Home General Discussion

EA games bitchslapped by Peter Jackson

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
steady polycounter lvl 18
Report: Peter Jackson displeased with Lord of the Rings games

It is interesting to see that video games are starting to get the critical attention they deserve by the big wigs of entertainment. I personally have never played any of the LotR games (sorry SouL), I remember seeing reviews of the games being around 7 or 8s, I think Peter Jackson is looking to actually get 10s.

ive never really liked EA games, i dont play racing games or sports games, and the recent bond games have sucked, hopefully the new Sean Connory one will be good.
Need For Speed was a lot of fun back in the day on PS1 though.

I hope the HALO movie doesn't suck. I think it could turn out quite good...

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I kind of think it points to bloated ego's on both sides. Jackson comes off looking like the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons while EA comes off as a mega corp not interested in what one cog has to say.

He is just going to do the same thing, blame Ubisoft for King Kong not selling like he thinks it should. It's what the comic book dork does, he can't help it.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I don't believe this is the first time. I seem to recall Coppola being pissed aswell.

Actually Vig, I think EA would care what one cog has to say and think. At least of course If that particular cog had major Hollywood ties. Anyone who's ever worked for EA knows how utterly gaga they are for film. There are no Art Directors hired unless they have a film background, and you are taken much more seriously at the co. If you have a film background. Career wise, It can be a mightily frustrating experience for those that don't.

I for one, think that EA would actually be extremely upset by having Peter Jackson publically announce that the LOTR games suck, although of course, they're not likely to admit it.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Peter: "let's make the best game ever."
    EA: "agreed. let's make the best selling game ever."
    Peter: ¬_¬
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I tried to like Battle for Middle Earth...I really did. I think I've turned into a game developer snob.

-R
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    You did'nt like it ? Ive never played it but when I watch game play videos it looks really fun ... to bad frown.gif Ive been wanting to try it
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    mwahaha ubi will rock ur world!!
  • Jhotun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jhotun polycounter lvl 18
    Ummm... what about working at EA as a character modeler? I had a job offer from EA Canada, but i did not accepted for personal reasons, but since I read a lot of "bad" things about EA, i´m thinking twice to go or not in a near future.

Cheers
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    It's cool that Jackson is a gamer, and that he seemingly did his homework to hunt down a good developer. However, it would be a crying shame If the Kong game turned out to be crap, because I thought the demo was really poor. Let's hope it works better on consoles.
  • Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soul_Reaper polycounter lvl 18
    The fact that he loves games and seems to genuinely want good games rather than big selling games to go with his movies gives me all that much more respect for him.

As well as giving me more hope that the Halo movie will be great.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    I can't think of any way a movie based on Halo could not suck. It's Halo, for christ's sake.

Frank the Avenger
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Well, if it was called Halo but based on Marathon...
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I kind of think it points to bloated ego's on both sides. Jackson comes off looking like the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons while EA comes off as a mega corp not interested in what one cog has to say.

He is just going to do the same thing, blame Ubisoft for King Kong not selling like he thinks it should. It's what the comic book dork does, he can't help it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont really think peter jackson is like the comicbook guy at all.. the combook guy is just some stupid fan who thinks his opinion matters.. peter jackson actually created the lord of the rings movies, and he has every right in the world to be pissed at those crappy games.. i would pissed at this more than anything tho..

"Electronic Arts was not interested in input from the filmmaker" but had no problem marketing the games as though he was closely involved in their making.

WTF!!??
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    peter jackson actually created the lord of the rings movies

[/ QUOTE ]

He did? Wow! I thought it was a group effort. laugh.gif
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

He did? Wow! I thought it was a group effort.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is pointing out the comic book guy has no substance behind his harsh opinions, whereas peter jackson has LOTR's to pump believability in his arguments. It's almost as if you read people's posts to 'find' something to complain about...i know you do it to my posts.

-R
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Peter: "let's make the best game ever."
    EA: "agreed. let's make the best selling game ever."
    Peter: ¬_¬

[/ QUOTE ]

Peter: SoOooo.. Ubi what say you and I make a game?
    Ubi: Ok we'll rub you down in baby oil and call you momma
    Peter: sounds great, lets make the game I always wanted to make! I don't care how well it sells because I make my money from movies.
    Ubi: So, yes to the oil?

He blamed EA for not keeping true to his vision and asking him if every vert was in harmony with said vision. He'll blame Ubisoft for not selling the game when they hold true to his vision, but really he won't compalain that loud because Ubi will be the one taking it in the shorts for his creative vision.

Art is LAW! (except when it effects your bottom line).
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    oXYnary: Haha, good one! laugh.gif
    PaK: Get a sense of humour, dude wink.gif
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Bram stoker’s Dracula for the snes made me want to kill but I was too busy laughing at its supreme crappyness. So I'm all for licensed games not sucking. *cough*batman*cough*
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Daz, yeah Coppola seems pretty pissed about the Godfather game.

"They use the characters everyone knows, and they hire those actors to be there, and only to introduce minor characters. And then for the next hour they shoot and kill each other."

"I had absolutely nothing to do with the game and I disapprove. I think it's a misuse of film."

from http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=7920