Home General Discussion

Magic system help?

Weiser_Cain
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
I'm a mess. I'm building a fantasy world from the ground up. Up till now I've been using mostly paper to keep track of things, but now I'm having trouble keeping track of the paper I use to keep track of things.

I'm stuck trying to design a flexible magic system and it's all getting a bit over my head. Any suggestions or tips on software and anything else that would help me out in this would be appreciated. Ideally I'd like to get it up and running in some game so I can play test it to see what would be horribly unbalancing.

Replies

• jzero
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    So you've got a bunch of spells and rules written down, and you can't keep track of all the scraps of paper? Sounds like you need some index cards. Just standardize the way you write down stuff, and do it on the cards. Of course, that's like a simple database. Ever made a database?

I have an old copy of FileMaker Pro on my Mac at home, that would be simple to set up as a filing system, but I have no idea what you have access to. I know that people avoid MS Access like the plague...

/jzero
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    If you're going to go index cards how about a rolodex?