Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Uzumaki Naruto

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
Naruto is easily my favorate thing ever created in 2d. I wanted to give him my own little spin. Gonna make him a bit older, more mature, and I'll most likely edit the face geometry a little while going, as I started from pretty close to the original. Gonna use a 128x256 for the texture.

progress shots:
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/net/pcount/naruto_01.jpg
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/net/pcount/naruto_02.jpg
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/net/pcount/naruto_03.jpg
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/net/pcount/naruto_04.jpg

SDK for those wanting to give it a go
www.poopinmymouth.com/net/pcount/naruto_sdk.zip

naruto.jpg
naruto_poses.jpg

Replies

• vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    OMG !!! poopster is going anime !!!
    FANBOY !

looks cool man, maybe the shoulder would like more subdivisions to deform better though...
  • pairorat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pairorat polycounter lvl 18
    don't tell enix, he'll be pissed >.<
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    OH MY FUCKING GAWD!

I thought I would never see the day poop modeled naruto... [nor ever thought of poop liking anime o_O ]

Looks really nice, wish you would have done a nice medium poly naruto, but low poly is good laugh.gif. Looks like it has good shape, really narutoish, but maybe the face is a bit chubby, when he gets old [in the new manga] his face kinda slims up.

I cannot wait to see you skin this thing...

[haha, speaking of the devil eh?]
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Do you have a linky to some Uzumaki Naruto art? I've never heard of it, so I'm drawing from a blank slatehere smile.gif

Looks good so far though. Can't wait to see the texture.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    lol

no you did not.... just do that!

HA. Texture him, make him look all dark and evil.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Vassago: Google image search for "Naruto" should net enough results.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    looks cool dude.. i agree with enix about the cheeks.. almost always the brow ridge protrudes out further or as far as the cheek.. so there is 2 ways to fix it.. make the brow come out more or push the cheek in.. just see what looks best..
  • Nakur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nakur polycounter lvl 18
    Naruto hasn't been good since I think episode 133. I hear some good stuff is on the way though, once they get back into the manga storyline...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing him finished.
  • CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    dissapointed at poop/10
    Nomral map him nicley so he doesn't look anime.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    OMG, Poop nhas joined the legions of the Narutards!1 How can this be!!!

Scott
  • Sinistar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sinistar polycounter lvl 17
    Poop, that's an interesting take on Naruto. I can't wait to see it finished. smile.gif
    I've only started to watch the series they've been broadcasting on the Cartoon Network. It's pretty cool so far.
    Kinda sorta OT, but does anyone know if they plan on releasing any of the Naruto PS2 games in the US? I've seen the gameplay videos for the Japanese versions and they look like fun.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They are releasing at least the GC versions, I think some of the PS2 ones, too. Be warned, those are the earlier games (because the later ones are too far ahead of the story) that aren't very good. The first few PS2 games and Gekitou Ninja Taisen 1 were really bad, GNT 2 is somewhat decent. Anything after GNT 2 is much better AFAIK, GNT 3 just plain out rocks, next to SSBM probably the best fighter on the Gamecube.
  • Glasswalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glasswalker polycounter lvl 17
    A nice start. I'm interested in seeing how close you stay, or don't stay, to an anime look in the end. Seems really, really low poly, tho. Looking forward to following this one, I love the episodes I've seen.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    *90 naruto fans join the board for an asskissery fest
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    /leaves the board cos his idol just guarenteed his place in hell ;_;
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Hands seem to be weirdly thin but overall look is nice.

BTW
    Glasswalker your sig is so very false, grandmaster artist can do quick sketch and go to sleep and when he wakes up 10 years later the hard working untalented guy still has nothing comparable.
    edit: that kind of stuff they at school and media to make untalented people feel better, it wouldnt be very nice to tell some kid that he never ever can become what he wants to even if he works hes/her ass off. But thats how things work, even if you work very hard you cant become brain surgian if you dont have steady hands or fighter pilot if you cant stand high g-forces, these thing might be possible to learned to some degree but after that its up to your natural talent. Same goes for art, there are hobbyists out there that are way better than average industry veterans and they do their stuff at leasurly pace.

Sorry poop for derailing your thread.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol, Toomas, that's a quote from Naruto. And I happen to believe it. I've seen it happen plenty of times, it's all about motivation and how bad you want something.

I've actually been reading Naruto since before it was picked up as an anime in Japan, about 3-4 years now. A friend in college gave me the first 15 issues on a CD and I read them all straight through. I really have always loved the story line.

The hands are thin, they are only single planes, because I wanted to be able to have individual fingers for a pose I have in mind. I like it better than the thick mitt look anyway.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    let's see how turn this with texture laugh.gif looking good so far.

I prefer Ichigo Kurosaki from Bleach laugh.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer: I have to second you on Ichigo but lately the show seems to be really dragging.
  • Timex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timex polycounter lvl 18
    pooop , fast!!!!, the textures laugh.gif, and .... pleaseee i want play it in Q3.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    naruto_02.jpg

Gonna texture this guy after I put the imp to rest.
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jelmer polycounter lvl 17
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Either I'm a trend setter of letting wierd obsessions be public, or Poop's lost it.

might be both, actually. Though I can't stand the blatently insulting historical inacruacy and the awful storyline, I still think you did a good job. Maszletoff
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The face definitely looks like Naruto now.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    iv not seen that series, but i think the model is very solid smile.gif and go finish that imp so that you can start texturing !!!
    keep at it wink.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Can you make Goku next? poly108.gif
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    haha nice poop!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that my imp is done (check the imp thread) I'm gonna do this little guy.

