Home General Discussion

DVR/DVD Recorder reviews?

I'm looking to replace our aging VHS deck with a DVD Recorder, and I'm wondering where you all go to get video hardware reviews?

I'd love a site like dpreview, but for video. Over there they have a lot of user feedback, so I can really get a sense of which cameras break more than others. Reliability just can't be covered in a main review, but that's a big issue with new hardware, IMO. Their reviews are great too, very thorough.

If you're curious, I'm looking for a deck that has a HD, can edit out commercials before burning a DVD, has an IR blaster for controlling a satellite receiver (DirecTV) and a scheduling system for time-shifted recording, is NOT a TiVo or subscription-based service (don't wanna shell out monthly $ for something I rarely use), records at least DVD-R and DVD-RAM, has firewire & svideo in, and has at least component out.

Anyhow, still searching around. I like Cnet so far, but wondering what other resources others have found out there.

Oh, and we have small kids, so I want to dub our favorite kiddie VHS tapes to DVD. The ones we want to save are not Macrovision-protected. Only doubts I have are durability of recorded DVDs, since our kiddie music CD collection gets beat up pretty bad. Guess I'll just keep backups in a safe place...

Replies

• Hunter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter polycounter lvl 18
    Zdent, cnet, PCmag etc.. All great places to read various reviews about products.. I always do prior research before making a purchase.. The last item I happened to buy was a Sony mini DVD camcorder.. Excellent piece of electronic with a touch activated viewscreen, all sorts of special effect wipes and fades, Dolby 5.1 sound and the option to use DVD-RW over and over agaian .. coool..
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. Cnet and ZDnet seem to be the same content, which I found to be limited. PCMag covers DVD burners, but not decks to hook up to your TV.