Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

centibaby final v.1

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
centibaby05.jpg
sorry to post this again, i just wanted to show you guys him posed. i was organizing my files and i found the centibaby textures i had lost! i was stoked, so i made a quick rig for posing. good thing i was playing around with burning textures that day... c&c is welcome as per usual!

Replies

• steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    awesome!!
    so creepy
    maybe give the teddy bear one button eye and a missing eye stitch
    i had a dream about a nasty creepy crawly thing in my bed the other night and i woke up and flew out of my bed pumped full of adrenaline and checked my covers ten times while holding up a ready shoe
    doodled him in class a while back when you first posted him
    centibaby.jpg
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    great stuff man, glad to see centibaby back again. i think a clear point is that i'd like to see a more confident transition between the baby skin and shell, particularly on the back. something that has a really smooth, gross-out transition between the two, or perhaps something more abrupt. but i'm sure you'll get on smoothing out that transition anyhow.... in fact i have no real crits for you since i know you'll handle this with aplomb. keep it up man smile.gif
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    that dreaded transition.. i hear ya gauss, you have more faith in me than i do.

rad drawing steady HA ha!
    i had a roach run across my chest when i was sleeping one time, i can relate, i ninja kicked the fucking fan. i hate roaches, they suck.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    I love this model smile.gif

I think the texture could use some work with both specularity and contrast, on all areas, but in particular, the belly and back of the centipede parts.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    just look down at your glowing red what would kenneth scott do? bracelet and think about it. transitional areas like that, especially since the two materials are so different, is going to be pretty nasty. you're basically looking at skin transitioning into chitin.... which, actually, isn't that far off from what your finger nails are made of. so again, that suggests a more abrupt transition, but one that in some way is marked by the centipede-y bit being inset into the skin.

orrrrrr we can conjecture that the transitional portion "fades" into the chitin on a more microscopic level, such that the lower you get the higher percentage of chitin (or chitin-like) material it becomes. so how would little centibaby's skin react? i think you need to add in another color in the transition area... try and grab reference pics on the net of people with really really worn and leathery skin. i think that's the kind of coloration and texture you want to suggest in the transitional area until the green takes over. right now the skin tones fades into it, but it doesn't look disturbed.

ok don't read all of that (too late!) you need some of the action that's going on on his jaw to be happening on the belly. here's a quick paintover, since it's better than me blathering on. don't forget to put that bloody heart back on! i thought that was an excellent touch.

kp_centibaby.jpg

also: i don't want to see anything lower than a '9' as far as jpeg compression goes from you, mister. your work is great and we're not in the early 90's when everyone had to compress the hell out of every image. let the artwork siiiiing!
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool work man smile.gif

I definately agree with GAUSS about the transition though. It doesnt make sense to have the bottom of the face all mutated and scarred, combined with the whole dark feel of the piece... to have such a clean transition 'betwixt babe and beast'

It would work much better if you carried the deformity of the facial scarring into the transition area like GAUSS shows, even more heavily than he outlined in his paintover though - to keep everything looking sick and twisted.

Giving the teddy-bear one button eye, one limb missing or an evil grin or something would also work well to give it a little bit more character/ visual focus as it looks a little under-detailed compared to the baby.

Great work all-round dooood smile.gif
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    OMG that thing is still around KP, WTF LAZY HAR HAR HAR

Yo gauss, THat is a GOOOD paintover. U WIN SIR!
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Too take Gauss's paintover a little further to illustrate what I was saying -

kp_centibaby.jpg

The belly could probably use quite a bit more work. There should be some segmentation going on in there...