Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A Demon Head

Benjie
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Benjie polycounter lvl 17
Hi my name is Ben, I am currently going to AI, Burnaby. I made this Demon Head model to pratice my head modeling skills, but I would like it if i could get some comments from others. Thanks
it is 1022 tris
06672387305.jpg
74804452346.jpg
36682140796.jpg

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Benjie and welcome. The two major problems with it I have are:
    1) It feels vague and undefined. Are you modeling this from your head, or some kind of visual reference? I would recommend the latter, even if it's just a rough sketch you threw together.
    2) Your topolgy is pretty haphazard, particularly around the side of the head/cheekbone area. You seem to be making a very common mistake, and that is to be modeling a game rez head and insisting that it be 100% quads. In trying to do that, your topology is suffering, and is really very strange, and hence, the aesthetics of the model and how light bounces off of it will be equally so. The way the edge under the cheekbone sort of abruptly stops like that as it goes into a quad around the side of the head is a prime example.
    Hope this helps. I can do a paint later If need be.
  • Misanthropy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Misanthropy polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Ben good to see you here...as Daz points out the edge flow isnt exactly the greatest...Near his chin area it seems, you can redirect some of the edges in that triangle-like quad to the next edge that flows down and makes a sudden 90 degree turn
    but its good to see you posting...keep posting updates..
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    It looks like you might want to try a study first. Try something easily referenced, like a celebrity or model that you can find multiple views of, and then find a few wireframes of existing heads that you like, and try to do an exercise just learning about placement and faithful reproduction.

Right now it looks like you are struggling both with the software, and with the anatomy, and that has the potential to really frustrate. I would eliminate one till you get a handle on the other.

poop.gif
  • los
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    los polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    It looks like you might want to try a study first. Try something easily referenced, like a celebrity or model that you can find multiple views of,
    poop.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

always thought this guy had a demon face.
    1bbb3fbb65.jpg
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    willem defoe is great in The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
  • Benjie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjie polycounter lvl 17
    these are the images that iw as going off of
    42604269340.jpg
    32079408969.jpg

(sry it took me a while to respond been recovering after a bday party, ugh it was chaotic finally turned the the big 19)

but thanks for all the replies i will see what i can do to make changes to it