Home Technical Talk

good model viewing app.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
does anyone know of a good, free model viewing app. Hopefully that can view animations as well. I want to start skinning things at work durring lunch.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    You could use the demo of deep exploration
  • man_o_mule
    Offline / Send Message
    well i'm looking for something that isn't going to expire in 30 days. and i do have a deepfound hatred of deep exploration. i just dont like the app.
  • KMan
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Autodesk has a free viewer for DWF files. However animations aren't yet integrated. :S
  • man_o_mule
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks kman, i'll check that out.....doesn't say if it can display textures on the models though.....
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I'm using the early version of deepexploration. That was called 3Dexploration I think. It's a demo, but you don't need the options expiring after 30 days if you don't use it for rendering.

I've also noticed that the old version is better than the new one for self illumination. If you press the + key for a few seconds it only shows the diffuse, while on the new version theer is still lights artefact.

Hope this helps!
  • man_o_mule
    Offline / Send Message
    so you can still open up deep exlporation after the 30 days? if so then that rocks, and i guess i will get over my hatred of the program and use it.
  • thnom
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Mule: LithUnwrap can view files. Its the free version of 3dUnwrap before it cost $30. Its pretty good to use as a model viewer and has a lot of 3d formats.

http://thnom.tehunlose.com/pcount/

"lithunwrap_setup.zip"
  • EarthQuake
    From what i remember even with the new version you just have to click "Remind me later" every time you open it, and it still works fine.... maybe after 60 days it stoped working, i dont know i just use fbx or obj now so i dont have a use for it.
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    this is a pretty cool new one.. it supports all kinds of stuffs and has a fully customizable interface..

http://lighttek.com/alteros/index.htm

"Alteros3D is a 3D/2D graphic viewer with customizable interface. The program allows viewing any 3D files (3DS, MAX, VRML, TrueSpace, LightWave and many other formats), as well as 2D graphical files (PSD, TIFF, PNG, JPEG, BMP, GIF and many others). Built-in text editor allows viewing and editing TXT and RTF files.

Alteros 3D can also display HTML files and other documents via OLE interface (requires installed Internet Explorer).

Built-in mediaplayer plays DVD-video disks, Video and Audio files.

Program interface can be easily set up with the help of the skins. Besides, Alteros 3D has its own desktop files format- ADESK. Using ADESK files you can create graphical interfaces with the program start up commands, files and directories display. ADESK files can be used as Alteros3D start up interface.

Alteros 3D allows you to open any number of documents simultaneously. Convenient file manager is used in order to switch between the documents designed in Windows Taskbar style."