I lurve pixels

naruto_03.jpg

poop.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG cumpleat POOP! tongue.gif

The highlight to the sides and above his mouth looks like a beard, gives him a certain Hulk Hogan vibe. A smirk would fit him better than the current expression and I think the whiskers weren't supposed to be such deep scars, perhaps tone them down a bit. I can almost see his cheekbones sticking through them!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like I said, I'm kind of giving my own spin to him, so the face marks aren't just going to be black lines. I'm toying with the idea of making them raised red scars instead, but I'll have to see tonight. Also the highlights are still the same color as the hair floodfill. Once the hair has volume, I doubt it will have the same mustache effect, and if it does, I'll change it up. Also I'm pretty sure I'm going to leave him with a neutral expression, but I'll have to see as I go.

poop.gif
  • charger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    charger polycounter lvl 18
    Hey poop naruto is looking good. Be carefull for the pixels though, some parts seem to have more pixels as other parts.

I will make some better renders of my Naruto (and ill finish sasuke and neji their textures).

oh and greets from the dutch people.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Lookin pimp, Poop! Work that low poly bootilicious-ness!
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    hey dude, pretty nice stuff smile.gif i don't see a reason for the pants to bunch up below that theigh-strap... i'd think they'd bunch up on top, and gravity would pull the bottom down, rather than bunch it up..

but i dont know what the real character looks like heh smile.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love holidays, they really let you get your work done. Here we go, got this bugger all wrapped up. I'm pretty happy how he came out.

naruto.jpg
    naruto_poses.jpg

poop.gif
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    sweet jiggy juice pOoP!!
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome what amount of detail you put in that texture size Ben! He looks great for that polycount! Any maybe, someday, I'll even watch this anime laugh.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only crit I have is that the shadows in the hair emphasize the square base for each spike.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    Hey! That turned out neat.

Good pixel usage.

I think the pants bunching below the strap instead of above looks weird, too.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Great work, love the way it turned out!
    I used to be very snobbish about anime (bah its all big eyes and pointy hair innit) until I actually sat down and watched some, now I cant get enough.. I even make a point of not watching dubbed versions because they change the interpretation of whats going on.
    now do neji tongue.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    pixel perfect mate. He's very cute and nicely executed. The poses have a lot of flair too. I like the middle one where he looks like he's having a poop.
  • Squirrely Jones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squirrely Jones polycounter lvl 18
    this looks great, sort of an older naruto. game art is about doing a lot with a little and this really exemplifies that.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    poopsi, i hope u dont mind a few pointers about ur skin,
    tell u the truth i dunno why such low res, ach :~
    well essentially what u should pay some more attention to (especially in such low rez) are you forms, and your colors. since low-poly tex work is alot about faking geomatry which doesnt exist (e.g. folds) you want to push and pop the form out as much as possible with complimenting rendering and color.
    the basic is always the form.. but in this case, where folds r hard to create "logically", try to push the colors all the way so they pop out more. your organge has too much white tint and black shade, you gotta warm up that orange because of extra orange from the bouncing light. the light would only make it more intense (maybe slighty yellow), but deffinitely i wouldn't add white.
    i think you handelled the blue jacket much more successfully.

also, you are almost hopelessly trying to draw details which are smaller than your 1-pixel brush.. that's so hard. the "creases" on that white ribbon are a good example, you can't paint them... i wouldn't even try. if he actally had a ribbon around his pants, the drop shadow and edges and creases may be "1 pixel" wide but in this tex res it just gets loss :?

work on your bigger forms innit

poopcolor.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the paintover shotgun. Those are actually exactly the colors I painted with, but I didn't want the orange to be so intense, so I put a layer adjustment on top and desaturated it all a bit. However I did use a purpley shadow, much yellower core shadows to imply the translucency of the cloth, and brighter orange highlights. I just didn't like how neon the orange came out, so I backed it all off a bit. I might need to rethink how I desaturate it, so that it doesn't kill all the color variation in the shadows and highlights.

Thank you for all the kind words guys. 8-)

edit: also, here is an SDK if anyone wants to give a go
    www.poopinmymouth.com/net/pcount/naruto_sdk.zip

triple ninja edit: here is a layer breakdown of how I arrange my PSD's. Someone on MSN was asking and I figured this would be a nice simple PSD to use as an example.
    http://www.poopinmymouth.com/process/tips/naruto_layers.jpg

poop.gif
  • Glasswalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glasswalker polycounter lvl 17
    Let me jump in to give my jaw-drop, Poop. Looks awesome. You certainly got alot out of 900 faces and such small textures. Back to work for me.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    you are teh sexxor!
    honestly, nice work ben.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After thinking about it some more, I decided to heed your advice shotgun. I went in and really altered the hue of the midtones, and kept the highlights and shadows more saturated. I think it fixed the shade with black and white look (which is something I never *ever* do). Thanks for the advice. I also made the nails a lot closer to the skin tone, as per CEP's advice.

I updated the actual jpegs, but not the thumbails, so you'll have to click to see.

poop.gif
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    well, you've got the colors better. still, for the right effect they have to support a form, and a light pattern that falls on that form. the closer the pants are to the light, the more intense the orange should be. anything further away "loses" light and saturation (unless bounce light).

the lighter, middle-line fold on the lower part of the pants can't be more saturated that the small folds upstairs near the waist area. now that i'm looking at it, the rear lower leg in my paintor is too bright.. but the front fold still holds in relation to the waist area. its a suddle difference, and deffinitly one i could have resolved better myself if i spent some more time on it. usually, light doesn't hit as much below the knee. i think dark horizon's rendering is an ultimate example of capturing those suddle difference in light as it hits (made up) form.

fuck this, go paint on a larger canvas
    what is this bullshit 64x64 textures everybody do shocked.gifcrazy.gif
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    3d model jitsu activate! nice job pewp.