Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Look for Talent for a UT2k4 Mod

Daedalus256
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Daedalus256 polycounter lvl 17
Hello everyone,

I'm quite new here and everything but I was directed here by a good friend as a place to find some good artists. smile.gif

My friend and I are starting work on a Single-player UT2k4 modification. We're not too clear on the story but it's a futuristic cyberpocalypse type deal with a story we hope to develop further once we get a full team.

My friend and I can both do low-poly modelling and he's working on animation and I've been mapping for the Unreal Engine since I was 13 or 14. I also know a tiny bit of uscript for coding purposes but I'm nowhere near the rank of coder or anything.

I've been doing work for Fraghouse Mod Team (http://fraghouse.beyondunreal.com) for about a year I guess. I did some work on Fraghouse Invasion v3 and v4 and have released a lot of maps through them. I have a ton of models that are just itching for a good mod to put them in and I think this is my chance. I'm asking for any available help in the following areas:

Texture Artist
Modellers
Mapping
Coding

If any of those areas tickle your fancy and you want to hang out with some awesome guys, definitely drop me an email at Daedalus256@gmail.com or IM me at Suladead2048. Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    My friend and I are starting work on a Single-player UT2k4 modification. We're not too clear on the story but it's a futuristic cyberpocalypse type deal with a story we hope to develop further once we get a full team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your manners in this request are good. You're simply asking for help, and that's what will get it. With some mod start ups, the moment they begin advertising and bragging "we're making the best mod ever", I close the window. You're straight forward, and that's good.

But looking at the quote above. Not having a story is bad. It's the beginning of the project, the purpose. It's the direction, and without it, progess is difficult...if not useless. Asking for a full team without direction may cost you. With a well concepted story, you're more likely to get those truely interested in the project, motivated to use their talents to help the mod be a success. The full team will come to you. With the idea of "single player futuristic cyberapocalypse", you'll need something unique to draw a crowd...because that won't do it and doesn't deviate much from the UT2k4 concept as is. I'm sure you'll get a team...but consider how serious you are about the idea. Some proof of development and progress works too. 99% of mods fail. I've been in half a dozen failures, and no longer want to be involved with mods unless it's my own. So consider this as you begin. Good luck with the project. thumbup.gif
  • Daedalus256
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually we do have a story of sorts. We're trying to play it like a System Shock-like AI is infecting the earth. A war between pure humans and cyborgs crafted by the AI has been going on for quite some time. When you start out as your character, the war has been raging for years already and much of humanity is being turned into these cyborgs. You and your squad will enter the battlefield not knowing what to expect. As you approach a building, you tell your squad to enter the building. Something goes wrong, things go black. You wake up and your squad is gone.

That's all I feel like revealing at the moment, but that's what we're trying to go for.

This mod will feature a large amount of original weaponry, some conventional, some not-so-conventional. It will also feature some squad AI that we're working on with my friend from Fraghouse. Nearly every model is being built from the ground up and we have a good amount of models done, but no textures for them.

We're always thinking of ideas for the gameplay and story though so any suggestions there would be helpful too. Thanks for the reply and the suggestions, I'll take what you said into consideration. smile.gif
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    This is going to sound sappy and overly complicated but with your story idea try to think less about what events are going to happen and more about how to get your audience emotionally invested in the story. That is the strength of a good story for a single player campaign. Quake 4, and to a greater extent Half-life 2, work on this level because you feel empathy for the characters. Speaking of which, your plot sounds painfully like a paraphrase of a number of already existing games. I would probably try to find a way to steer clear of soldiers and cyborgs unless you have a completely new gameplay or emotional element that other, well funded games have not already fully exploited. The strength of a mod is that you can expiriment without having to worry about profit margins.

LUCK. I was part of an aborted mod, too. Still makes me sad.
  • Daedalus256
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    we have some original ideas for weaponry and such for the cyborgs. Adaptive weaponry I guess that molds to the user. Also, squadmates with certain weapons/abilities will appear throughout the campaign and if you lose them, it will make a mission that much harder. A few others too that we're working on. I haven't talked to my friend in a couple of days however since he's currently stationed on a shitty little island off the coast of san diego.