Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1rst post continued

amadikus
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
amadikus polycounter lvl 18
I hope all is going well with everyone. I had the opportunity to finish the character that I was modeling a couple of weeks ago. I have a few questions that I hope someone will be able to answer.

1. I did not weld the cape to the rest of the body. Is this something that I would weld or attach for a game character? Is it also true for any or most ornamentation?

2. On the cape I extruded the edges to get faces on both sides. Doing this, along the side of the cape and the top I cannot weld them together. Is there a way to flip the faces that they can show on both sides without my having to extrude the edges?

3. When it comes to texturing I have problems with seams showing. This is especially true on unclothed characters. Does anyone have any advice?

asneketh_finturns.jpg

asneketh_findetails.jpg

asneketh_finmultiturns%20copy.jpg

Here is an example of an older piece with seam problems

centaurspread.jpg

Thanks Everyone!!!

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    That older model/texture looks kind of cool. I think the new one is a bit too linear in the arrangement of loops. I'd try to see if you can get them to flow a little more dynamically and you'll be able to get more definition at the current triangle count, or you can optimize some of those edges out and keep the current level of detail.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    That's cool.

When it comes to seams, I cheat and use maya's 3d paint tool to clone them out, that's usually pretty quick unless the mesh count and the texture resolution are huge. Otherwise, I go back and forth with photoshop to get the seams out.

That's cool work you have there, very unique style.
  • Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    When it comes to seams, I cheat and use maya's 3d paint tool to clone them out

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn it why doesnt max have that !

texture looks pretty cool.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

max 8 does.
  • amadikus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks you guys for the comments and advice.
    (Poop) I'll work on changing the loops today.
    (Zergxes) I've never used a paint tool to clone seams out. Dou you have any advice. (Killingpeople) I'm using Max 8, I'll see if I can find the paint tool. Thanks again you guys for the great advice and help.

BTW, does anyone know what I can do about getting faces on both sides of the cape? Question #2?

Thanks again
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

max 8 does.

[/ QUOTE ]

More info please. The only way I know of to do this in 8 (or any Max version) is with the Polyboost tools.

About the cape, you can use the Shell modifier on a 2d plane of geometry to give it thickness. Might be overkill for a game engine, but for high poly work it's a great tool.
  • amadikus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks FatAssasin for the advice. I did a couple of experiments and will definitely use the shell modifier. Like FatAssasin I was wondering if Zergxes could provide more info or if someone has other info on resolving seams. Thanks again to everyone.