Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Polygon Design: Portfolio Display

Polygon
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Polygon polycounter lvl 17
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking around the forums for quite some time, but haven't really got around to posting anything. Lately, I've been developing my main portfolio site, which features a collection of 2D texture and traditional artwork. For those of you who don't know me, I've been texturing since 2000 producing custom work in the Day of Defeat community and working on numerous Half-Life modifications. Since 2002, I've been with the Red Orchestra modification for Unreal Tournament 2004 serving the same role as before in creating weapon/player content for the mod.

More can be found here:

Polygon Design: Portfolio Display

As you can see, my site features a good deal of World War Two motifs as aside from my interest in the digital arts, I collect German and American uniforms, field gear, and firearms. This has carried over into my digital artwork since all of the projects I've contributed my services for involve this reoccurring theme. Thus, I also advise my current mod in historical matters in terms of authenticating content to insure the most faithful portrayal of the period.

The purpose of the site essentially is what one would consider "all purpose" in displaying my 2D texture content, drawings, paintings, etc.

I would appreciate any constructive criticism you have to offer concerning the presentation, thank you for browsing.

Polygon

Replies

• BackSlash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BackSlash polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome George, great community here smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey Polygon.

I like the stuff you've shown on your website. Is it your intent to one day work full-time for a gaming company? And if it is would you prefer to work on war based games? If so, then your portfolio is pretty solid. If not, I suggest diversifying it a bit. Reach outside of the war box and do something from the future... in something that is present time and NOT a weapon. The stuff you have on there is definitely good, my only complaint is that it's all in the same catagory.

Aswell, you may want to consider doing some level textures and show-casing them aswell to broaden your skillset. This goes for war-related themes or otherwise.

I noticed you had written that you had some older work put up there. Something I had learned before 'making it' was that companies don't care to waste their time on whether you've progressed or not. When they're in the middle of a hiring blitz they'd like to see the goods and that's it. I suggest taking out your old work and keep all the rock-solid textures in there; all the stuff that is recent and that you're proud of. Either that, or take out the comment on how it is in there to show progression.

Keep at it, good work.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Nice site, great art. I wish I had that kind of focus and direciton with my work.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome. Looks like high quality work. I think hard surface is clearly your strongest stuff over the character work for now. Some of those weapons are immaculate. Characters aren't bad though. The heads feel a little big on the WW1 trenches guys perhaps giving them an almost childlike feel. Love the gerry with the gasmask though.

The site is nice and clean. I'm not sure about the frame setup for the gallery page. it feels a little awkward. But Im no webdesigner. The work looks good. I fully agree with Brom about there being no need to show progression. Just show your best work.
  • PolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyMonkey polycounter lvl 17
    Welcome Polygon. I dig your site. Very well thoughtout and simple to navigate. It seems like now a days everyone is dropping in a new site. Guess I should finish mine and put it up for some crits =). Hope to see you on the boards more often.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome, looks like a solid war portfolio. I agree with Adam that you'll probably have to diversify a bit if you want to work on something other than FPS.

It seems that the AK link is broke, you left an www. in there. The menu is a litte confusing in that you can only click the text but when you hover the mousepointer over the images you get a link to whatever page you are on + a # at the end.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    good stuff, but be sure to follow the advice here:

http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=73945&an=0&page=0#73945

the fewer clicks between a prospective employer and your art the better. your site is a nice overall site for you, but not the best portfolio website. anyone looking at your website may have been looking at many, many websites that very same day, so you want to be able to deliver the goods as fast as possible. which could be easily remedied by just pointing them directly to the 'gallery' url, i suppose. anyhow, some very clean work, especially on the weapon textures. your love of the subject matter is evident.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Very good solid stuff. How about two sites? One for general info, and one stripped down and targeted at Games art directors?
  • Polygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for the warm welcome. About the character material- I've produced quite alot for Red Orchestra for those who are familiar with the game, but have decided not to post them since they do not reflect upon the latest quality of my organic material (and most being several years old). With any luck, I'll have more examples of what I've been working on in this area once I'm able to post them.

Also, I'll review that link you posted Gauss and see what areas I could improve on my portfolio site. I'm currently being employed by Tripwire Interactive, and I see it as a stepping stone for larger projects in the game industry. My experience outside of the World War Two genre is limited due to my committment to mods such as Red Orchestra which have consumed such a great deal of my time. I try to compensate by picking up any custom material I could work on, especially in cases where modelers post their UV flats to be textured. At the very least, I believe my site does convey a consistent theme as opposed to a plethora of projects with different subject matter. Nevertheless, I'll keep in mind the need for more diversity in the future.

This community in particular will hopefully open up more avenues to me for broader exposure in the industry.
  • Timex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timex polycounter lvl 18
    the humvee is amazing laugh.gif the textures are sweet laugh.gif
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    ah.. been wondering who textured the insurgency weapons. Looks sweet man! You really got a grip on gunmetal smile.gif The shpagin kicks ass
    care to share what kind of render setup you used for those?

The link to the AK is still busted as far as i could see. Also i dont think those rollover images for gallery, about etc. links really work. It looks more as a error than a effect if you just quickly grace over them (as you most often do with links)
  • Polygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I'll fix the AK47 link tonight for certain. The roll over effect for my site is basically when your mouse is hovering over a section and disappears once its fixed on a title.

EDIT: I think I'm also going to correct that feature by adding the HTML in Image Ready so the whole effect works properly.
  • Polygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it was a pretty simple fix, the roll over functions correctly and when you click down on a tab, the pouch will open up as it should. The AK render link has also been fixed.
  • melissa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melissa polycounter lvl 17
    Wow, ya you really are good with the gun metal. I'm inspired to do something rigid and metalic now. Nice work.

What are the texture sizes you use for those weapons?
  • Polygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My older weapon material was often 512x512 pixels or 1024x1024 for games such as Half-Life. Due to the evolution of many game engines, I can now texture models in higher ranges of 2024x2024.