Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WW2 accessories

Misanthropy
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Misanthropy polycounter lvl 17
Hi, I am newly register to this site, hopefully I am posting the stuff correctly.
These are some of the stuff I have done on my own time. I am currently a student at AI-Vancouver. And if all goes well these things will be accessories for the characters I will create in the next quarter.

The objects include mess kit, canteen, bag and two guns in which they are the mp40 and walther p38.
They are quite high poly for games, it is possible these models be used as normal map models.

accessories_f.th.jpg

mp40_f.th.jpg

waltherp38_f.th.jpg

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Misanthropy, and welcome. I've built many of the models shown here to very high resolution, but showing them in your thread would be rude smile.gif
    For the most part they look pretty good, but there is something bugging me about the MP40 that seems off. It seems like you're missing the front bracket for the strap, and the hexagonal 'nut' at the start of the barrel? But perhaps this is a different model than the one I'm used to seeing? ( enter stage left Scott Ruggels )
    http://endoshoji.com/link-data/Marushin-MG/mp40-f.jpg

Also I think the helmet shape needs work. It's very very hard to get absolutely spot on, but worth it. I also don't recognise that design of canteen either, but it may simply be that it looks odd to me without the bakelite cup on top.

Authenticity and accuracy aside, my main crit is one of modeling technique. It seems to me that you are working in a strange 'mid' resolution. Probably too high for realtime, and yet really not high enough fgr pre-rendered assets or normal map generation models. If that was their intention, I'd think about using a subdivision technique to improve some of your polygonal faceting.
    I have great ref of a lot of this stuff, so let me know If you think it could be of use.
  • Misanthropy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    from the reference picture i had the strap bracket is on the right side of the gun on your reference is on the left...so i guess lefties and righties choice? not sure..
    as for the helmet, it is based off the model of a m38 i believe...there are many variations from m18 to m42 they differ in height and width covering the ears..

but your reference of a mp40 is very nice..and please do post your stuff on here so I can see.

And also you see when I started to model this I wasnt sure what I want to do with it, it seems too high to be in game now and as you pointed too low for normal...I dont know is there use for a 'mid' resolution? I mean I can add more details to this model right now...another contributing factor would be my comptuer is a little sluggish when I hvae too many polys on screen. But I will see what I can do with it. Thanks for your comment.

*edit* I just visited your homepage...I have seen your stuff before.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Gabe! Hey man... glad to see you posting here. You already know what I think of these models so its good to see you looking for imput from others.

As Gabe said already he's a student at AI. I was in speaking to students of one of the classes and he came by to show me his stuff so I recommended that he post here. Glad he is!

Good work man.
  • Phobos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phobos polycounter lvl 18
    I guess they're alright gabe...

You should definately use these are a practice for normal mapping.

cool.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Que scott in 3, 2, 1...
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    There are a few errors. For an effort like this, it's better than most, but the helmet shape is slightly off, and the errors on the MP40, Daz addresed pretty well. The problem I see, is the Canteen. as that is not how they go together.

here is a German Canteen assembled on the Infantryman's belt.
    4DAZ0011.JPG

Close up of the side, showing it's attatchment to the brotbeutel, The leather straps are stitched ont to the wool cover, just under the buckle, and are not in any way attatched to the aluminum flask.
    4DAZ0013.JPG

Here is the late Afrikakoprps style canteen and mess tin. Note the web, instead of leather, and the fact that it can be removed from the bakelite covering, The cup is a bakelite alternative to the aluminum cup on the previous model.
    4DAZ0014.JPG

Also note that there is no square wire bail on the strap, or on the lid of the mess tin.

4DAZ0021.jpg Here is the back of the canteen showing the attatchment hook. the only place the strap is actually connected to the canteen is one leg of the strao is riveted to the top of the cap to the aluminum flask.

If you want further clarification, such as the cups taken off the canteens to show the layout of the cap, and how the neck of the canteen is lean, I can provide them.. I can so the same with the helmet, should yu wish to bring the silhouette, more in line with how they were, I have more than a few helmets , but the steel shell was sized as was the liner, so that has a bearing onthe shape as well.

Hope this helps

Scott
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    no others like the ruggles,
  • eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
    That Ruggels guy.. he's good. damn good.
  • Misanthropy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya Thanks a bunch of Scott, those are helpful tips and pictures you have got there...Definitely I want to see more of these...where do you find it??
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    where do you find it??

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe in his closet.

OK, I happened to buy some server space today, so heres all the ref I have for mp40, ammo, helmet and canteen.

http://daz-art.com/canteen.zip
    http://daz-art.com/helmet.zip
    http://daz-art.com/mp40.zip
    http://daz-art.com/mp40ammo.zip
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    ya Thanks a bunch of Scott, those are helpful tips and pictures you have got there...Definitely I want to see more of these...where do you find it??

[/ QUOTE ]

AUre, what do you need to see? Just ask.

Daz is right, it's all im my closet, and I have but to take it out, put it on the bed and photograph it.

I have equipment for German, Soviet, British, U.S., U.S. Marine, SOme Japanese, and Italian gear and weapons. IF I don't have it. I know foulks who do, or I have it in the book shelf. I'm covered.

Scott
  • Misanthropy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you guys are awesome...

Hey scott would you happen to have some Soviet stuff too..that would be awesome..CAn you get it zipped to me? That be extremely helpful.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't forget www.wwiiimpressions.com and www.aboutww2militaria.com they have a lot of good stuff. I would check there before buging Scott. If you need close ups or better shots then pester Scott =)
  • Misanthropy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vig thank you, i did check out http://www.aboutww2militaria.com/ before thanks again for reminding me...theres Russian stuff there....this site is helpful..thanks everyone
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure I can haul out the Soviet Stuff, Just let me know what, or if you want shots of all of the Infantry stuff. I can do.

Scott