Home Technical Talk

questions about MODs in general

spider2cool
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
I have been getting hit up every now and then about MODs. People want me to make stuff for there MODs. This has only happened lately since I have started getting better....I guess it goes hand in hand....but I am not sure how worth-it it really is. How many mods are actually finished compared to the ones that are started? I did some work for a group for a Command & Conquer game, but I still don't know when they will finish. they have been hit up with so many problems and changed web pages every 3 or 4 months due to hacking. Now I have a guy who wants me to work on a MOD for some police game. I just want some strong opinions on this subject and how I can go about figuring out what is worth spending my time into. Since I am not getting paid, its hard to stay motivated on a project. Some say you get experience, and I can see where that can come into play. I just would rather get paid to use up my time. also I am wondering about maybe getting some schooling in 3Dmodeling. I have learned from tutorials for a while, but I still want the piece of paper saying I can do this. I want the classroom invironment. does anyone know of a good school in San Antonio, TX or close by...or even a good online class for this stuff. I have the monies for the schooling, just need to find a good school.

Replies

• JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=59505&an=0&page=0#59505

if these factors are fulfilled, than there is a slight chance laugh.gif

p.s.: isn't the guildhall in TX? http://guildhall.smu.edu/
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    JKMakowka's link is good.
    Basically, I'd avoid any mod where the game design seems ridiculously detailed and far-reaching, especially if the team is very small, and examples of their work aren't great.

Also, they're called "mods", not "MODs" - mod is an abbreviation of modification, it's not an acronym. MOD is the Ministry of Defence.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    If they mention anything along the lines of "we're the best mod ever, the best team, the best idea". Don't waste your talents. Their goal is attention, and not creation.

If the person in charge of the mod has no talents, does not contribute to the development, is a big fan of the subject, or is a programmer, don't waste your time.

If the team making the mod, also works for the company that created the game you're modding...don't bother.

If they contact you with this long formal essay about how they're "considering" having someone like you on the team to take part in their grand experiment. Delete it. All they have to do is ask for your help like a human being.

If they hand you a highly detailed explaination of the game's design, and then hand you a character concept that is nothing more than a 5 second stick figure...tell them you're terminally ill and can no longer be of assistance.

If the mod is based of a still profitable franchise...run.

If the leader says he'll pay you something, somehow, sometime. Laugh and close the window.

Basically...don't work on a mod unless the leader of the team is making the most progress and finishes what he starts, planning every step of the way, and only asks for assistance in achieving it...or if that person is you. Otherwise you're better off just improving your portfolio.

You don't have to listen to me. But if you do design for a mod, make sure all your stuff is portfolio material when they decided to call it quits.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    or is a programmer, don't waste your time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I pretty much agree with what you said, but could you elaborate this point? I don't really see that as a 'no-go', quite the contrary is actually what I experienced so far (or was that just a typo?).
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I think ElysiumGX means "if the person in charge of the mod... is a poor programmer", then avoid.
    If the person in charge of the mod is a good and accomplished programmer, then I'd say it's more reason to join - good programmers in charge means they know the limitations and constraints they can work with, and means they won't keep coming up with "innovative" and "awesome" ideas that simply wouldn't work in-game.

If the only programmer on the team is a poor programmer, avoid. If there are more than 3 programmers, probably also best to avoid. Otherwise, it's probably good.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    He probably meant "is NOT a programmer" because mods headed by programmers tend to finish much more often and some mods are indeed programmer-only.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.planetquake.com/skindom/features/WHATNOW/index.shtml

Mod groups are 10 a penny, good mod groups are 1 in a million. You will find a resurgence of mod groups every time a new game is released. I’ve mentioned this before, but it’s important to remember: almost all mods fail.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I try to find projects where I can finish the entire game on my own, even if everyone else bails on me smile.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Of course there are exceptions. The complexity of the game for instance. And definately avoid poor programmers attempting to make the next big thing. The thing is, there seems to be a difficulty in communication between programmers with no art experience, and artist with no programming experience. There are programmers who code cool games and provide the art themselves early on. I know a few. More complex projects, like a MMO game, programmers have a lot of work to do. And for that, don't have the time to manage the artists. 5000 lines of code can be written while the artist have no direction for progress to be made. So it's really about communication and understanding. Poor communication can kill a project due to lack of motivation. That's why I say do your research on the kind of person who is leading the project. Why is he/she in charge? And if progress is being made in milestones. Many of us don't have the time to make constant revisions to a single asset while not being paid, just because someone constantly changes their mind on what needs to be done next.
  • flachdrache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flachdrache polycounter lvl 18
    imo - go for it, at least you can learn how to make your artsets showing up and working well - within the art of other designers.

