Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

bull bloke thingy

rob_beddall
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
rob_beddall polycounter lvl 18
hey!!
here is my latest W.I.P model.
it's for the boss- hero contest over on cgchat.
basically just roughing out the masses at the minute.
i'm a bit concerend about the shoulders and whether or not they will deform properly. i've seen quite a few game models done this way but i've never done it myself.
all crits and coms welcome.

26km.gif

Replies

• rob_beddall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey!!

just a small update but i thought i better post somethign before i went to bed.

rounded the arms out more. worked a little on the legs and crotch.

changed the proportions slightly to try and make him look more menacing.

that's about it. never got chance to test rig his shoulders so that will have to wait until tomorrow now.

30bp.gif

cheers!!
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Looks nice, I especially like the shape of the back of his head.

The only crit I can really see is that I think that his legs go from a good size, then they turn really skinny, then get larger again. I think that the skinny part of the legs should be made a little bit larger.

I don't know much about Bull anatomy, but that is what I think. Keep it up.
  • Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    His lats look a bit boxy at the moment and the bicept area looks like it needs attention but besides from that it looks good.
  • rob_beddall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey!!

ok just a small update. not really getting enough time to work on this guy so finishing him for the deadline might be a little bit tricky.

worked on the arms and added the hands. still lots more to do on him.

currently around 1600 poly's ( i think) limit is 3500.

all crits and comments welcome.

cheers!!

42rg.gif
  • Glasswalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glasswalker polycounter lvl 17
    It's looking real nice. One thing that may help you as you get it ready for animation. Look at the elbows. You should thing about bringing the forearm muscles up higher, and the bicep down into the pocket of the elbow. This will help the deformation on the inside of the arm. And this, depending on if you have a twist bone in the forearm or not. If you don't, you might twist the hand and wrist to it's mid-rotation, and then clean any edges. That'll help if the hand ever needs to make a palm up movement.

Looking forward to seeing this one finished. smile.gif
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    I like the head heaps and bunches. *high five!*

I am confused as to the way you resolved the next. I guess maybe it's ok, but it seems to me you would have done well to model it in a more relaxed fasion. right now it looks not dissimilar to bending your neck down so far that you chin touches your chest. Surely most of that could have been handled in animation?

looking forward to seeing those legs get detailed out. Gogogogogo!!!
  • rob_beddall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey!!

well, here i am with another update.

worked on his back and arms to clean them up abit.

worked on the legs to define them more.

i think they still need some work tho.

for 1 thing they look pretty small and thin at the moment.

they also look a bit messy. finding it a bit of a challenge to get the flow right, but hopefully after some sleep and fresh eyes tomorrow it will come to me.

all crits and coms welcome.

cheers!!

56mj.gif

p.s i've been finding that sometimes the pictures don't load. just press refresh on your browser and it should, hopefully appear.

cheers!!
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Rob, I really like the definition you added to the legs! Fixed the weirdish lookin areas I saw. It's lookin great.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I'd like to see the legs beefed up a fair bit to balance out the huge torso. nice work, minotaurs are cool smile.gif

edit: oh yeah, are we going to see a bit of a tail on him?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looking cool man, good topology. I think for the back, you might have a bit too many edges for the definition you have currently. I'd either optimize them, or use them to define some more muscle groups.

Hope to see the texture soon.

poop.gif
  • Mit Gas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mit Gas polycounter lvl 18
    I love it. No crits at all except that he could use a tail and his arse is too round. smile.gif
  • rob_beddall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey!!

thanks for the replies guys.
    now that i look at it his arse is too round. i'll fix that tonight. gonna also play around with his legs to get them looking better.
    i think his back probably does have too many edges. i'll also play around with getting rid of some of them. he will eventually be wearing armour so you probably won't see that much of his back anyway.
    he will also eventually have a tail. though everytime i start modelling i keep forgetting to add it. guess i should be using reference material instead of just going for it.
    hopefully more updates later tonight

cheers!!