currently at 3984 faces
feedback!!

saviorfullltr28ri.jpg

Replies

• Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I really enjoyed Gundam Seed & Gundam Destiny laugh.gif Model is great and looks like the series minus the wings. I'd like to see less of a bright washed out red and more of aged red metal. Add some rust on the model. At the moment it look too cartoony, unless thats where you going with the model. Adding some history to the paint, having been in a few battles will make it look much better.
  • fal$eProfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fal$eProfit polycounter lvl 17
    That red is really over saturated. It seems a bit over lit up to where is is hard to see the form of the model.
  • darkshadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkshadow polycounter lvl 18
    update, its almost done now, 6084 faces
    collage2jpg9nz.th.jpg
    saviorfullflight35jl.th.jpg
  • darkshadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is my modeling that boring/bad?? cause i would like SOME c&c, even if it aint much
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    maybe if you could post some wireframe shots so we could comment on your polygon use, and some pictures of what its meant to be, so we can make an accurate comparrison?
  • darkshadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok ok, here is what its supposed to be:
    zgmf-x23s.jpg
    zgmf-x23s-flight.jpg

here are the wires, i finally figured out that the USER viewport gives the correct wires:
    7338 faces

wirefull3bs.th.png
    wiregun7uf.th.png

wirehead9jj.th.png

now for the normal stuff ( model is 100% btw )
    bhjv20al.th.png
    collagepose33ch.th.png
    saviorfullflightltr32xc.th.png

C&C plz
  • darkshadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok now i posted wires AND refs. but still nothing, it really seems that the interest in my models is 0%, so ill refrain from posting future models here
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Bah, don't be like that.

You've gotten replies to your thread, more than some Gundam models I've seen.

Lack of interest is in your subject matter, if anything, not the creator.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    [ QUOTE ]
    Bah, don't be like that.

You've gotten replies to your thread, more than some Gundam models I've seen.

Lack of interest is in your subject matter, if anything, not the creator.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would totally agree with that. when i first started posting here, it was the same kind of thing, posting models which were basically cartoon characters etc. and wondering why no one was commenting, or even criticising.

i have come to realise, that everyone here encourages originality, and that really, they dont need to criticise every single model they see, which is uninspired, because the artist could click in any other thread, and see for themselves a better way of doing things (if better is even the right term, maybe "different" would be better). and so they dont criticise, and they dont comment, because basically they are uninterested in something theyve seen 101 of before.

just a theory...
  • darkshadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "maybe if you could post some wireframe shots so we could comment on your polygon use"

i did this but yet, neither of you even said a word about this, the reason this not being an "original" model is because its mod work, and since i had 0 3d education, i thought this would be the best way to start, modeling something that already exists, this is only the 3rd major model i started on and the first i actually finished ( wing gundam is still not complete ), so even though polycounters encourage originality, how can i start on originality if my current "skill" isnt critted on? and i dont really think that is the case here, since el pigs red frame ( also gundam material ) got loads of comments, why? because it looks DAMN good, not because its ORIGINAL or anything, even if i would draw my own gundam concept, model it, and show it here, polycounters wouldnt be interested, why? because my skill lvl is nowhere near yours, so you get uninterested
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    ok, well all i can really say, is that its quite poly intensive for what it actually is.

meaning, there are a lot of surfaces on there which only have a slight, or no curve at all, yet youve got a lot of edges there to accentuate the subtle curves. removing a lot of those edges will help you clean up your work, and it wont really result in much of a loss of detail either.

im not sure if its how your doing it or not, but when ive modeled mecha before, i found it best to try not to join as much as i can get away with, for example, the lower and upper legs wont be joined, they will just be sepperate elements overlapping each other. i found its cleaner like that.

other than that, i cant help much, im on like, the bottom rung here in terms of skill tongue.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    It's very good. Well done.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    yay your cool.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    What exactly is the purpose of this model?

Seems too dense for low-poly game assets, and too low-poly for a hi-res show piece.
  • Xeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    The real thing is. Don't let it bother you, you're an artist you're here for help and to show your work. People arent always going to post on your first post. But keep doing it, you'll get better and better. Just keep it up and keep posting. Hell, I found it and posted! Good luck! laugh.gif
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I saw this earlier..and purposely didn't post due to your sulky statement. Talk about kicking your own arse.

As for the model, you could lose quite a few polies as has been said. Are you after a totally clean toon-shaded look? Do you intend to mimic the drawn panel lines on the animation concepts? Or are you going to detail out/dirty up those textures? At the moment it's crying out for some dirty love.
  • Mr Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Ray polycounter lvl 18
    your model looks good and accurate but uv used the polys wrong, lets take ur model and think of it as a cube. A 3d cube will have 6 polygons, ur cube has like 30 polygons. Catch my drift.
  • darkshadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sry for the like mega late reply, its cause i have internet difficulties, any @all who like it, ty a lot
    @ others, well i really dont know how to cut it down, without it losing detail or whatever, also i dont know how to texture, some1 else is going to do that, the mod site is www.mechag.com ( recently updated )and this model is going to be skinned in a similar fashion as this: http://www.mechag.com/wallpaper/free.jpg

and mr ray, i catch your drift
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured this thread was about some generic male/female model based on the TV show Survivor which I couldn't think is more stupid. Then i finally click the link and find this nice piece of modeling! A better title might have atracted more people?

But hey if you're going to have the attitude of "screw you guys for not blowing smoke up my bum" then maybe it is best you don't post. You have some great skill and a really great model but I think we could all do without the tude...
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    haha. its savior, not survivor vig.

looks like there's quite a few places where you could cut it down. Just look for any vertex that doesn't add to the sillouette. Need to compromise on those nice loops sometimes.