Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Naomi Armitage

spider2cool
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
about 3 years ago, about a year after I got into 3d modeling, I made Naomi Armitage. I even tried putting up a small webpage to show off my model. well 3 years later I have improved some and I have gotten better programs, so I decided to remake her.

I already made the gun which can be found here:
http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=74096&an=0&page=1#74096

also the old webpage I had with the old model can be found here:
http://members.tripod.com/~spider2cool/public_html/Armitage_III.html
well here she is the new improved Naomi Armitage.
withjacket2id.th.jpg
withoutjacket5ru.th.jpg
wires7ax.th.jpg
crits and comments welcome so fire away. please compare the two models and tell me what you like or dislike about either and how they compare. I also want to take a toll on rather or not I should make her shades or not. take note I realized I messed the things on her wrists, I am going to fix that. well thats all I got for now.

Replies

• spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i fixed the wrist thing.
    hand9kn.th.jpg
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Pure wires are hard to read, it helps to leave the solid mesh in there to hide the backside.

The face looks spaced out, might want to look into that (eyes too wide?).

In the 3/4 view there's an obvious angle in the mouth, that shouldn't happen, round the area a bit.

The shadow of the jaw shouldn't go up to the front of the ears, that makes it look like a beard. The ears connect directly to the end of the jaw.

The breast looks messy, you might want to use a circular flow there that follows the shape instead of a general horizontal flow to define the shape with fewer polygons.

And forward facing palms make no sense, they really should face downward.

It looks like an improvement over the previous model but the images aren't comparable, the old one is lit and this one isn't. I'd like to see how vertex lighting looks on your model.
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, KDR_11k, i spaced out the eyes, I think i fixed the mouth, the beard is gone, i rounded out the breasts more and made them a little bigger, on the unposed model the hands are now facing down. here is a side by side comparison to a reference pose. the 1st one is not perspeciv, it is also unrenderd so the hair looks funny. the second one is rendered in perspecive. I can already see som things i need to fix. please C&C incase you see something I don't.
    posedunrendered5vw.th.jpg
    posedrendered8ks.th.jpg
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With spaced out I meant it looks like she's drugged. The eyes look huge and half closed. Half closed in a relaxed way that looks like she isn't fully conscious.

The side to side comparison suggests her pants should start a bit higher but that's probably neglectable, just say she's wearing her belt a bit wider today tongue.gif.

Maybe a few shots with lighting would help, there can be lighting problems in a mesh that aren't obvious immediately.
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made the skin to match the look in Dual-Matrix. References can be found here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/phoenix2000/gallery/gallery-dual-3.html

I realized what KDR ment about the eyes when I made this texture. So I think i fixed the eyes. as always C&C welcome. keep in mind that since the original model is based on the original armitage that the new skin will be off because of it.
    dualmatrixstyle25zn.th.jpg
    dualmatrixstyle5hf.th.jpg
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    The proportions in the comparison pic look really close, just the feet are too small in comparison and the hair is different (is the hair from a different ref?) For the skin, I would go for a gradient midtone instead of a flat color. You really did a great job on the gun.
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my friend seyiji insisted that I add the Heaven's door skin thing on her back. so I did. I also changed the skin color and changed the eyes. here is a cuple of updates as well as a reference pic. I know it is not exact but I think it looks close enough. as always c&c welcome.
    sdoor9cj.th.jpg
    skincolor3gl.th.jpg
    the reference for the back
    NaomiBack3.jpg
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i made a nice little artistic pose showing off the new skin.
    dualpose1pk.th.jpg
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You still haven't posted a single pic with lighting.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    cause it is cartoon style and textures are 100% iluminated, the shader does the lightniung work.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unless it's completely fullbright and doesn't even use a celshader the vertex normals will matter.
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i am unsure what you mean by "with lighting" I am putting lighting, that is why there is a shadow on the wall. point me to a good ref of what you mean by lighting. by the way did you get my email, KDR, about this model. I was wondering how you felt about that. hit me up with an email.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, must've missed the second part of that mail. Shouldn't be hard to do.

With "lack of lighting" I mean that there's no shading on the model, even when you're using a celshader you should post a normally shaded picture of the model to spot bad normals.
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok...i took off 100% self illumination. so here she is.
    lighting3ol.jpg
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There seems to be some strange shading on the boots and the outer part of the hips, for example. and I think the cheeks are too pronounced.
  • Seyiji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seyiji polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah KDR is right about the cheeks they seem abit too....puffy kinda like she is holding her breath and getting ready to exhale smile.gif

Never noticed that before in the self illuminated version.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't find the proportions very appealing so I made some quicky adjustments.
    The head less wide, shortened the neck, and scaled her from the waist down much wider and longer:
    http://chrisholden.net/spider2scaled.jpg
    without these wider hips, she suffers far too much from man-shoulders.
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    totally diggin your crits, cholden. that does look alot better. i will se what i can do to fix that. and kdr I will look into what you were talking about.
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, after several pushes from different people, I made a skin of the 2 replicas. I still have some tweeking to do on the skins (seams keep showing up in the glamor shots). I will post some other pics of the two once i get the kinks worked out.
    dualarmpose1ns.th.jpg
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok...i figured out the problem with the seam. here is a pose with both in two views.
    skating5ui.th.jpg
    skating21uo.th.jpg