Home Technical Talk

Normal Maps versus Low Res, Which first revisited.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
I was thinking that maybe Low Res might be better to begin with if nothing else because you can get it in the game to see what does and does not work.

Versus if you start with the high, then make the low and find problem areas with the game engine. You then have to go back and add/subtract from the high, rexport and fix.

Seems a more streamlined process? Am I missing something other than a anal art director?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'd usually prefer to start with the highpoly, since it determines the silhouette and, sometimes, the mesh density of the lowpoly.

Of course if it's a brand new engine and you need to test out what works/doesn't work with it, then yes, building rough models to test would be a good idea... but usually the process is fairly well documented and predictable, I'd think.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    startin from the low is the most restricting horrible workflow on the planet.. i was doing some contract work and thought "it would be better" to start with the low.. it was horrible and took a lot longer and the finished models were all pretty craptastic ..because you were so limited by the constraintes of the low poly.. thats why id, epic and any other company that has decent looking normals starts with high.. its just way easier and way less problems..
    i personally start with a midpoly mesh.. because i end up subdividing for the high anyway and i can can just subtract a little bit to get the low and reline up the mesh a bit.. all in all not much work at all..

as far as there being problems with the model in game after you make it.. unless your working in the dark ages there should be no problem.. most companies have what you see is what you get tools.. so what it looks like in the max viewport is how it will look in game.. at mythic we had a max plugin that actually started up the engine and you could check the shaders and animations and everything in engine before export.. most companies have tools like this.. there is no guess work anymore..
  • scanning_factor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scanning_factor polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

i personally start with a midpoly mesh.. because i end up subdividing for the high anyway and i can can just subtract a little bit to get the low and reline up the mesh a bit.. all in all not much work at all..

[/ QUOTE ]

Im going to second this, i usually start with the midpoly mesh and go up or down from there, it's just easier (personally) to be able to add detail where you need it and not worry about the constraints of a lo poly mesh.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    max plugin that actually started up the engine and you could check the shaders and animations and everything in engine before export.

[/ QUOTE ]After export, before save, I think you mean.

Did they have it running in a Max viewport, or as a separate process? I'm curious because we're looking into the former.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Eric: A guy over on the OGRE forums has got a 3dsmax viewport displaying the OGRE3D engine which is a real-time, in-engine version of your Max scene file, if I'm reading correctly.

Here's the thread link, maybe there's some information you can use there:

http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11520&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    max plugin that actually started up the engine and you could check the shaders and animations and everything in engine before export.

[/ QUOTE ]After export, before save, I think you mean.

Did they have it running in a Max viewport, or as a separate process? I'm curious because we're looking into the former.

[/ QUOTE ]

no you didnt export anything.. you just had the maxfile open hit the button and it would open up the scene in a seperate engine window, with lights and particle effects or anythign else you had in the max scene at the time.. from there you could move around the file play the animations or what ever.. then you would export .. and that was a not so easy really long and contrived horrible process..
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks MoP! Forwarded on to the responsible folks.

arshlevon, guess I'm being a bit overzealous but something has to be exported to make it run in another app.

I'm thinking the reason for the convoluted post-export is because things have to be compressed/trimmed down/swizzled into a game-friendly format, which may require artist decision-making. But IMO leaving it in a convoluted state is a bad management decision... though maybe they've seen the light since you've been gone. wink.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Gamebryo had a similar thing. You had a 'preview' button, which allowed you to see the work in the PC viewer, or view it
    on PS2, Xbox, etc. There is in fact an export, though. Much like Eric said, it needs to be exported somehow, in order for it to open in a seperate app.

The new engine we're getting though, has a similar feature to the Ogre3D engine that MoP posted. One of the viewport windows in 3ds max is actually the game engine, rendering the scene in real-time. The whole purpose of that of course, is WYSIWYG editing of your assests. It's really quite interesting, and I can't wait to get a hole of it smile.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    s far as there being problems with the model in game after you make it.. unless your working in the dark ages there should be no problem.. most companies have what you see is what you get tools.. so what it looks like in the max viewport is how it will look in game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm.. Well maybe it depends on the circumstances. A character a High poly would work fine because a character is one mesh. However, a vehicles with alot of attachements and joints could end up having to be "rethought" engineering wise a few times after putting in engine (as has happened to me). It would make no sense to make a nice looking high res version, then animate the low version or other and find out you need to remodel/rethink areas the concept artists sketched.

Plus the amount of optimizations sometimes needed gets rid of protusions. Since these just look funny on a normal map, you then have to get rid of these on the normal mapped version and re-export.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    Doesn't really matter what you do first, personal choice. Depending on what you're doing and the needs you'll want to do the one or the other first.

There can and will be problems either way here and there.

Once you get used to the process, correctly guessing how something will translate into a normalmap is as simple as modeling itself, so, there isnt really much to think about. Whatever serves you better.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I prefer the low. I sopend most of my time getting the look/design right, then do the high poly because I find the high stuff easier.

I always d te thing I find hardest to get it out of the way