Home Technical Talk

Expert opinions - 3D Max - Skin vs Physique?

Fordy
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Fordy polycounter lvl 18
Hi All

Having recently purchased a book by two of the guys from Panzar Studios (3DS Max 6 Animation With Character Studio 4 And Plug-ins), I came across htis snippet from the start of chapter 5 :

In the latest version of character studio, Physique has more features than Skin, but they are more effective only on models with large polygon numbers (over 50,000 or 70, 000). We are discussing modeling with an average of number of polygons (15,000 to 20,000), where skin is preferable.

The only difference between Skin abd Physique is that the latter has only one skinning method: adjusting the envelopes of the bones to the vertices of the model. However, unlike the envelopes in Skin, this method is perfect.

In turn, unlike Physique, skin allows you to assign weights of the bones influence directly to the vertices for a fine adjustment.

Taking this into account, we suggest that you use Skin, a standard 3DS Max tool. We only use Skin in our work.

Would any of you professionals agree or disagree with this?

Should I use Skin or Physique?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    First off, the bit about not being able to manually assign weighting in Physique is just wrong. It's a pain, but you can do it.

Second, this topic has been pretty well covered in other threads. I'm sure a quick search will bring up a lot of info.

But the short answer is, yes, use Skin.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Skin

Especially now, Skin has evolved and physique hasn't.
  • PolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyMonkey polycounter lvl 17
    Skin. Physique is not getting any love anymore with 3d packages as they evolve. Even the guys and girls over at Autodesk will tell you skin is where it is at.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    I like physique more and use juan's mirror weights script.
  • jec1183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jec1183 polycounter lvl 18
    I am going to have to say skin. I was forced to rig characters with Physique for one job and it was hell. Skin just allows for more control. Its also not as twitchy I have found. Then again this is all my personal opinion. I actually know a few people who prefer physique over skin.
  • Fordy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers all for your comments, skin it is smile.gif
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Wow, you should return that book. Not only are they fricken idiots for even suggesting physique, they were completely wrong about both modifiers in their description. Both modifiers let you type in weights, which until Max 8 was one of the best methods for skinning game characters. It sounds like they're not even going to mention the skin weight table.

. . and Physique's envelopes were far from 'perfect.'

I would get a Max 7 book and the SkinOrDie script, and then just read the new features guide in 8 if you manage to upgrade.
  • DataCain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DataCain polycounter lvl 18
    Skin! Or I'll kill you! :P

actually what ever you preffer.
    but from my exp with the two, skin is sooo much nicer to use.
    Phys in general just likes to stab you in the scrotum.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Thanks ironbearxl, there's few bugs in my script. Skin's mirror tool works similar (select verts hit the mirror button), but is much more enhanced.

I have tools that convert Physique to Skin and Skin to Physique, so I use them both. smile.gif