Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ding! Another site up.

PolyMonkey
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
PolyMonkey polycounter lvl 17
Hey fellow polycounters. I finally after 5 years reworked my portfolio page to a new concept I've had in my mind for awhile. This is my first pass at putting it up, so I'm sure there's stuff broken or miss types. If you have a chance to check it out, let me know what you find and think.

www.3d-jeff.com

FYI Yes, it uses Flash and I made it specifically for desktop resolutions 1280x1024 and higher, but it will still work for lower ones as well. Oh and you might find some unreleased Imperator art on there as well. wink.gif

Replies

• jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Impressive stuff, Jeff. I like the interface, especially the flipbook-style pics that you can page through.

The one crit I would apply here is that it would be nice to see some hint of your work in the first two screens of the Flash interface, esp after you click 'artwork'. It would help to see some suggestion of what the artwork will be, so that you can choose something from the project menu.

Ah, more quality stuff to peruse...

/jzero
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Nice man. Good interface. I like how it stays open so I can pick a new game easily.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    HOLY CRAP!!! Its like i am in the friggin future!!! i feel like an android shooting up DC current into my mechanial rectum via electronic suposatory!! and i like it!!!

cool beans jeff.. hows the little one doing?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet work. I wish I could hire you as my personal art monkey... Alas, I could only pay you in cafeteria food. HOWEVER, I could offer you free room and board in my closet!
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Nice. Thats a lot of good work there, and you have klingons to boot!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    nice stuff jeff smile.gif some badass stuff there.

its cool to see in a quick setting the evolution of DaoC, its come a long way! smile.gif

nice clean site too, i just wish that after you have "entered one of the faces of the cube" you could still use it as a navigation device, i didnt notice the links at the bottom on the screen initially. it would feel more alive and flow well i think. the only problem would be the confusion of an extra bleep or blip after selecting a category to view images.
  • PolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero - Good point and something I'll need to think about more. Was also thinking of having the cube animate in at load time and possibly appear to hover on the page with a subtle animation.

poop,Zergxes, & aesir – Thanks for the comments.

arsh - Lara's doing well man, it's crazy how quick they grow in such little time.

moose - Yeah, I actually had it that way so you could always navigate from the cube, but it didn't work so well when you were in the artwork section moving your cursor from the game to the thumbnails. It just kept popping those sections in and it look odd. Maybe I can rework it somehow.
  • Polygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygon polycounter lvl 17
    You have some beautiful character work!
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the simple the interface! The text on the right and the images on the left under artwork really shows off your outstanding work!
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Excellent work, the comments underneath each image makes everything more personal and interesting.
    The only bug I have right now is that I can't leave the window, in which the bigger images are displayed, open like poop since then I can't access another section. Using IE 6.0.
    The Imperator stuff looks really solid, good work!
  • PolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygon - I assume you're refering to the Imperator project. Thanks, but alot of that credit goes to the character art team for setting that benchmark so high. By far some of the most talented people I've gotten a chance to work with in the industry.

Lee3dee - Thanks, that's exactly what I was shooting for... simple interface.

Cubik - Thanks for feedback. Yeah, that's a little bug with how I have the windows pop up that I'm trying to figure out. If there are any expert javascript/flash users out there let me know. I would love to correct it.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    An extremely impressive and pleasant website to navigate. Great work!

- BoBo
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    awesome Portfolio indeed! Everything is just extremly clear and I love all the little notes you added to the different pics, it definitly add a little something !

To bad Imperator was canceled! I was ready to start if you remember wink.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    any chance of posting more of the characters and faces from Imperator? they are really inspiring
  • PolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo - Thanks. Take good care of Travis for me. wink.gif

Renaud - How could I forget? I remember you... yeah it sucks, but unfortunately sometimes in this industry hard calls have to be made for the better. I just hope people can see the dedication and long hours that want into the art at least.

Hawken - I got binders full of stuff. I was hoping more of the individual artists would post their work, but it hasn't been that way. If nothing new comes out soon I'll throw a couple images up. DocRob, Arshlevon, u there? I know poop has already posted some weapons on a thread here and Kman showed some world art.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Nice site jeff, the navigation and polish on it is top notch. I think what Hawken wants to see is some more work of the great and powerful TK, who, sadly thinks all of his work sucks even though he is the most awesome game artist of all time. It would be good if he would one day make a website so more could worship him.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    see i already have it all planned out Doc. look we wait till after work while he is walking to his car then come from behind and take out his knees with a crowbar.. see then he cant pull any of that bruce lee crap on us or whip out his pocket nunchakus or anything.. then we smash his cell so he cant call his kung fu master brother for help.. drag him back upstairs force him to tell use his password if he wont talk then we start cutting his toes off one by one till he gives us the info then grab everything off his hardrive and snag his portfolio and start scanning all that crap.. see and i also hear he got a new computer.. no telling what kind of crazy art hes got stashed away on that thing.. so then we kidnap his daughter and arrange the return of her only when he hands over any "secret art" he has been working on.. this is also a good chance to maybe force some work out of him i think his daughter is a good bargining chip.. so maybe in exchange for 3 good pieces we havent seen.. once we have all the art i have plenty of extra webspace we just need to register him a domain.. www.tohankim.com.. sounds good to me.. but thats my plan.. tell me what you think.. T.K. really is the awesomest game artist i have seen.. even including all the hotshots that hang around these parts and others.. sad thing is your probably going to have to go to those extreme measures to share any of his goodness with the world...
  • Garthilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Garthilk polycounter lvl 17
    Great stuff, can't wait to see your current work wink.gif
  • PolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam, that was some of the funniest s*!# I've read in awhile. Maybe you should take up story telling. I'm crying.... Thanks for starting my day off right. On another note, TK came and ask me if I could do him his site. lol
  • Timex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timex polycounter lvl 18
    cool url and artwork , polymonkey laugh.gif
  • tohan kim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tohan kim polycounter lvl 17
    very funny sam...
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the mighty mighty TK!! hope your doing great..next time i am in fairfax we can take a smoke break!! even though i quit.. now that you have a name post up your stuff.. or make a website!!
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    OH MY GOT ITS TK!
  • PolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm proud of you TK. You've taken the first step by posting. Now, I expect to see you on here more frequently and get your site done!
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    very funny sam...

[/ QUOTE ]

You will die.

That is all.
  • PolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah, and I forgot to add TK.... taking care of your newborn son when he arrives within the next 2 weeks. =) That can be double the drawings Arshlevon!!

And before I forget, thanks Garthilk and Timex for the kind feedback.