Home General Discussion

Mod google earth

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
hell yeah.. model your house, or your hood... put that crap in google earth.. if it was open source i could see google earth becoming a virtual world over time...
jack into the googletrix!!!

http://www.5d-software.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/index.htm

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    That's cool. How do you upload a model? Does it go onto the master Google servers?
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    $30!. figures.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, would be cool if it were free. Google should create the same thing so they could start populating their 3d section of google earth. If google does it, I'm sure it would be free.
    It also needs someone to oversee the submissions. I could make my house look like a giant dildo and submit it, and without someone approving the submittals, it would appear that way on google earth wink.gif
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Cool! But how smoothly would it run?
  • Chunkey
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    notman: if that were to happen, there would have to be a poly limit or sommat to keep the filesizes down for easy streaming- also imagine the amount of man hours spent sifting through the legit buildings from the giant dildoes?

I think the ideal set up would be to have pre made models that you can plonk onto the map- at least then it's just positional info the gets sent to the end user.

There would have to be some clever code that recognises when a building is not where it should be, so people don't start slapping them in the wrong places or trying to spell twat using skyscrapers methinks...