutorials>2nd page>texturing: projection master and it is the 5th tutorial.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    got it Lupus. thanks man. so many lifesavers on these boards!!!

Cheers!!!