Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mercenary type character

motives
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
motives polycounter lvl 18
Wasnt originally gonna pimp this as its a reaaally generic and kinda boring subject but i feel i could use some fresh pair of eyes to look at the mesh and spot areas that can improve.

merc_1.jpg
merc_2.jpg

currently sits at ~3500 polys and its supposed to go into UT2004 later on.

Replies

• Zeldrik
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    Think his arms are too short or the torso too long, also I dont suggest making that your rest pose for the hands,should put them in the natural state so the mesh gets minimal twisting when animated.
    Feet may also be too long.

Now get to texturing he looks good apart from those minor crits.
  • Zergxes
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    The mass of the shoulders is a little low, and out a bit far from the center (in the front view). The side view looks like his shin bends a little more than it should, the ankle is straght up while the knee is bent. His center of gravity is well in front of his feet, so he looks more like he is about to take a step rather than standing at rest. The thighs seem a bit skinny in the sideview, usually they are longer than they are wide. Head looks great, especially from the side. Boots usually have a short dome where the toes are, they don't really taper to a point unless they are the cowboy type.

I don't think he is doomed to be generic, just give him enough little imperfections to give him character. Not like the old eye-scar thing but maybe some moles, maybe one ear is slightly higher than the other or his nose bends a little off center or maybe he has a gross vein in his forhead like I do...

Looks great, keep going!
  • motives
    Offline / Send Message
    tnxs for the comments guys, good points raised! tried to adress most of em and cam up with this:

merc_3.jpg

the changes are pretty subtle but atleast i tihnk it improved.
    Not sure though what u mean about the hands zeldrik, as far as i can tell they are in a pretty natural state? then again im not the best rigger around.. smile.gif

Keep the crits coming, gonna unwrap him tonight i was thinkin (just d/l max8 demo, lets see if that peltmapping is worth the money hehe)
  • Zeldrik
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    People tend to walk and move around with their palms facing inward not foward, when you rig and animate him thats a 90 degree rotation that you can eliminate if you make it your rest pose.
    Looks like he needs a hug smile.gif
  • verybad
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    The thighs look really skinny from the side, you'd figure a mercenary is gonna be in pretty good shape, and while he's currently within the range of possible human dimensions, his legs are REALLY skinny for someone that (presumably) leads an active life. He's got an flat butt, and the butt is a major part of being able to move explosivly (see football players and ice skaters respectivly), that doesn't fit with the upper body, which is more solidly built. Drawing the back an toes a bit bask woudl work wonders for the sence of balance.

Here's a quick paintover I did to show where I think the quickest and easiest improvements could be made.

The knee is a bit thick in my paintover, but the dimensions and balance work better IMO.
    post-44-1132190419.jpg
  • motives
    Offline / Send Message
    agh, great paintover verybad.. Cant believe i missed that smile.gif

Char is Uv'ed (god bless max 8!) and texture is started.. hope to have an update later tonight
  • motives
    Offline / Send Message
    started texturing this guy (yay i might complete something!)

mercenary_texture4.jpg

Note that the facetexture is a placeholder from my reference folder