Communication is difficult - a chatroom without all people working on that thing is ... you know smile.gif and i would look more for a solid design doc rather than another "good story".

If the mod takes very (too) long and you are a core member iam pretty sure that youll hate a large part of the work allready done - just because you playtest that thing to much. Thats a good time to f*** things up laugh.gif
    - for my first project of that kind i remade some of the sounds to that time but i was on the go to change weapon models etc. just because it took so long.

hf,fd
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Find a mod, particularly using a game engine you like, have and/or want to mod, that has a a simple, basic gameplay idea with a clear goal in mind. A mod that is already playable and fun, but needs more art to fill it out is a good way to go, especially as an artist. Benefits are learning to work with others (teamwork), a variety of different types of assets you'll get to create, and mods are great for pre-industry experience.

As far as project motivation, I stay motivated by other team members either pimping their work (other artists) to show how far we're coming along, or getting my art working or doing something it's supposed to do in game (programmer). For example, I was recently involved in a few mods, on one I seemed the only one doing anything so I wasn't motivated and pretty much stopped working on it. Where as the other had another artist pumping out tons of great looking stuff which motivated me to make several characters in a a few days. Some mods also move very slow, nothing wrong with doing maybe one character a month for those and finding another mod that moves a little quicker.

A few things to watch out for: mods with huge teams, mods with elaborate web sites, incredibly ambitious mods such as MMOs, and if any of the previous mentioned aren't playable, steer completely clear of them. If you're on a mod team and things are going the way you like just leave.

Some tips on communication: chat rooms (mirc) are nice for a meeting, but beware the giant time wasting device they can become from idling. IM programs are the best for having all your team on. A forum or team editable wiki is perfect because it allows everyone to show current progress as well as discussion topics. A live chat (speaking) program, such as skype, is one of the best because nothing gets a point across like a real voice.
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    In mod groups, work with people you think you'd like if you were working in real life.

Don't work with self aggrandizing attention freaks that constantly feel the need to put other people/groups/etc. down.

Since most if not all mods are done over the web, you have to be working with people capable of compromise.

Most mods aren't going anywhere, look for people that have already FINISHED something.

I'd have to say that a mod is pretty much like an extra job that you won't get paid for, but you might learn a few things and improve your skills. The subject isn't as important as the people you're working with.

Mods should be building off an already playable game, otherwise it's not a mod so much as an engine hack, and it probably won't get finished-that's a full time job.

Fun is also important. You're always going to run into control freaks, mods seem to draw them like moths to a flame.

It's also important to have standards. It's easy to see people getting their friends involved- and their friends may have no skill whatsoever.

You'll also get people that think they can lift a model from here, and a texture from there, and call it theirs, or people that try and stuff a 40,000 poly model where a sprite would do. The sky's the limit, you can run into some talaneted people that will turn into longlasting friends, and you can run into some idiots that you'll forget in a week-if they'd let you...

By and large my modding experience has been fun. It's a kick seeing other people have fun in your art. It's even more of a kick to hand them their ass while you're in your art.

I hope my somewhat disjointed advice gave you some help.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    i've had the wonderful opportunity to work on a mod with some real cool lads. I do think that you need to be able to work with people that you can get along with and be productive more so than their vision or experience. We've held meets where a few guys drove/flew down for a few days to chill over a few brews. It was really a great venture..

At a certain point you need to focus on your portfolio or look for employment and since a mod requires a lot of dedication, you end up leaving or retiring .. But overall if you really have had fun, worked with great people and at least had 1 well recieved build, I'd say you accomplished something..

To be honest, you need to look for mods that look like they can have a stable build out rather than fancy renderes and models and maps. If a build is out then the rest is peaches. But artwork itself isnt going to hold things together. People also have to be serious and involved, have a solid working system with responsibilities and designations.

The mod i worked on got up to v1.4 and has a rather large solid community, got some spotlights in magazines, a friendly thumbs up from valve software, etc ,so i think that means at least something. Something you could put on your resume perhaps
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
    thanx guys and/or gals. alot of veary insitefull info. alot to ponder over. I will try to look at it with some skeptisism, but at the same time have some fun with it like advised.