Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tribal Frog

Enix
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Enix polycounter lvl 18
Did this guy over the weekend. I have been killing myself trying to get on the internet to post it, no internet at home atm. Well anyway, heres my latest finished piece:

fr0gdone4vx.jpg

frogviews8jp.jpg

I have some more pictures and a beauty render I will post later.

Replies

• Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Aw, him and MoP & Tully's guy could be friends smile.gif
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    haha, real cute, enix. I'd go so far to say one of your best.

The body, and more importantly, the legs deserve that more angular, dynamic detail you put in the arms. Considering you have all those polygons in the head, necklace, fingers and toes, you have to upgrade those thighs, calves and put some anatomic detail in the torso. Also, slightly longer legs with bulkier thighs would help sell the character. Maybe put some of the necklace beads on the staff as well.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would seem to me that your diffuse is too bright to use a spec map properly, you want to use the spec to give you lighting and if you diffuse is already lit really well you're just gonna get over-blown colors. You should also paint a spec color map so it dosent turn to white as well.
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    I remember that model, mop created one of the cutest models on polycount imo. I think my main problem in creating low poly characters is poly density. I will definatly give the legs more attention, and add something to his stick, it is really plain...

And about that beauty render, I brought it here on a disk, but im not sure who made the background I used so I will wait to post the render, but here is the setup:

frogsceneviewportp5yv.jpg
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    I like the style. Very fun model!

Slum:
    Bad form posting images in other peoples threads. Please make that a link.

- BoBo
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe, that's a cute model Enix.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty cool model, Enix... looks good for such low constraints.
    He also looks a bit surprised!

I agree with EQ that the brightness of your texture is making the specular blown out here and there... might wanna take another look at that.

I'd also recommend changing the upper arms to match the rest of the body - it looks weird having reddish and blue tinged upper arms when the rest of the body is green and white... it looks like his upper arms are really bruised or something ... you should find a way to integrate that better, or just ditch it completely.

Only other crit is that wooden staff seems really pointless - what's it for? Couldn't it have some decoration like leaves or something on it, add a bit more colour and interest?

Good stuff on the whole though, keep it up smile.gif

Bobo: Done wink.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey, I like where this is going. My online critisism is that giving him a staff and a necklace doesn't make him "tribal" enough to me.

The body paint you put on him, make it symetrical, as if its something his tribe does as a sign of which tribe he's from. Necklaces, bracelets, and some sort of head gear would support the tribal feel you're going for.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, sorry about that. I haven't been around here too long, didn't notice that was improper.

Enix: I was thinking, this guy may be cool with some type of feathery accessories on his staff. His midsection seems kind of lean for his height. Maybe fatten him up a bit?
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Well, the Blueish upperarm part does work as these references have exactly that: http://www.harunyahya.com/kids/pictures/wallpaper1024/frog.jpg - http://www.tropicalexpeditions.com/images/Red_eye_tree_frog.jpg - http://www.nwf.org/wildlife/images/photo_treefrog3.jpg

it also appears to have the same effect on the inner sides of it's legs.
    I'd try to get somethin a bit more tribal goin on about him like brome suggested.

http://sunsite.tus.ac.jp/multimed/pics/animals/tree-frog.jpg - This mofo's sides natural and looks kool as hell, almost like a venus fly-trap at the side from a distance.
    Just come up with some kool tribal features to actually make this frog seem tribal rather than called such.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I know that they're natural, but on a design like this it looks kinda odd to have the blue patches just on the upper arms and not in evidence anywhere else.

As you can see from those photos, the blue parts also extend to parts of the leg, and sometimes are just on the underside of limbs, rather than wrapping around the whole limb.

So I'd say you should either scrap the blue bits completely, or add more elsewhere to make it look more natural and integrated. Makes sense, eh? smile.gif
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    yeah that's what i was saying tongue.gif
    but in fewer, perhaps unclear words :s
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    RazorBladder: Yea, that last picture you posted was my main ref for the model and skin ^_^.

I have been working on the legs and adding decoration, and yea, I am thinking of ditching the staff thing, or just remake it. I have some more pictures I would like to post, but still no internet access at home, so anything I post I have to bring over on a cd...

I will update soon, I really appreciate the help laugh.gif.

[edit]

MoP: Sorry I could reply to your post earlier, I was posting from a school computer and the period was ending.

I definatly want to keep the blue patches, so I will have to pay closer attention to my ref when I go back to fix it. I added something extra to him that you may or may not think belongs, I will try and post it tommorrow.
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Made some new tatoos, all based on some tribal tatoos I found on google, I really think they could fit if I pull it off right.

tribalfrogtata0fz.jpg
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Yikes, maybe a more natural frog pattern, but I don't think the “I'm a 20-something year old trying to fit in” tattoos suites this character at all.
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    I agree.
    The character is awesome, but these tribals don´t look very good on him.

Maybe you could try something like this:
    frosch_rot.jpg

You can find more pics here if you´re interested.
    http://www.tomyszoo.de/index2.htm?http:/...iftfroesche.htm

Just a suggestion of course. :]
  • TryForce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TryForce polycounter lvl 18
    =0 nice enix

gj on it! i lik it
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    Hello, friend of friends.

I saw this earlier in the week(err. last week) and I very much enjoyed your work. Nice and vibrant colors. Endearing character. I sorta wanna hug and squeeze him you know? Well, apart from that whole sliminess factor, cuddles with froggypants would be sweet.

There are, however, a couple of things I can see improving: First thing I notice when I look at this is the really shallow large and middle scale detail. You have a lot of noodly cool little texture bits and a nice sheen to the character. He looks slimy. He does not, however, have much depth. The area around the eyes is a great example. No wrinkles. No shadows. Surely that bulbous mass would give the head below it a bit of a cast shadow, yes? Work that in. The eyes looks like they are pasted on top, you know? Get in and give that some depth. Same with the area around the lower torso-> leg transiition. No real folds at all. Another thing I am seeing is that the discoloration, while perfectly acceptable, is not quite feeling the same as in the photos posted. If you were to make that discoloration happen to only the outer arm it would look more natural. check out those refs. If you see the green all the way down the inner arm you'd tie it up a bit better. Right now he looks like he cut sleeves off some tshirt and is rocking them solo project. Last thing: Tribal tats? OMGPLZNOGODNO. These are not dissimilar to the worlds least unique "unique detail" on game characters: The SCAR OVER THE EYE. If you really feel the nreed to use them, please, onyl use it on one wrist. Do not smatter them all over. It's just not really fitting. I would suggest trying a more natural frog pattern instead.

Anyway, i really do like this thing regardless of my longwinded post. Top notch, friend.
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for crits, I have been ripping my hair out to get this right, and i dont think im there yet, but im goin somewhere:

sp32081120051626480cp.png

I need to clean it up a bit.
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    cool!

u told me u were bald

sdk sdk