Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Orc Blademaster

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
El_PIG polycounter lvl 18
I rarely texture. Therefore I'm texturing and struggling with my art-queen standards with this Orc Blademaster:

Blademaster_22.jpg

My unoriginality is based off of this Samwise concept from Warcraft 3:

WarCraft_Samwise019b.jpg
A more colorful rendition.

Right now I'm getting the skin tidied up & uniform (like the pecs & shoulders). It has gone slow and getting a feel for things hasn't really clicked yet:

Blademaster_21.jpg

So that's the current state of things. I'm trying to light a fire under my ass and hope to update this more often than not.

Blademaster_24.jpg

Blademaster_25.jpg

Yeah... that back looks all wrong...

Replies

• Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    In my opinion you need to look up some references of back muscles. also you need to lessen the shading so there isn't such pronounced muscles.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    hi phill, great work. love'n the texture yur getting. i like a lot of areas of the texture. the arms and sholders look nice. i think you've got some issues with the forms and anatomy. i did a paint-ovar.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/killnpc/Blademaster_24copy.jpg

love,
    the animals of cory forest
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    I can't comment on the muscles as I always need to look them up myself. I love the wrinkles on his skin and the color tones. I think it's a great reptile like skin base. As a suggestion I would try some kind of overlay layer to get some more variation and some kind of texture on the flat parts of his skin.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Then you have to model Kp's pissed of onion as his familiar.
  • CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    SDK please...
    this guy is great for an "armor up" SDK.
  • Squirrely Jones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squirrely Jones polycounter lvl 18
    I like the amount of detail in the texture and while I won't comment on the muscle structure, I'll comment on the shading :P

You want to shade the muscle as if there were a light source somwhere, right now what you have is pretty much a depth map. If you were using a normal map from a high poly model this would be fine but your not. I've attached an image to show what I mean.
    orc.jpg
    This is overdoing it a little but you should get the idea. Also instead of pronouncing each muscle 100%, just put a little pinch around the corners and smooth the rest out. Don't have long creases like on the chest, just put a little bit in the center and feather it out. You can see on your concept where the pinches should be. Hope I'm not overstepping my bounds.