Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New to the boards, need some critques on my W.I.P

Alka
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Alka polycounter lvl 17
Prison-Mesh
Prison Wireframe

I was wondering what all of you would think about this. It was inspired by a piece by Ryo Takahashi (one of the Maya Masters) that he created for namco. Id provide a link to it when I come back as I am in a hurry to leave right now. It is for a game level that I will be expanding upon. Right now everything in that scene has been uv'd (I wont bother posting the uv's as they are in a jumble, none of them are in any order just uv'd them and moved on to save me from having to uv everything once I was finished). Current scene posted has around 1600 polygons. The planes on the jail cells will have an alpha map on the bars so you can see-through to the cell behind.

Do you see any areas that I could improve upon?

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Right now, yea, it looks like a jail. But thats it. See if you can find a way to make it more interesting. Give a story behind your environement. Add some more interesting props or architecture.

Right now, you would have to do a magnificent job texturing it to make it really impressive.

Im not saying its bad or anything, just that its not horribly interesting.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    To add to what aesir already said, yes, it's a start, and difficult to judge at this point. Also the wireframe image is very small, so its tough to notice any technical flaws, but I don't see anything that stands out wrong. One thing to consider about your reference is that's just one screenshot of an area. Where your reference's true skill comes in to play is that he built a whole level that looks that good. Anyway, keep updating until it looks as good if not better than your reference.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Turn auto key off. You aren't going to want that on when you model. In fact, after you turn auto key off I would delete all your history just to be safe.

Then come here to Mansfield, Ohio home of the prison from Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption. Great reference.
  • Alka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alka polycounter lvl 17
    This post isn't an update on the model rather it's to give you some better wires. Sorry about the smaller one before I was in a rush and decided to throw something up real quick to see how I was progressing before. Here are some better wires.

Wires 1
    Wires 2
    Wires 3
    Wires 4

And now i'm off again for the newmedia event Sprokit. Thanks for your comments so far i'll try to get some more interesting meshes into my scene. This is more of a texture experiment (should have noted that up top) but I will introduce more captivating meshes.

Zergxes: the key will be turned off (didnt notice it was on). It's still on in those pictures as I screen'd them in a hurry before leaving for the event. Thanks for the tip.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    those are some badass boxes man! yay