Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

It Wasn't Your Day Comics (warning offensive)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
cholden polycounter lvl 18
As some of you already know, I've been writing humor for a while now, and was convinced to turn a few in to comics. Now that I'm up to thirty, I decided it could be fun to pimp them to see what kind of reaction I get around here. The art itself is shit, as I'm only concerned with the writing, and slowly developing a style I'm comfortable and speedy with.

As a fair warning, some of these are pretty offensive, but if that's what you like have a look at:

It Wasn't Your Day Comics

Here's a small section to give an idea what it's all about:

iwyd-11yaever.jpg

iwyd-03billymadeit.jpg

iwyd-23earlychristmas.jpg

If there are any you like, let me know. I'm certain there are a few that just won't make sense. You're looking deep in to my dark, twisted sense of humor.

Replies

• Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    hahaha i've always loved these chris. smile.gif
    Hilarious stuff.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    make a comic about penny-arcade paying off america's deficit.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    hahaha.

confirmed is a good one.

the ideas behind the comics are solid, but I'd like to see more time put into the drawings. I can well understand the charm you might be going after with such a look, but the artist in me cries for something a bit more refined.

funny stuff, though.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I don't see how it's offensive, but it is funny. smile.gif
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs: you're right, it's still in concept. I need to prove to myself I can write at least a certain number of these before I tackle an art style. It's coming together though, and has to be something I can do really fast. Most of these are drawn in no more than a few minutes. Maybe after 100. wink.gif

Makkon: some people arent so keen on religious jokes or killing children, but they aren't really my target audience. Who is my target audience? Jon Jones. laugh.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    reminds me a lot of PBF, which i'm sure you've heard before.

though one of the funniest aspects of that particular comic is its art style.

i laughed out loud at more than a few of your comics, so i think you've definately got something going.

one more thing... make <previous main next> buttons on the new window the comics bring up. makes for much more pleasant browsing, plus i can keep track of which ones i had already clicked on!
  • Jhotun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jhotun polycounter lvl 18
    The second one is terrible laugh.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    the second one would read better if you swapped it around to say "you're actually paralyzed"
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funny!

Your Jesus looks a lot like South Park's Jesus.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    hahahah chris, good stuff. =] definately worth pushing forward with, imo.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Now that Offesive comic is stopping you should just take over the nitch that he has I mean I guess he has 1000's of readers ..anyways pretty good I liked the first and 2nd one but at first I thought the first and 2nd was the same comic and it was actually a lot funnier when I thought that . I mean the guy gets stabbed and wakes up in the hosp. and the doctor messing with him , a lot better then just some guy waking up ..etc etc ... but I did'nt get the 3rd one ???
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, the theme reminds me of PBF too... that's a good thing, though!

After seeing "Ya Ever...?" then "Been Here", that 2nd one was hilarious, that humour is right up my street smile.gif

Skimming through quickly, the quality of the humour seems to vary a lot though... for example, "Courtesy" just didn't seem funny at all... although on the whole they are, I think there are a few you should prune out (like "Courtesy" and maybe "Early Christmas") since they don't reach the same quality.

Also, I guess this is just a proof-of-concept, but you really should fix all those spelling mistakes... I found 3 in the newest 9 comics.

Definitely should take these to a better class of art though, they deserve it. I'd read it if you updated weekly! smile.gif
  • El_PIG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    El_PIG polycounter lvl 18
    Haha, good stuff. I like the one with the hole and climbing up cement.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    i love it. Some of them offend me, like the 1st one...then i realise im just taking shit too seriously :P

You got somethin' here chris...

pogo: My office mates didnt get the third one either...he's teasing him about 'early xmas', which sounds awesome to a kid...and then says they stopped it, all the while it's a huge lie.

I guess chris' comics are about being just horrible to people who dont deserve it :P

-R
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I liked Wheelchair and DNA though they were all funny that I read.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks for the overwhelmingly good response everyone. I had generally been getting a good feedback from the small group of people I'd been testing them with.
    it's nice to know an even wider audience can appreciate them. I'm definitely going to keep these up with some heavy goals in mind. I'll keep my eye out for spelling errors and work on art'ing them up a bit more. It's not like I don't have the ability. Characters are starting to fill out. The earliest comics were stick men at best, but more recently they've been filled out with things like eyes and hair. PBF has been an inspiration, yes. More so in convincing me that I could do this too. Others are The Simpson's, The Far Side, and even Garfield.

MoP: Yes, "stabbed!" I planned as a running gag, and it goes along with your varying humor comment. Reminds me, I need to sneak another one of those in there soon. When I first started this, I found it'd quite difficult to write +10 comics without doing the same thing over again. With that, I end up with a few that aren't total winners, and could maybe referred to as "filler". Sometimes I have to prove to myself I can write a comic that isn't about some kid getting killed (courtesy). I'd compare it starting modeling how we start to look at things as a wireframe or how we might create something we see as a game asset.

