Home General Discussion

PSP 2.50 Update with 'Location Free' add-on

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
flaagan polycounter lvl 18
As of this post, the update's only available through the network update, but it'll probably on the site shortly.
Write-up about the new 'location free' feature.

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, that sounded like they finally dropped that idiotic region coding... Too bad.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    in a way, it does, since you could the 'location free' source can even be a dvd player or whatnot (granted it probably has to be a sony one).
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Ha, the new 'must have' update to ensure 'no homebrew' again tongue.gif

Anyways, interesting thing about this is that one part of sony is working against another (again).
    There was recently an article on Slashdot (I think, might have been Heise.de though) where the struggle between Microsoft and Sony about the new BlueRay/HD-DVD standart was discussed.
    Basicly Mircosofts idea was that HD-DVD's DRM/copyprotection was less strict and would allow streaming of content over a (home)network, which they see as an essencial feature of the future MediaPC.
    On the other hand there is Sony lobbying for BlueRay which has an even stricter DRM/copyprotection, which among others does not allow for streaming.

So that really is a dog biting its own tail confused.gif

(Funny side note, this is one of the few cases where Microsoft is helping the customer laugh.gif Even though not too much since a DRM free system would of course be the best mad.gif ).
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    but have we gotten homebrew on 2.0 yet? and does this mean 2.5 will be forced with LCS?
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    No but 2.0 had a flaw that allowed going back to 1.5.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    well i've still got 1.5 loaded... but i'm definitely upgrading for LCS.