Home General Discussion

Saw 2

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
I'll admit that even with the really hammy performances and cheesy dialogue (sounds like I'm describing an omlete here...) the original Saw is a guilty pleasure of mine. The concept was somewhat refreshing and I liked the ending.

The sequel in my opinion however is utter garbage. Even worse acting than before, stupider cops, etc. The magic was somehow lost with it not taking place largely in a more intimate area like the first. The 'twists' were very predictable and the feeling of dejavu on many of the scenes was all too present.

Two thumbs down.

Anyone else catch it?

Replies

• Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    I never saw the first but I did like the second, it was fucking digusting though and I nearly lost my lunch afew times (I have a medically weak stomach)
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    I saw it yesterday. It really wasn't gross or disgusting though, compared to the first at least. I liked the first one better overall i think, it had humor in it, and with movies like these you cant take them seriously and there has to be a few laughs. i laughed one time though, but it really wasnt a funny thing i just thought it was a "owned" thing.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    I loved the first one. I love riddles/puzzles. wink.gif

I heard last night that 2 was good also. :O
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    *****SPOILERS AHEAD****
    *****SPOILERS AHEAD****
    *****SPOILERS AHEAD****
    *****SPOILERS AHEAD****
    *****SPOILERS AHEAD****
    *****SPOILERS AHEAD****

i liked saw, but saw 2 IMO kinda sucked.
    the characters were downright annoying the crap out of me... especially the drugdealer guy who was simlpy playing the role of a brainless idiot with an attitude problem. the cop (father) looked like he was going to fall asleep while talking all the time and i wish he had. most of the gore was totally unnecessary and seemed forced and in-your-face to give the movie that special 'shock effect' (I'm usually not an anti-gore person but all it did was made the movie look even cheaper).

how did the kid end up in that safe in the end? and how did the safe end up there with the cops...?
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The concept was somewhat refreshing and I liked the ending.

[/ QUOTE ]

Refreshing? I don't see what's so refreshing about "borrowing" concepts from the movie "Seven," and then removing any semblance of a plot or character depth. I was told by almost everyone that it was a good movie with bad acting, but I think the whole thing was horrible. I watched it for the first time a couple weeks ago, and I could barely stand to finish it.

Of course, I'll probably still end up watching the sequel, I'm just not willing to pay for it. I guess when a friend or family member buys or rents it, I'll burrow it laugh.gif.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    You're mixing up two concepts there Keyser. I said it was 'somewhat refreshing' not 'wholly original.' A steak dinner can be a refreshing change if you've had chicken for a week, even though you've tasted steak before. Slasher flicks and their ilk that are released stateside are generally killers stalkers horny teenagers. Saw, while very remenicent of Seven with some of the deathtrap scenarios was not a teen slasher flick.

I liked the fact that a great deal of the movie took place in a grimey bathroom and the killer gets away at the end, that's all.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    "borrowing" concepts from the movie "Seven"? wtf dude? shall we get into the arguement of how nothing is good because it borrows from something? always room for improvement.

SAW was great. But just watching the trailer for the sequel, I probably won't see this.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    **SPOILER**

The safe was there the entire time - the kid was inside the entire time. Everything they watched on the monitors was pre-recorded.

**END SPOILER**

I thought the second one was better than the first one. If I wanted top-notch acting I'd watch a movie geared towards that sort of thing. This one was an all-out fright fest.

Enjoyed it.
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    oh i get it now.
    hmmmm weird though.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I'm with Adam. I thought it was pretty damn fun. While not a scary movie, it's got suspense. I cringed a few times, thinking of how things would feel.

**spoiler**
    The intro was brutal. Having to cut your own eye our to survive? Not sure I could do it either....
    or getting tossed into that pit of crack needles? Ugh...
    **end spoiler**

Was enjoyable. smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Oh, and Hostel looks to be f-cked up aswell.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    I loved the first one because of how simple yet complex the situation was. But then again I loved the movie Cube http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123755 for similar reasons. The second wasn't bad but I really wanted the traps and the solutions to be more elaborate. I wanted to see some of the people actually accomplish a solution to the traps then get killed by one of the other characters.

- BoBo
  • Ozymandias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ozymandias polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with you Bobo, more complexity in the traps, and a few of them succeeding and fighting over the antidote would have been cool. The movie was good, though I still prefer the first one. Cube rocked also.