I'll probably go ahead and change the layout over to something with frames for easy navigation. Now, to stop wasting my life with these video games, and get a career in comedic writing. :P
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Could always have guest artists do different comics, you've got a corral full of them here.

on second thought... that could end up being one big clusterfuck.
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    I don't really think they're funny, maybe because I dont understand them. Or they make no sence.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Haha, the second one is like something you'd see on a family guy episode.

Cep: In order for these to make sense I think you have to have a bit of a dark sense of humor.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I saw these on your website a while back when I was browsing it, I thought (and think) they're hilarious! That being said, I don't think they could be very successful, because they are too funny :P

I don't really agree with a "dark sense of humor", to me it is just the absurdity that is hilarious, and I can understand that a lot of people don't really like that. My favorite is how they say "stab" when they stab them :P I hope you keep making them!

EDIT: I just saw the "3rd world vetenarian." Awesome.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, Chris, I preferred the layout when the image was above the list... seems kinda weird having the list above the comic. Still, it's just temporary, I guess!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think a thread is complete until cep shows up and says he doesn't like it. That's the seal of "all's well" on polycount, and it's always a relief to see.

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't think they could be very successful, because they are too funny

[/ QUOTE ]

I've actually had this dicussion more than once. I've considered not using some, but it's all good. I still have pages and pages of unused jokes I'm saving up.

MoP: Ok I'll flip it for you. <kiss>
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    While you're being so accomodating, put a link in your sig next to your current link.

I'm lazy
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    Hey man, it's nothing personal, I just can't look at these and laugh, and sure, the're different sences of humor. But I don't see how anyone could find these funny.
    I'm saying this as if I'm missing something, not insulting, wich you seem to think.

I didn't even say I didn't like them.

Ps.
    Don't be a dick
    Pss.
    ^ dark humor, lol. Maybe not funny to you?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah, cep, you mistook me. I completely respect your opinion. I've worked with children before, so I know where you're coming from. I've spent year testing and understanding of what ages certain types of humor begin to make sense, and you're right. With your teenitis those hormones are taking your emotions all over the place. Hell, you could actually love these and wouldn't know it. wink.gif
    As stated, you making a negative post is a good thing, and this makes me happy. Not to mention more material for me.
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    Negative post? I was posting my opinion, and I didn't think it was negative at all.

But here you are, being biased, with a funnier sence of humor then the first, be it a negative one.
    The type of humor most commen with kids my age. So if you'fe going to compare me to a kid, and not like everyone else here, fine. But don't stoop to a level that you're mocking.

I was asking for a explaination at best, not letting my personal views get in the way of anything. And to note, I don't have any negative views towards you, until now.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Wheelchair is the best. I always love sadistic spins on God. Heck, my current wallpaper is even this comic.

Even Among Criminals and Confirmed are also great. Seriously, go for the offensive ones like those. There's ten billion comics that pussy-foot around anything remotely non-PC on the web, pushing the boundaries is what makes your comic worth coming back too.

Layout is horrible though. Scrolling list above the comic? You should be shot. Next and Previous buttons with a drop-down list and seperate archive page is the way to go.

EDIT: cep, there's this little thing called "perspective". When you tell someone their comic makes no sense and isn't funny, they will see that as negative. Not necessarily bad, just negative.
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    Another thing, My first two posts are pre-clicking on the link, some actually are laughable, but the three posted, I just can't seem to get.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay cep, here is the breakdown. The reasons these are funny follows:

1) The dude stabs the guy, and says "stab!"
    2) The doctor is making a joke of telling a child he has just been paralyzed
    3) Early Christmas would be awesome, except the kid missed out on it.

Now you have ruined it for me, having to explain it in such a un-funny way.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Ninjas: I thought that "Early christmas" thing was supposed to mean "Glad you did something useful for once, that's a first"
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, that one took me the longest to 'get'. Still, I stand by my interpretation.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Wheelchair! is quite good smile.gif
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, thanks guys. An interpretation dispute, I'm flattered.

I am now posting weekly comics! Starting with Tofu Surprise.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    This layout is much friendlier.

early chirstmas - dad makes kid go from happy to sad in hilariously underhanded manner. take that, son!
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    well, since we're on an earnest quest to analyse this stuff and drag it kicking and screaming into the church of joylessness (a bit like at the end of The Omen) ... i'll point out that i've been unable to crack a smile, i think it's something to do with the 3 frame format. The last frame always seems to come across as an exclamation mark/point although you're not actually using them in the text ... i dunno, it feels like someone is stood next to the reader going "Ta-da! Eh ... eh? EH?! Nudge nudge!", but it's not fitting with the style of humour.

schulz was the master here ... drew 4 frames, but usually would only make a joke in 3 or less. Comic timing in frame form.

Or ignore me, it's tricky to describe
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    haha - good stuff, Chris.